How to run a Server: Dedicated

• So I’ve read through all the threads for creating a dedicated server, I managed to piece most of it together (since everyone seems to be an incompetent moron that can’t explain the most simple task. Seriously, I don’t understand how people that dumb can even figure out how to run a server.)

My problem: My friends cannot connect to my server and it doesn’t show up in steam. It appears to be a LAN only server (I don’t have a 2nd PC to test this theory.) Here’s a step-by-step guide of everything I have done:

-obviously Installed Chivalry and the Dedicated Server tool on Steam

-Open the Ports (UDP and TCP. trying 7787, 7788, and 27035 since the default 7777, 7778, 27015 did not work)

-Open the Ports on Windows Firewall (Control Panel > System & Security > Windows Firewall > Advance Settings
    Inbound Rules > Add Rules > Port > TCP > Name Chivalry TCP
    Inbound Rules > Add Rules > Port > UDP > Name Chivalry UDP

-Edited my PCServer-UDKGame.ini file
    (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\chivalry_ded_server\UDKGame\Config\PCServer-UDKGame.ini
    changed: AdminPassword=**** ; bAuthenticateServe=True
    -Edited UDKEngine.ini
    Port=7787, PeerPort=7788, QueryPort=27035

-Created a .bat in binaries\win32
    UDKLogging.exe AOCFFA-Arena3_P?steamsockets -dedicated=true -seekfreeloadingserver -Port=7787 -QueryPort=27035
    Adding and removing the mutlihost=192.168.xx.xx did not seem to change anything

-Added my server to my steam favorites
    Steam > View > Servers > Favorites > Add “192.168.xx.xx:27035”

My server shows up in my favorites with the correct settings and game name and I can connect and play. My friends, however, cannot find or connect to the server using “Open MyPublicIP” with or without the Port after the IP address.

On the UDKLogging is shows it getting a Steam Game Server VID… it also says “Log: StartonlineGame() LAN Match: 0” and “Log: StartInternetGame() 1”

Did I mess up somewhere? Why can’t my friends join me (or why is it running a LAN server?)

EDIT I should also add. If I create a shortcut (of UDK.exe or UDKGame.exe etc) the server will not work. It stops at the UDKFrontEndMap and the last log stops at the Steam Game Server VID.

• @Syn9001:

Adding and removing the mutlihost=192.168.xx.xx did not seem to change anything

-Added my server to my steam favorites
    Steam > View > Servers > Favorites > Add “192.168.xx.xx:27035”

using the local 192.168.xx.xx IP might cause it to show up as LAN only? could you try replacing that IP with the external address?

Edit: but then again, as you can see by my post below, I’ve not had any luck in getting it working, so yeah… I could be very wrong about that.

• I’ve been trying to get a server running for the last few days & I’ve had no success so far.

Could someone please tell me where I’m going wrong?

1. downloaded the dedicated server files from steam.
    2. copied the files across to the PC I want to use as the server.
    3. created a shortcut to UDK.exe on the desktop.
    4. edited the shortcut target to read :
      “…UDK.exe” AOCTD-Darkforest_XL_p?steamsockets -seekfreeloadingserver -Port=7777 -QueryPort=7778 -maxplayers=24"
      5)edited the ini to change the server name
    5. run the UDK.exe shortcut
    6. … then it does nothing. just a blank cmd prompt. doesnt turn up on any server list.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

• @number30five:

I’ve been trying to get a server running for the last few days & I’ve had no success so far.

Could someone please tell me where I’m going wrong?

1. downloaded the dedicated server files from steam.
    2. copied the files across to the PC I want to use as the server.
    3. created a shortcut to UDK.exe on the desktop.
    4. edited the shortcut target to read :
      “…UDK.exe” AOCTD-Darkforest_XL_p?steamsockets -seekfreeloadingserver -Port=7777 -QueryPort=7778 -maxplayers=24"
      5)edited the ini to change the server name
    5. run the UDK.exe shortcut
    6. … then it does nothing. just a blank cmd prompt. doesnt turn up on any server list.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

It’s supposed to be a black screen. You can check your server status by going to Steam > View > Servers > Favorites and add it to your favorites (example 192.168.1.24:27015) that’s your LocalIP : QueryPort. If it says that the map is “UDKFrontLoad” or something like that, your server isn’t working properly.

