Balance Discussion

• @Hive:

All I know is that unlocking spears was very difficult. Once I got Halberd, the stab animation put ALL the spears to shame. This is a problem, any way you slice it.

The only reason I pick the Halberd over the Brandistock is that the Halberd can combo and the Brandistock can’t.

For someone who just wants to stab the Halberd is not the best option. The spears are better at it and should be, because obviously that is what they are designed to do. The only problem I have with spears is the Fork, which is utterly useless.

• @AgentOrange:

For someone who just wants to stab the Halberd is not the best option. The spears are better at it and should be, because obviously that is what they are designed to do. The only problem I have with spears is the Fork, which is utterly useless.

Aye, I’m fairly new and I already think the most imbalanced weapons in the Vangaurd arsenal are the spears. The Thrusting Spear with the massive range and rapid thrusting attacks can really dominate, as can the Bandistock although I still prefer Spear for speed, whilst every time I go with the Fork I get my head caved in before I have a chance to do real dmg.

I’m not sure what it is that gimps the poor Fork so much, or maybe it’s just the way I play. Perhaps a small buff in dmg is required to make it effective? Thoughts?

Incidently, as to the previous discussion on Halberd balance I must say I’ve had no issues either using it or playing against it. To me it seems like a balanced weapon that can be easily countered with a Thrusting Spear’s superior reach, dashing/sidestepping MAAs (esp, if the halberd user is spamming thrust) or a Knight with a shield/good blocking skill.

• @chihuahua:

I’m not sure what it is that gimps the poor Fork so much, or maybe it’s just the way I play. Perhaps a small buff in dmg is required to make it effective? Thoughts?

Good suggestion. I do believe the fork was already buffed with the last patch and I have not used it recently, so maybe it is somewhat better now.

Incidently, as to the previous discussion on Halberd balance I must say I’ve had no issues either using it or playing against it. To me it seems like a balanced weapon that can be easily countered with a Thrusting Spear’s superior reach, dashing/sidestepping MAAs (esp, if the halberd user is spamming thrust) or a Knight with a shield/good blocking skill.

Exactly. Getting in close also works wonders. I usually sidestep their thrust which leaves them open for a free hit or even a combo if they are not paying attention.

• Honestly you guys have no idea what the hell you’re talking about. A good player dominates, a bad player doesn’t… The spears are NO WHERE near as strong as they used to be… You can barely use them now against anyone who even knows how to play the damn game.

If you’re new and don’t know how to play that’s YOU not the game mechanics.

• @chlywly:

Honestly you guys have no idea what the hell you’re talking about. A good player dominates, a bad player doesn’t… The spears are NO WHERE near as strong as they used to be… You can barely use them now against anyone who even knows how to play the damn game.

If you’re new and don’t know how to play that’s YOU not the game mechanics.

Who are you even talking to? If me, I didnt say spears were op, just imbalanced in terms of having a near reduntant weapon in the Fork. Learn to read.

You can dominate easily with spears in their current state but less so the fork than the other two, that was the discussion being had with spears. Not what they used to be or inane points brought up by your inability to follow a conversation.

I’m new, but I know how to play. Came from cRPG and played the original mod so understand these game mechanics just fine thanks.

How about trying to post something constructive next time rather than pointless rage. It makes you come across like you “have no idea what the hell you’re talking about”.

• The only thing that really strikes me as underpowered in the new patch is the javelin. Throwing them is still sketchy and they have such a long reload that leaves you open…it’s pretty hard to tell when your reload is going on too. Since we have even fewer to throw I just can’t bring myself to try using them.

• @chihuahua:

@AgentOrange:

Aye, I’m fairly new and I already think the most imbalanced weapons in the Vangaurd arsenal are the spears. The Thrusting Spear with the massive range and rapid thrusting attacks can really dominate, as can the Bandistock although I still prefer Spear for speed, whilst every time I go with the Fork I get my head caved in before I have a chance to do real dmg.

No, spears are not that good against multiple opponents, or in duels. They really shine as support, but that’s it. The more balanced reachier weapon is the Halberd, and yes, it is pretty good, but in no way is it OP. Pit a VG against a MAA or a shielded knight of the same skill, and the VG will lose a majority of the time. Now, with the buffed arrow speeds, the VG is even more squishy on the battlefield. In fact, it is really annoying to keep having to hide to avoid all the archers that like to target you. You can’t even depend on running in zig-zag anymore, if the archers is even half-good and has the heavy crossbow.

• Hi guys! :D English isnt my main language then i apologize in anticipation! ;)

I am rank 32 in Chivalry at moment, with veteran helmet in every single class.

I do believe that after the archers buff now MAA need it pretty badly. And i think that swords overall are “less good” than both spears and halberts.

There is almost NOTHING a MAA can do against both spear and halbert users, they even atack faster than the swords… Resuming, they have super good range, super good damage and DONT trade it for speed, i usually end every match were i am using a spear with a 20/1 ratio while using a sword it goes to 3/1 at best most of the time.

Archers now are super effective, ok, but MAA need some serious love and i know how to play MAA before someone say “learn to play”.

At moment archers are better at melee than MAA (50% bonus in back? :D ) while having super medieval sniper rifles. There is just no reason to play MAA at moment other than the bragging rights.

Oh yes and it is too easy to exploit the spear “moving” trust that makes it impossible to parry!

:D That’s my opinion i defend a MAA buff not cause i want to use then, but cause i am pretty tired of just facing vanguards and knights every game and have a good amount of MAA would make the game more fun to me as a passionate vanguard user! :D

• @Dr:

No, spears are not that good against multiple opponents, or in duels. They really shine as support, but that’s it. The more balanced reachier weapon is the Halberd, and yes, it is pretty good, but in no way is it OP. Pit a VG against a MAA or a shielded knight of the same skill, and the VG will lose a majority of the time. Now, with the buffed arrow speeds, the VG is even more squishy on the battlefield. In fact, it is really annoying to keep having to hide to avoid all the archers that like to target you. You can’t even depend on running in zig-zag anymore, if the archers is even half-good and has the heavy crossbow.

