MAA vs Ninja

• When I first started playing Chiv, my fav class was MAA despite sucking at it.
    Then came DW and suddenly I don’t get killed quite as often with the Ninja.

Which one is better and why? Thoughts?

My usual MAA loadout: Kite shield, some kind of mace, hunter knife.

Usual ninja loadout: The hook thing or bo staff and shurikens.

• MaAs are far better in the grand scheme of things because they outclass 50% of MW’s classes. The overall movespeed in MW means a lot more, too.

Ninjas are the second best class in DW IMO, but their lack of shield and limited weapon choices make them more lackluster compared to MaAs. Overall, the mechanics in DW don’t fit the “MaA” playstyle in MW nearly as well.

• Ninjas have pretty strong weapons like the kama at their disposal allowing to 2-3 hit most of the classes at the expense of range. Rolls are more vulnerable than dodges and everyone moves faster. Due to these things ninja is a little more risky than maa. It’s up to you if the risk is worth the reward.

• @Albatross8:

Ninjas have pretty strong weapons like the kama at their disposal allowing to 2-3 hit most of the classes at the expense of range. Rolls are more vulnerable than dodges and everyone moves faster. Due to these things ninja is a little more risky than maa. It’s up to you if the risk is worth the reward.

I remember in beta when the bo “bop” staff was fukin OP…

• @Terminally:

I remember in beta when the bo “bop” staff was fukin OP…

Those were good times. Many heads were annihilated from feeble stick whacks.

• lol yeah, back when servers were actually full for DW…

• Bo staff is still op with red tracers lol

• @SOC:

Bo staff is still op with red tracers lol

Yeah it is lol…

• @SOC:

MaAs are far better in the grand scheme of things because they outclass 50% of MW’s classes. The overall movespeed in MW means a lot more, too.

I second this. I unlocked Halberd yesterday for Knight and damn it is a blast. Faster footwork than MAA, even tankier than normal Knight, and wielding a Vanguard weapon… The fact that everyone moves around so fast makes Ninja feel a lot less special and his roll “feels” slower (not sure how fast it really is in comparison to MAA).

That being said, complete silence is awesome for sneaking around and for fighting. No one else has silent swings unless they feint…

SOC: Who would you say is the best DW class? Spartan?

• These are all comfortable setups that are pretty well balanced for taking on Ninjas:

Viking with Dane Axe and Warhammer.
    Spartan with Dory and Falcata.
    Ninja with Ninjato/Claws and Shuriken.
    Samurai with Bamboo Club/Katana and Yumi bow/Naginata.
    Knight with SoW/Poleaxe and Crossbow/Halberd/Kite Shield.
    Pirate with anything.

Most weapons in DW are good against Ninjas, since even the slowest weapon is still pretty quick compared to MW.

In MW MaA is more of a quick-moving threat where you’re better off with a quick secondary or a long primary, and have to adjust your play-style to be more precise and calculated, because they have a mobility advantage. Against Ninja you just fight like you would any other class; swing at him till he’s dead, except he’s smaller and squishier with weaker weapons.

This means playing as Ninja is also more difficult and more rewarding. In MW, MaA has a clear advantage over the other classes with his strafe speed and dodges, but the Ninja’s advantages take more skill to use, like his lightning speed claw combos or accurate shuriken tosses. Not easy to pull off, but pretty powerful.

• I play a level 50 ninja and rarely struggle against any class apart from really good Spartan/Viking players

It will be interesting to see if Ninja receives a buff (health please) . Fully expect a claw nerf as they nerfed the Bo Staff last patch

Got to laugh at most ninja players that spam roll then follow it up with a stab just stand back at watch them look silly

i love picking up other ninjas missed/blocked throwing stars . Can Vikings and Knights pick up other players throwables aswell ?

• I know Spartans can pick up other people’s spears. I often lose my dory and wind up with Javelins that same life from throw spamming teammates. My buddy also stole my shield once as Viking. I’ve had my pistol stolen after I tossed it once.