How to run a Server: Dedicated

• Developer

This thread is now outdated. Please refer to this thread instead.

Detailed instructions will be found here after the dedicated server files are made public.

Server Doc file attached.

• May I ask that the server files be released an hour to 2 before the game is released, so that server operators can have the servers up and running for the release, where there is likely to be a huge influx of players.

• I concur with PsychoAlex, if possible please release the files before the game goes live, would also like to host a dedicated server in my country from day one :)

• @PsychoAlex:

May I ask that the server files be released an hour to 2 before the game is released, so that server operators can have the servers up and running for the release, where there is likely to be a huge influx of players.

somehow it makes sense. my vserver is waiting for the files :D.

• plzz Need server im Brasil

• Developer

The dedicated server files have now been released! Look in steam under library-> tools. You should see Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Dedicated Server.

More detailed instructions on the rest of the steps coming soon.

• What about standalone files? As it’s not good to be running Steam on our dedicated server box.

• Developer

The dedicated server doesn’t require the Steam client. This means you can either:

• Download the dedicated server on another machine and transfer the files over

• Use SteamCMD to download and update the server files directly on the server

Again, we’ll have detailed instructions soon ;)

• I had in fact already got the SteamCMD running to download the files, and am now setting up. Once I have the files however I am having some problems starting it up. But I’m sure I’ll get there in the end. Not the first time I’ve wrestled with a UDK server.

Problems solved, and my server is up and running. However, not too sure where to find the admin section. Apart from this it’s running nice and smooth.

• Thank you very much! I was able to get the MOTD files ready for launch. 8-)

Need a little more info for the server.cfg file tho, seemed a bit empty. Looks like it will be using standard hl2 server setup. Have 1 server online, ready to go, tho it didnt connect to the Steam backend. I look forward to getting the missing info needed to complete my setup.

TKC will have 2 server online at time of launch. I have both servers setup with 32 slots, so it should get quite messy on the battlefield. :D Look forward to stabbing you guys shortly…

Here is a screenshot of one of the motd’s

• Interesting map cycle for CMW :P

• @SlyGoat:

Interesting map cycle for CMW :P

haha yea. i think he kinda wants to get noticed ;P.

• I’m curious on how much bandwith and other system resources are required to run a 16,32 or even a 64 player server. I would like to try host a 64 player game just for kicks.

• What is the app id for Chivalry Dedicated Server to install using SteamCMD?

• @Bluefang:

What is the app id for Chivalry Dedicated Server to install using SteamCMD?

• @Martin:

@Bluefang:

What is the app id for Chivalry Dedicated Server to install using SteamCMD?

Thank you Martin. Just as I posted this my Engineer found it in the docs. Haha. :)

• Is there a linux build also?

• @Sherbz:

Is there a linux build also?

We have actually done some research and it seems as though it is possible to emulate the server through Wine as we are Linux freaks. But we have not confirmed this yet as we are still testing. I personally wish Linux was more widely used by developers. Wouldn’t have had to provision new dedicated boxes for games that only support Windows. shrug

• I’m going to run a server on launch, is there any more guides or instructions beyond what is in the included PDF? Any way to test the server functionality before hand? I’ve never hosted an UDK server before so I’m kind of lost here, Thanks!

• @onesizefitsall:

I’m going to run a server on launch, is there any more guides or instructions beyond what is in the included PDF? Any way to test the server functionality before hand? I’ve never hosted an UDK server before so I’m kind of lost here, Thanks!

Same here, the PDF doesn’t provide a lot of information. Where does one specify your server’s name ? Can we get more examples of what the command line should look like etc ?

I know you said you’ll provide more info, but it’s 2 hours till launch and a lot of us would like to get some servers up before then.

Thanks a lot ;)