Again, I didn’t say spears are OP. I said I can dominate with them, but that’s me. I should do well with them as I’ve played alot of cRPG running spear/hoplite builds. I said they are imbalanced. The weapon set has a weak weapon in it imo, the Fork, so it’s in need of balancing. It’s imbalanced, this isnt WoW imba =/= op.

I’m well aware of the pros/cons of Spears and yes against other weapons and classes they are well balanced. All except the Fork, which given the alternatives, seems a little weak.

That’s why the only change I suggested was a dmg boost to Fork. I wanted to see what other people thought.

As for VA balance overall against other classes. Well let’s just say I’ve had an entirely different experience to you there, playing as or against them. From what I’ve seen they have a good chance against Shield Knights/MAAs as long as they can block, backpeddal, throw their axes and know when to use kick. If anything what Bigamo said about the MAA being a bit underpowered in comparison to VA is more accurate for the majority of servers.

• It takes a disproportional amount of skill to use maa compared to knights and vanguards. While they arent unbeatable its still stupid knights can afford that much more mistakes and dont have That many drawbacks. They really arent slow enough to justify the stupid amount of damage they do on maa while still comfortable in their thick armor. I know, “learn to play” but its still 10 times harder than the faceroll knights and vanguards.

• I completely agree with you Bigamo and Teefy.

I am rank 36 now.

Man-at-arms used to be my favorite class before the last patch. After Norse sword was nerfed, I find man-at-arms class to be completely useless. And I could say that I played something about 80h with MAA before the patch. People got annoyed because hardcore players knew how to play MAA with Norse sword. And of course it was “OP” because you knew exactly what to do with it (and because of the combo-feinting exploit). I still got my ass kicked from players that were good with Vanguard and Knight… it wasn’t that much op.

Now almost nobody plays MAA and I have quit playing it too. It’s one of the hardest classes to learn but it was rewarding if you had the patience. The swords are now too slow to use. Norse sword with reasonably fast stab was the only thing that made MAA a well balanced choice between other classes.

Because combo-feinting exploit was fixed too, it nerfed the stab spam quite a lot. Please bring back the good ol’ Norse sword with fast stab. Damage can be left as it is (=slightly nerfed version)

And oh, I almost forgot… I really liked the javelineer in AOC. It was magnificent :D I had learned to throw the spears and got really nice stats with it. The current javelineer in Chivalry: MW feels so “sticky” and slow… the old one was smooth and had a nice range. I don’t like to play the new javelineer at all :(

To summarize:
    **- Speed up the norse sword stab as it was before the patch, leave the dmg as it is

• Javelineer needs smoother throwing mechanics and a better range**

All the other classes feel quite balanced right now, thank you!

(For all the people arguing about damages and stuff, go check this sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … Znc#gid=14 )

• @Teefy:

It takes a disproportional amount of skill to use maa compared to knights and vanguards. While they arent unbeatable its still stupid knights can afford that much more mistakes and dont have That many drawbacks. They really arent slow enough to justify the stupid amount of damage they do on maa while still comfortable in their thick armor. I know, “learn to play” but its still 10 times harder than the faceroll knights and vanguards.

maa is the strongest class in game for duels…. l2p yes you need alot of training to master his “dodges” but when u get some skill u see how knights get frustrated when they fight you…

knights have more hp but they not so mobile like maa and nerfing them only make them useless as a class

in my opinion:

knight is best vs: vanguard and other knights

vanguard is best vs: maa and vanguards

maa is best vs: knights and maa

• MAA is actually the best option against Vanguards

• Not sure if this has been mentioned before or not but here goes.

My biggest issue is with blocking. I find it hard to believe a dagger can block a 2 handed weapon with ease. At the very least the blocker could get stunned or knocked off balance or something. Dodging or attacking during a 2 hander wind up should be better options than blocking when using a dagger.

• @afiNity:

MAA is actually the best option against Vanguards

No its not! :P

i agree that a MAA when facing a knight in 1vs1 are on even ground, but vanguards? hell no!

Vanguards have time to block every attack (what is fine imo) and is super hard to maa to close the distance specially cause of the low MAA mass that makes then get away in every well succeed parry from a longer range weapon

• @Bigamo:

@afiNity:

MAA is actually the best option against Vanguards

No its not! :P

i agree that a MAA when facing a knight in 1vs1 are on even ground, but vanguards? hell no!

Vanguards have time to block every attack (what is fine imo) and is super hard to maa to close the distance specially cause of the low MAA mass that makes then get away in every well succeed parry from a longer range weapon

Maybe you didn’t play against the right MAAs then.

• MAA is still great! Just use the broadsword as you would the norse sword.

• oh yes, and parry is SUPER bugged after the patch, what happened? it worked REALLY better before!

• It’s not bugged, but the recovery window is longer, meaning you’re punished more for parrying early.

• @SlyGoat:

It’s not bugged, but the recovery window is longer, meaning you’re punished more for parrying early.

Na, you can perfectly block some weapon stabs and still take the hit , fast now i think in the spear and the knife and small weapons like maces and other single handed weapons, several times you do it perfectly and still take the hit.

it you stab with the spear at same time that you “turn” your torso more often than not the result is a thrust impossible to parry or block.

Oh yes and the super archers KILLED the LAST team standing mode, its just bad to play it now, at least in the servers were i play.

Archers always have been annoying now they are rage inducing and completely breaking some game modes.