Strange thoughts on the low rank server.

• So some thoughts on the low rank servers.
    They do serve a good purpose, and that is so complete noobs don’t get completely wasted in pro servers, they can actually get kills, and unlock weapons.
    But the real problem is it divides players, and it also makes noobs a little too comfortable with fighting other low ranks, and eventually get stomped when entering a real game ( I just found this out first hand a few days ago when turning rank 16, now rank 17)

But maybe it doesn’t have to be 100% exclusive.

My suggestion is let higher ranks into the green low rank servers, but limit them to say 4 players, or 10% of the players in game, this way new players can unlock weapons, and have a small taste of reality at the same time. Turn off ranking up for higher ranking players so they don’t just go power rank up, slaughtering noobs in green servers.
    This way everyone is happy, noobs get the best of both worlds, and the player base isn’t divided.

• Or just have less low rank servers. I get the idea behind them, and I like it, but there are just too many of them.

• doesn’t really solve anything, but sure, there could be slightly less green servers.
    I don’t like the idea of removing them completely, as getting stomped every game would be a bad first impression.
    My very first very FIRST game, was FFA in ruins, I got 20 kills, and 10 deaths, that was an epic first impression of the game. Walk away with a smile on my face, and not raging.

• I wonder if most of the noobs get to 16 then quit because they get a false sense of security in noob servers and get owned in real servers. :/

I wonder if they’re actually deterring players from staying in the game.

• @chivalryinterested:

My very first very FIRST game, was FFA in ruins, I got 20 kills, and 10 deaths, that was an epic first impression of the game. Walk away with a smile on my face, and not raging.

Which is exactly why I advocated for low rank servers

@SOC:

I wonder if most of the noobs get to 16 then quit because they get a false sense of security in noob servers and get owned in real servers. :/

I wonder if they’re actually deterring players from staying in the game.

Oh yes they would stay around longer if they were crushed immediately

#desperateToStompNoobs

• This post is deleted!

• @gregcau:

Oh yes they would stay around longer if they were crushed immediately

#desperateToStompNoobs

I stomp noobs every day, like you. I’m just sick of having to wait so long for decent servers every day.

Well, don’t you understand that perspective? They think the game is so simple and basic then leave before ever giving it a shot or they get mad and say “this game sucks” when they die after thinking they’re good. Pretty sure Chivalry survived so long because you went 3-35 your first few games against good players and got to see how much depth it truly had.

• 3-35? uuugggh! would take forever to unlock weapons, I would leave if I had that score, so you are ''pretty sure" about nothing.
    But this is why im suggesting to let higher ranks in the green servers, just limit how many.
    So noobs can play in their nooby world, actually get kills, and unlock weapons, and if any thought of the game not having any depth crosses their mind there will be a pro there to put them in their place.
    So can I please get an amen for the suggestion, and maybe TB will see it?

• If I wasn’t “pretty sure” then why has the game lasted so long and was so successful before it had low rank servers? The vast majority of the playerbase still playing this game remember getting owned their first few games and it was the brutal learning experience that kept them interested. Much like Dark Souls. You asked questions, you watched videos and you took what you learned to improve your self and got better. That’s the target audience for this game I believe.

Letting higher ranks into the servers just seems like a really dumb idea to me. It’s actually creating the problem you’re trying to avoid. The best option is just to lower the amount of low rank servers, there’s too many right now.

• @gregcau:

#desperateToStompNoobs

If anyone has any doubts about whether low rank servers are wholly good for the game, you say something like this. Yeah, we love having zero challenge man, we all just want to massacre newbs all day long…

Seriously though, I’m on the fence with these low rank servers, I can see why they are good, but I can also see negatives to having them. Don’t really need to go into the pros and cons, most of them have already been mentioned in this thread.

Not really sure what needs to be done though, they are splitting the player base, so perhaps having less of them would be a good idea. Also, the OP’s idea is something I haven’t thought of before, and could help balance the impression new players will have of the game, without them getting totally stomped on their first game.

Although personally, I probably wouldn’t still be playing now, if low rank servers existed when I first started because I would have been frightened away by the lack of skill LMB spamfest, and apparent lack of depth to the game.