Also, your QueryPort should NOT be 7778 (that’s the games default PeerPort)… it should be set to something like 27015 (default for steam games IIRC). -maxplayers= is not longer a valid command, you have to add it after the map ex. AOCTD-Darkforest_XL_p?steamsockets?maxplayers=32 or something like that (there’s a note on one of the update 1 threads.)

I haven’t been able to get a server (even LAN) running off the game shortcuts. I made a .txt file with the commands “UDKLogging.exe AOCTD-Moor_p?steamsockets -seekfreeloadingserver -multihome=192.168.xx.xx -Port=7787 -QueryPort=27035” then renamed it to “ChivalryServer.BAT”. Take note that you will have to change the multihome= Port= and QueryPort= to what you have open on your network

• @Syn9001:

snip

thanks for the tips. I’ll give them a go when I get home.

• Hi all, i need some help with server.

my command line
    …udk.exe" AOCTD-Moor_p?steamsockets?maxplayers=24 -dedicated=true -seekfreeloadingserver
    (i use bat file for start)

In steam\view\servers\favorite i see this
    http://ssmaker.ru/8c157993.png

1st server was added with local ip 192.168.1.100:27031
    2nd server was added with network ip 213.191.7.220:27031
    but in game i cant find my server.

Whats wrong ? querry port in PCserver-UDKgame.ini 27031 also this port added in my port forwarding list on router
    I think that server is working but only for LAN. What i need to change ?

Sorry for bad english. :?

• @PhantomJKee:

Hi all, i need some help with server.
    I think that server is working but only for LAN. What i need to change ?

This is the same issue I’m having. Hopefully someone can explain what is wrong.

• @Syn9001:

snip

Thanks for the suggestions you gave before! they let me set up there server & connect to it via steam!

Sorry to bug you guys more, but theres 2 things that I’ve not yet got working :

In steam, i can see my server under favourites, my flatmate & I can get onto it, so can another friend who is not on our LAN. Problem is, we can only get into it via steam. its not listed in the in-game server list (did a search for the server name, still couldnt find it)

but while we were playing, we had some other people drop in, so they must have seen our server in the list. & that caused a massive increase in lag, so I was gonna put a password on it until we can work something out.

however, coz we can only get into it via the steam interface, theres no prompt to enter the password we set, so we cant get in.

any thoughts? & thanks in advance. (again)

• And how u connect to your own private server? I cant connect to it a error appear “lost the connection with the host”

• I thought I’d chime in on this problem and actually provide a detailed response that will work for you, after looking at different threads and trying numerous different configuration settings for about 5 hours last night, I’ve finally got my dedicated server showing up on the in-game server browser for other Steam users and working.

Only read on if you’re having troubles still and are looking at last resorts, or just want to check your config against my working one (reports of working servers are definitely rare in this thread).

I’ll assume that you already have the dedicated server files that are on the Steam client.

For those with trouble still, check through these:
    (Items in red are properties to look out for)

The only things I’ve changed in PCServer-UDKEngine.ini are:

[OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks]
    QueryPort=27025

The default QueryPort of 27015 just simply did not work with any configuration. The default Port of 7777 and PeerPort of 7778 were fine though.

The only things I’ve changed in PCServer-UDKGame.ini are:

[Engine.GameInfo]
    MaxPlayers=16
    TotalNetBandwidth=85000

For those wondering about bandwidth usage, I’ve found that for a full 16 player server without starving my upload, used about 0.6Mbps of bandwidth (even when the TotalNetBandwidth was higher), adding vent and a little bit of overhead, it used approx. 0.8Mbps in total. We don’t have very fast upload speeds here in Australia, without getting into cable and fibre, a standard ADSL2+ only has 1Mbps upstream.

