Balance Discussion

• You have now to “UN-aim”, before you can switch to your sword

When you place that portable shield, the sword is automatically selected

The way how your character looks down while reloading

All are bugs, so I can assure you they will be fixed, I just don’t know when.

• We need more one-hit kills, really. In the original mod there were a lot of one-hit kill combinations. In this one, not as much.

• @SlyGoat:

Continuing from my Archer post, and considering all this MaA debate going on, it’s a good thing I’m going in order.

This class is very powerful but extremely unforgiving. The only time I’ll die to a slash spammer is when I’m playing MaA, because it only takes one mistake and even a good player will make mistakes no matter who they’re fighting…

Yep. Pretty much agree on all points. I’ve put about 100 hours into MAA. I use Norse almost always, but I’ve been meaning to try the Dane. Only thing I might not agree on is Morning Star being better than Flanged Mace. Morning Star can be painfully slow imo, and Flanged can 2 hit softies, and Vans too if you throw in a head smack.

I never put on a shield. They obscure my vision too much.

• @frozenknife:

We need more one-hit kills, really.

Why? I don’t like being killed with a single strike/bolt/arrow.

• @Faranox:

@frozenknife:

We need more one-hit kills, really.

Why? I don’t like being killed with a single strike/bolt/arrow.

It is satisfying to pull of and it is punishing for mistakes. Dying is an important part of the game and i feel one-hit kills added to game.

If anything getting repeatedly hit is a lot more frustrating.

• I only get frustrated when it takes more than 3 hits with Greatsword to kill. Then a guy with a tiny hammer swings 2 times in the span of my one swing and kills me with body shots.

• @Mkilbride:

I only get frustrated when it takes more than 3 hits with Greatsword to kill. Then a guy with a tiny hammer swings 2 times in the span of my one swing and kills me with body shots.

There is an inconsistency between weapons, yes. Specially the bigger weapons.

Saber is an example. Short sword is just better, and in the realism way of things saber was a lot more damaging than a short sword.

Sprinting speed should be adjusted, and maybe times too.

I believe knights should be sprinting rather slowly but consistently for a long time.
    Vanguards faster than knights, for a medium to long time. Also when triggered, charge should be the fastest, could be able to close gaps.
    Man-at-arms being a little faster than vanguards, but for long periods of time.
    Archers a little slower than man-at-arms, but for an infinite amount of time.

• @frozenknife:

I believe knights should be sprinting rather slowly but consistently for a long time.
    Vanguards faster than knights, for a medium to long time. Also when triggered, charge should be the fastest, could be able to close gaps.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but how did you come up with those figures? Are you suggesting that the lightest armored unit should be slower than something else in the game? How should the least encumbered unit, the archer which lives solely on creating distance between himself and the enemy, be slower than a more heavily armed unit? And why should a charge be the fastest mode of travel in the game? The entire idea of a charge is ludacris and just a gamerism to artificially create more action, but why should the second most heavily armed unit in the game suddenly become the fastest?

• In my very limited time played this game I have found a general flaw in GameDesign/Balance

All the weapons have stats that are supposed to differentiate the weapons.
    But its sort of counter-intuitive in this game because things tend to die very fast so a small % to damage give no advantage whatsoever…
    Its much more convenient to look at weapons and say this will 2hit a knight and this will 3hit a knight

for example a retarded misbalance occurs when you compare Maul to Warhammer
    Warhammer 2hit everything with 65% speed!
    Maul not 1 hit everything with 19% speed…

I would make a huge writeup about how balance should be represented in a melee environment, but some of the weapons seem to lack specialty… like what are axes supposedly good at? In Warband axes would obliterate shields for example.
    Do maces have greater hit-stun?
    If its just my inexperience talking then I would ask you to apologize me, I am still new to this game.

• @frozenknife:

If anything getting repeatedly hit is a lot more frustrating.

I disagree. More one-hit-kills would degrade the skill required to play. It would become a game of who hit who first as opposed to strategic management of your distance, feints, combos, etc.

• is there a secret weapon speed increase for maa’s? because for some reason when im playing a knight and i use the norse sword which is fast, very fast, faster than those blunt weapons that maa’s favor so much, that even after i swing and even if i hit, they still can out spam, its like they have no actual swing, just a wind up then a hit, wind up then a hit. seriously nerf those sob’s. dbz dodging, faster attack speeds with same weapons that they share with others, nearly infinite stam and even IF they run out it regens in like 1.2 seconds anyway. theyre parry dodge out then dodge in then spam you down is rediculous. they cannot be outspammed no matter who you play or weapon you use. omg seriously lol!

• It feels a lot different when you play the MAA, actually ;)

• Shared weapons have the same speeds regardless of class.

• I know some other people mentioned blocking, and I would also like to input my thoughts as this has really frustrated me as of late.

I play XBOW because I love the weapon and I enjoy the reward of being skilled with the shortsword/dagger and being able to take out a MaA or other class. However, I feel like there is absolutely no incentive to block attacks. Normally, I’d block an attack and attempt to capitalize on the opening that you’d imagine would be there by counter-attacking. Very quickly I’ve learned that against most melee classes, you CANNOT win a fight like this almost ever. I feel like I am forced to keep blocking and keep blocking and hope that support comes to my aid because I know that as soon as I attempt to swing my sword/dagger that he WILL land his just about as quickly as I will and he’ll do more damage (given his class).

