Should the parry box be smaller / more square?

• As of right now, its a tall rectangle. One thing that always grinds my gears is that there is no way to go for leg shots, even if the opponent is looking up. Changing this would add more options for an attack and make blocking more difficult. Also, the larger parrybox can cause some backwards parrying as well.

Do you think parry turn speed should be reduced slightly? Maybe keep shield turn speed the same and width the same to give shields something over parries.

Do you think the overall width of the parry box should be reduced slightly?

On a somewhat related note, butthole blocking still happens too frequently. No, im not talking about the visual glitch caused by latency, im talking about over half my attacks are attacking his bum or his spine because I get him to look in the wrong direction, yet the block still happens. I’m going to assume that is caused by parry boxes lingering as they move.

• It would need testing, but it sounds interesting, more options is good IMO.

• Yes yes yes yes and yes.
    As you may know I have written on this extensively. The parry window is terribly flawed because it is an arbitrary floating invisible box of protection that lags behind when you turn too fast then snaps into place. There is also no way to tell when or how long it is active other than relying on the parry animation.

I have argued for the parry window to be actually attached to the weapon much like projectile protection is attached to the shield. It should also be related to that weapon in size and shape but scaled up.

I have also argued for a tap and holdable parry with a much smaller box for exactly swinging under/over parrys.

If the parry window was actually attached to the weapon there would be no worry about turn parry speed which should be slightly faster than that of the attack turn speed.

• @Retsnom:

holdable parry

Please, not again.

• @gndo:

Please, not again.

Sorry that you do not have the vision to understand the differences and how it would in no way make shields feints or drags obsolete because of the much smaller size and the need for more accurate parrying…

• No, it would be way too easy to drag around attacks. Everyone would go SoW, LS, Greatsword and Zweihander because stab dragging would be incredibly easy.

And shut up about holdable parry Retsnom holy shit. We get it, you want to change the way combat works, good for you. Make a mod.

• what I cannot have an opinion based on his question? Jesus, qq lols And no, I just want more options in defense than relying on a fail mechanic

• @Flippy:

No, it would be way too easy to drag around attacks. Everyone would go SoW, LS, Greatsword and Zweihander because stab dragging would be incredibly easy.

You dont think parrying is too easy at the moment? I think it is. The better players become, the easier it is to block. I’ve noticed that the overall skill of players’ blocking now compared to what it was over 6 months ago is much higher.

I used to be able to Z-stab and mindgame attack angle combos consistently against even the best defenders back then; now it is FAR harder, nearly impossible (especially with butthole blocking bugs going off more than ever). Just like how people get better aim in shooters, people get really adept at blocking – the difference is that blocking in this game is way too easy. I hardly fall for that stuff now either.

Shouldn’t the game be balanced around the best players? As of right now, attack manipulation is just a little too weak in comparison to simple feints (besides reverse overheads, I want different manipulations to be more viable).

Perhaps if it started to become harder to block, maybe the recovery time should be quicker (by like 0.05 to 0.1), which is also a feint nerf. Depends how much more difficult it is to block.

Not asking for huge changes here, just small ones. One thing that HAS to happen is the ability to be able to attack someone’s feet though. As of right now it is simply just not an option at all, because the parry box is too TALL. Making it more square would be a step in the right direction.

• @NoVaLombardia:

You dont think parrying is too easy at the moment? I think it is. The better players become, the easier it is to block. I’ve noticed that the overall skill of players’ blocking now compared to what it was over 6 months ago is much higher.

I used to be able to Z-stab and mindgame attack angle combos consistently against even the best defenders back then; now it is FAR harder, nearly impossible (especially with butthole blocking bugs going off more than ever). Just like how people get better aim in shooters, people get really adept at blocking – the difference is that blocking in this game is way too easy. I hardly fall for that stuff now either.

Shouldn’t the game be balanced around the best players? As of right now, attack manipulation is just a little too weak in comparison to simple feints (besides reverse overheads, I want different manipulations to be more viable).

Perhaps if it started to become harder to block, maybe the recovery time should be quicker (by like 0.05 to 0.1), which is also a feint nerf. Depends how much more difficult it is to block.