But maybe I’m just be crazy, because I like a challenge, and like to get better (eventually)

• because I would have been frightened away by the lack of skill LMB spamfest, and apparent lack of depth to the game.

^ This. Players will get good at stomping the low rank servers and think they’ve got the entire game figured out. Then they’ll either A) Quit playing the game all together because it’s “too easy.” or B) Play a single game in a normal server, get rekt and then quit playing the game and cry about high-rank exploiters. It’s a lose-lose.

OF COURSE IF WE HAD MATCHMAKING THIS WOULDN’T BE A PROBLEM NOW WOULD IT >:[

• Mod

@SOC:

If I wasn’t “pretty sure” then why has the game lasted so long and was so successful before it had low rank servers? The vast majority of the playerbase still playing this game remember getting owned their first few games and it was the brutal learning experience that kept them interested. Much like Dark Souls. You asked questions, you watched videos and you took what you learned to improve your self and got better. That’s the target audience for this game I believe.

Letting higher ranks into the servers just seems like a really dumb idea to me. It’s actually creating the problem you’re trying to avoid. The best option is just to lower the amount of low rank servers, there’s too many right now.

Dark Souls is the first RPG game I’ve ever finished. I bloody loved it! Chivalry is also the first multiplayer game in ages that’s kept me hooked as well. Maybe it is the difficulty thing that keeps me coming back, I’m not sure. Although I find games like League of Legends difficult and I hate that shit.

• It works well in Quake Live where you have different tiers (1-4) but it’s true that playing only on low rank players doesn’t make you good. Getting destroyed one thousand times by high rank clan players makes you good. But I think it’s okay for people who don’t play serious and who don’t really care about improving their skills.

• I don’t really like them in general. Seems like theyd either teach bad habits or give the impression that spamming offense is the way to go and that the game is shallow. I’d image these servers are full of mauls and claymores, because one is spammy and the other is effective for 1 shots on people who can’t parry most of the time.

• @swagfox:

I don’t really like them in general. Seems like theyd either teach bad habits or give the impression that spamming offense is the way to go and that the game is shallow. I’d image these servers are full of mauls and claymores, because one is spammy and the other is effective for 1 shots on people who can’t parry most of the time.

I’ve posted this before on a similar thread, but it gives you an idea of what happens on these servers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxODUZlupn4&list=UUzTRLYgjX0EWkJ1p-6Ev7AQ

• @Flippy:

^ This. Players will get good at stomping the low rank servers and think they’ve got the entire game figured out. Then they’ll either A) Quit playing the game all together because it’s “too easy.” or B) Play a single game in a normal server, get rekt and then quit playing the game and cry about high-rank exploiters. It’s a lose-lose.

OF COURSE IF WE HAD MATCHMAKING THIS WOULDN’T BE A PROBLEM NOW WOULD IT >:[[/QUOTE]

Matchmaking. Yuck. I wouldn’t play if I got stuck with rank 45+ all day. I’m not really that good but I have good days as well as bad ones. If I am in a server with too many high ranks, I just leave to find one with more mid ranks or low ranks. I don’t like having to work so hard to get kills. I am not as noble as some of you. I enjoy a good old massacre of noobs at times. I say remove low ranks.

This is another reason I say remove them:

• I thought the low rank servers are only supposed to show at the top of the list for low rank players. You sure you’re rank 45 now slaughter? ;)

• I arranged for player count hence the arrow at the top of the tab. Also, I am rank 48.

• @SOC:

If I wasn’t “pretty sure” then why has the game lasted so long and was so successful before it had low rank servers? .

probably because you were all noobs when it came out, now that the older players have gained so much experience, new players need a leveled playing field.

BTW it took like 3 days to get to rank 16 XD its not like these ppl are in low rank servers forever.
    But if I was thrown into pro servers getting 3-35 I would quit due to the fact that it would take weeks just to unlock 1 weapon.

• But if I was thrown into pro servers getting 3-35 I would quit due to the fact that it would take weeks just to unlock 1 weapon.

“pro servers” Da fucque? They’re just regular servers. Most of them are still filled with baddies anyway. There’s normally only a few decent players on them.