I understand that a MaA/knight should be stronger at melee combat as opposed to archers. Their inherent advantages over archers should only reaffirm that a blocked attack should have consequence for them. What normally happens is I BLOCK… COUNTER ATTACK… will usually land this counter attack… at the same time take a much more damaging attack as quickly as the attack I put out.

Just my two cents. I feel like playing an archer is very high risk… to the point that I changed classes after having this happen to me multiple times in a row… and instantly felt like I was effective in melee combat.

• i have played as maa and can dominate fairly well with its overpowering abilities but i do not like to play cheesey like that, i dont like to run in and spam someone down then run away and act like im king of the game or some bs. so im not just talking without having played it to some extent, i NEVER see them swing, the one class… its just wind up and hit as i said, i have to block on the wind up or get hit. any other class i fight against if im late on blocking while theyre winding up i can see the swing and react 90% of the time with a parry or block, but not against an maa. i prefer knight without a shield and using a norse sword myself along with the maul if i can actually hit anyone witht that slow weapon but with the norse sword its the only way to really land hits without being a cowardly ninja. i gotta parry to thrust, over and over, or sometimes if able a slash to thrust then parry thrust. its about all i have, im not one to just run around blindly swinging my weapon at peoples backs and such and calling it skill. anyway, this tactic works on 3/4 classes, you can guess which one it does not in any shape, way or form work against because i swear they can spam like a machinegun. maybe all classes are completely weapon based but it sure doesnt feel like it, no matter which side im on, recieving or giving! its like they dont even get stunned when theyre hit either, i can go in first and actually land a hit sometimes, and go for my combo to finish them but mid combo they just spam me back down. makes no sense.

• Dent, I don’t have the same problems with the dagger, only that it takes a long time to kill someone and by that time a 3rd party usually gets involved. If you are close enough on your counter you should have enough time that your swing will interrupt theirs if they don’t block in turn. If you keep the combo going though you will end up hit trading and that is a losing battle.

So one, try being closer after your block and try to attack immediatly after you hear the block clang. Another thing to try is to add a slight delay to your hits, wait a half second so the next impact will interrupt them rather than letting them tank it and get their swing up.

Also remember that at this point man people just don’t know how to block, have bad timing, and or don’t know weapon lengths etc, so it’s hard to fully judge class balance this early into release, in addition balance can vary from gamemode and map, eg lms ruins is great for archers, maul is great in moshpit backstabbing situations, but sucks in a duel etc.

• @Guts:

i have played as maa and can dominate fairly well with its overpowering abilities but i do not like to play cheesey like that, i dont like to run in and spam someone down then run away and act like im king of the game or some bs. so im not just talking without having played it to some extent, i NEVER see them swing, the one class… its just wind up and hit as i said, i have to block on the wind up or get hit. any other class i fight against if im late on blocking while theyre winding up i can see the swing and react 90% of the time with a parry or block, but not against an maa. i prefer knight without a shield and using a norse sword myself along with the maul if i can actually hit anyone witht that slow weapon but with the norse sword its the only way to really land hits without being a cowardly ninja. i gotta parry to thrust, over and over, or sometimes if able a slash to thrust then parry thrust. its about all i have, im not one to just run around blindly swinging my weapon at peoples backs and such and calling it skill. anyway, this tactic works on 3/4 classes, you can guess which one it does not in any shape, way or form work against because i swear they can spam like a machinegun. maybe all classes are completely weapon based but it sure doesnt feel like it, no matter which side im on, recieving or giving! its like they dont even get stunned when theyre hit either, i can go in first and actually land a hit sometimes, and go for my combo to finish them but mid combo they just spam me back down. makes no sense.

Pretty sure with the no visible swing thing you’re just dealing with people who have better pings than you. This sometimes happens to me with any class - a few times a day I get hit by a polearm that is still completely behind the vanguard on windup. It’s not something that can be fixed by balance changes.

MAA is powerful in that it can manipulate opponents and keep the initiative through agility. But it takes significant skill to consistently predict and react to an opponent’s actions. Having played MAA exclusively for a couple weeks, I can’t see that they have any overpowering advantage over the other classes. Anything they do can be countered by the right strategy, tactics, and gear selection. If what you’re doing isn’t working, maybe try something different.

• @Red:

@frozenknife:

Don’t take this the wrong way, but how did you come up with those figures? Are you suggesting that the lightest armored unit should be slower than something else in the game? How should the least encumbered unit, the archer which lives solely on creating distance between himself and the enemy, be slower than a more heavily armed unit? And why should a charge be the fastest mode of travel in the game? The entire idea of a charge is ludacris and just a gamerism to artificially create more action, but why should the second most heavily armed unit in the game suddenly become the fastest?

Man-at-arms is fastest and can run for a long time.
    Then archer but archer can sprint indefinetely
    Then vanguard, but when you click the mouse button, you charge for a split second before jumping.
    And the slowest is knight, but can run for a long time.

I don’t know how did you understand knights being faster than archer from what i wrote.

• Also classes have indefinite sprint. Also, don’t forget if you’re directly behind an opponent, you will always catch up to them. If you’re sprinting directly behind an enemy, you will have more speed than them regardless of class, this is to prevent people running away from fights (does not work in FFA currently).

• I think the Knight needs some tuning because i was using the man at arms and getting my ass handed to me, but as soon as i used the knight i became the top of the leaderboard. what im saying is i think the knight has too much stamina, im using him and swinging like a mad man and not getting fatigued