Not asking for huge changes here, just small ones. One thing that HAS to happen is the ability to be able to attack someone’s feet though. As of right now it is simply just not an option at all, because the parry box is too TALL. Making it more square would be a step in the right direction.

All of this applies mostly to duels. In duels, yes drags aren’t very effective. In scrims however they’re incredibly effective, with the potential to do much more damage than feints. We just scrimmed Sin earlier and RAW BONER took out 4 people by himself in less than 10 seconds with just greatsword drags. Drags are fine and still perfectly viable, just not in duels.

Duels suck.

• @Flippy:

Make a mod.

But how can we be expected to play on mods when they dont give XP :(

YOU WANT US TO PLAY THE GAME FOR FUN OR SOMETHING!??!?1

• @Flippy:

Duels suck.

It seems like this is a repeating theme…

• @Flippy:

All of this applies mostly to duels. In duels, yes drags aren’t very effective. In scrims however they’re incredibly effective, with the potential to do much more damage than feints. We just scrimmed Sin earlier and RAW BONER took out 4 people by himself in less than 10 seconds with just greatsword drags. Drags are fine and still perfectly viable, just not in duels.

Duels suck.

You act like I ever speak for or have ever spoken for balance in duels. Never said they weren’t viable, they are just are not as strong as they should be, especially as people get even better than now.

• Personally, I think that it would have to be reduced only by a small amount. The first person camera just doesn’t always accurately show the actual location of an enemy’s realtime swing. If it were to be reduced too much, parrying would be too hard. IMO parrying is at a pretty good difficulty, with the exception of backparrying being so frequent nowadays. The only reason I would want it reduced is because of backparries.

Like I said, the first person camera isn’t always super accurate, so leg shots would be a bit too hard I think. I would have to test it to decide though.

The turnspeed is fine imo, making it slower would be hell. Parrying z stabs would just be torture. I can parry a z stabs very frequently at the moment but it isn’t super easy or anything. It takes a lot of anticipation if your enemy can fake it well.

• Do you understand how hard its going to be to defend yourself against multiple people if blocks are made harder?

I mean right now doing that it depends if your opponents are braindead or not and even then they can still get lucky m8. Hell the only classes that can fight v many are the ones that don’t have to block at all. If anything blocking should be made easier by buffing CFTP so you can block during all of your windup instead of just the feintable part of it.

• Mod

I’d like to say no, but saying no to these threads is like saying no to Panda…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X21mJh6j9i4

• @NoVaLombardia:

You act like I ever speak for or have ever spoken for balance in duels. Never said they weren’t viable, they are just are not as strong as they should be, especially as people get even better than now.

Well, when someone is able to win a 1v4 with nothing but drags I think it’s safe to say that they are plenty strong.

• @Flippy:

Well, when someone is able to win a 1v4 with nothing but drags I think it’s safe to say that they are plenty strong.

You act like that happens often. If anyone wins a 1v4, let alone a 1v2 its because the other players fucked up… and they fucked up hard (and weren’t at full health).

• @NoVaLombardia:

You act like that happens often. If anyone wins a 1v4, let alone a 1v2 its because the other players fucked up… and they fucked up hard (and weren’t at full health).

And because the player who won the 1vX is extremely skilled and played nearly perfectly.

• @Flippy:

And because the player who won the 1vX is extremely skilled and played nearly perfectly.

Regardless of how perfect someone plays, if you are outnumbered (and at high enough health to not get 1 shot), the people with greater numbers dictate at least 90% of the outcome Refer to any highly competitive game regarding players of near equal skill level.

Don’t forget, I’m not even looking for a width decrease necessarily, I’m looking for a height decrease. There’s something buggy about the parry system at the moment anyway if butthole blocking happens that often.

• @NoVaLombardia:

Regardless of how perfect someone plays, if you are outnumbered (and at high enough health to not get 1 shot), the people with greater numbers dictate at least 90% of the outcome Refer to any highly competitive game regarding players of near equal skill level.

Which is why the parry box should stay the same.