High Tick Servers for All! *

• Ok so not really for all, probably just 150 people at any given time and you will pretty much need to move to the EU. But don’t let the minor details get you down, we now have three high tick public servers up and running and there’s more to come.

Currently; there are two 32 slot TO servers with 300 tick, both have the all the old TO maps and two new official maps, one also has Irrilla Shore (I really like that map). Testing them yesterday went really well, so they are here to stay as long as our lovely members keep making those gorgeous donations. Big thanks to all that helped with the testing and for all of the positive feedback.

There is also a 54 slot server with 120 tick running our old “Mixed Modes” format, we didn’t get a chance to fill it yesterday but at least it didn’t explode, so we are hopeful that it might work. More brave souls required for testing tonight, we really need your feedback. Also; the quicker we can get this one sorted the quicker we can start on the next one.

There are considerable cost implications in switching to high tick so unfortunately we will be reducing the overall number of servers that we host. If we have scrapped one of your favorite servers in the process, please let us know and we will look at reinstating it at a vastly improved tick rate. In the same token, if you would like to suggest a set up then please do. For all the purists out there; I’m thinking about trying a 16 slot FFA at 500 tick but we are open to any suggestions.

…and yes there is another post in “server operator hub” but who goes there? We need feedback to get this right so please forgive me, just this once, for the double post.

• Bit of an update for you…

We had some problems with the 300 tick servers, which thanks to Simrai, now appear to be sorted. Gonna give the 54 slot 120 tick ago around 10.00 GMT+1.

• I hope you don’t mind me going a little offtopic, but I run a small classic duel server at 100 tick, should I increase this? What difference is there really between 100 tick and 300+?

• I don’t think it matters for most servers, because near no server ime are actually capable of running at even 60 ticks.

• Sadly; the technical aspects are beyond my understanding, we are being guided by Simrai on this. I’ll ask them to comment ASAP.

• This post is deleted!

• The best performing server I’ve played on in this game is Lion’s Den. Afaic, that server’s max tickrate is set to 120, and the server is hosted by Simrai. I remember Crushed telling me that too high tickrates with too many players will “backfire”, which certainly seemed to be true when I visited the new KnH servers.

I love that you are taking the initiative to provide the game with better quality servers, Reginhard! But maybe you should consider lowering the tickrate and/or the player count?

• @B4RK:

The best performing server I’ve played on in this game is Lion’s Den. Afaic, that server’s max tickrate is set to 120, and the server is hosted by Simrai. I remember Crushed telling me that too high tickrates with too many players will “backfire”, which certainly seemed to be true when I visited the new KnH servers.

I love that you are taking the initiative to provide the game with better quality servers, Reginhard! But maybe you should consider lowering the tickrate and/or the player count?

I did that experiment back then with Crushed and indeed our findings was that too high tickrate+ too many players=backfire.
    It is virtually the same as overclocking your CPU. A lot is trial and error to eventually find that sweetspot.
    Which is pretty much what we’re doing with Knighthood.

Which server backfired on you?

• Mod

Why can’t Australia have cool server hosts ;(

• @Tyoson:

Why can’t Australia have cool server hosts ;(

I love being called cool. But isn’t games.on.net pretty cool?

• Mod

@Raizio:

I love being called cool. But isn’t games.on.net pretty cool?

If you like random server drop outs, unexplainable ping spikes, lag when a server climbs beyond 24 players, next to no admins and being banned for a month for a first time offence (sarcastically votekicking an archer) well games.on.net is for you ;)

Although, I have to admit their servers are more stable than the current official servers :/

• @Tyoson:

If you like random server drop outs, unexplainable ping spikes, lag when a server climbs beyond 24 players, next to no admins and being banned for a month for a first time offence (sarcastically votekicking an archer) well games.on.net is for you ;)

Although, I have to admit their servers are more stable than the current official servers :/

But you have best admin in Oceania: lemonater47

• @Raizio:

I did that experiment back then with Crushed and indeed our findings was that too high tickrate+ too many players=backfire.
    It is virtually the same as overclocking your CPU. A lot is trial and error to eventually find that sweetspot.
    Which is pretty much what we’re doing with Knighthood.

Which server backfired on you?

I rent an 8 person classic duel server, at 100 tick, is it worth increasing this or not? What would you suggest?

Thanks.

• @gndo:

I rent an 8 person classic duel server, at 100 tick, is it worth increasing this or not? What would you suggest?

Thanks.

120 might be better.

• Mod

@rumpelstiltskin:

But you have best admin in Oceania: lemonater47

He’s actually not a bad person in game. He wasn’t the one who banned me either. That player has long disappeared… Strokes dubaxe

• I am all for newer, better, nonmicrolagging/freezing servers, but if they allow third person then they are a sour apple to me.

• Global Moderator

@Tyoson:

He’s actually not a bad person in game. He wasn’t the one who banned me either. That player has long disappeared… Strokes dubaxe

Long disappeared? He’s the super secret stealth admin. Changes his username all the time so no one knows who he is. He played yesterday in fact.

And you have to admit votekicking him writing archer in the chat wasn’t the best of plans. Unlucky that the one you chose to kick happened to be an admin.

• @B4RK:

Thanks pal but we aren’t the first to try this stuff, there’s already a fair bit of experience gained from previous experiments. It’s like Raizo says, it’s a matter of finding the sweet spot.

Apparently the 54 slot worked really well at 120 tick today, something that Raizio only gave a 30% chance of success but the weird thing (to me at least) was the pings were stupidly high. Really smooth but massive pings. Part of me wishes that I had a better understanding of this stuff.

• Mod

@lemonater47:

Long disappeared? He’s the super secret stealth admin. Changes his username all the time so no one knows who he is. He played yesterday in fact.

And you have to admit votekicking him writing archer in the chat wasn’t the best of plans. Unlucky that the one you chose to kick happened to be an admin.

Intereeesting haha. I’ll admit it wasn’t the best of plans, in fact I’d never done something like that before. It was just really, really shitty luck. I still see sarcastic vote kicks every day in the servers, but oh well, the past is the past ;)

You should try to get games on net to only have 24P servers to be honest. Maps like Citadel and Coldfront can’t keep up :/

• @lemonater47:

Over here we don’t even see admins on most official servers most of the time…