The TotalNetBandwidth option is a hard limit on how much bandwidth the entire dedicated server will pump out, measured in bytes/sec. I believe I have this setting correct at 85000 as my total upstream speed is only 110000.

[Engine.GameReplicationInfo]
    ServerName=Game Name
    MessageOfTheDay=MOTD

ServerName is basically what your server name will appear as on the in-game server list.
    MessageOfTheDay is basically what your server will broadcast as a MOTD upon player join.

[Engine.AccessControl]
    AdminPassword=Password

These value are not enabled by default, you’ll need to manually add this line in to actually set an admin password for the server (p.s. this is not your password to actually join the server)

[AOC.AOCGame]
    Maplist=AOCFFA-Arena3_P
    Maplist=AOCFFA-Ruins_P

Pretty straight forward stuff, place the full map name at the end of each Maplist= you see here, you can also set up a map rotation by adding more lines. You can get a detailed list in the PDF here: http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=24178#p24178

Now for the nitty gritty, you don’t need to have Steam installed, or even the Chivalry Medieval Warfare game itself installed on the hosting machine, just as long as your have the dedicated server files that were downloaded on another Steam machine via Tools.

During your testing phase, load up cmd first and try the server out to work out any problems. You can make a simple .bat file later after everything is working.

After trying many different start up command line configs, this was the one that is guaranteed to work:

In my case, my server that is hosting the CMW server has an IP of 192.168.1.5:

UDKLogging.exe AOCFFA-Arena3_P?steamsockets -dedicated=true -seekfreeloadingserver -multihome=192.168.1.5
    ```There is no need to specify the Port or even the QueryPort in this command line startup, it'll read everything it needs from the two .ini files.

I'll break it down a bit, UDKLogging.exe Starting_Map_Name?steamsockets -dedicated=true -seekfreeloadingserver -multihome=_**INTERNAL IP Address of server**_. After the first map (Starting_Map_Name in my example) the server will then continue your Maplist= rotation.

I found that 90% of my problems were fixed once I added the -multihome switch in, however it wasn't clear that you had to use your _internal_ IP address for that machine, threads that I've read were usually saying to use your external WAN IP address.

Above all else, if you get the string "Steam game server UID: #" in your UDKLogging window - this means the server has initialised correctly and is waiting for incoming connections. If you see this, you're good to go. The server will take approximately 1-2 minutes for it to show in the master list.

• So I figured out my problem. I completely forgot to forward the ports to my PC (been a long time since I’ve made any servers and I completely forgot.)

I still cant use a shortcut or UDK.exe to run the server, I have to run it through a .bat.

But now my new issue: Unlocking items on my server doesn’t work. You unlock them while you’re playing but once you leave my server, you loose all your progress!

So my new question is how do I make my server ranked so my friends and I can unlock stuff while we play?

• Goldfire and u can connect to your own server? how u do it if yes?

• I was wondering if there will be a chance in the future that this game and your server will recognize your login and will automatically login to your server without having to manually type in your password and adminlogin.

Also like to know if in the future you will be save from being kicked from your own server. I’ve witnessed serveral people trying to votekick me out of my own server. I basically kick them right after but you should always have a vip que in your own server imo.

• @Syn9001:

So my new question is how do I make my server ranked so my friends and I can unlock stuff while we play?

Providing you’re using the default ini files with only the changes I have in my previous long post, it should save all data between matches and other servers.

@Yogh:

Goldfire and u can connect to your own server? how u do it if yes?

Yes, I can connect to my own server as well as others joining from external addresses. All via the in-game ‘join’ browser. However, the DMZ solution is terrible, and I require a large, large range of ports to be open. Especially looking at the UDKLogging window with random, unique ports that are incoming (this is also backed up with the current NAT sessions on my Draytek gateway)

@sirmike:

I was wondering if there will be a chance in the future that this game and your server will recognize your login and will automatically login to your server without having to manually type in your password and adminlogin.

Highly doubt that would ever happen, but I’m welcome to be incorrect. Mostly due to the fact that 90% of other games out there don’t have this option.

Also like to know if in the future you will be save from being kicked from your own server. I’ve witnessed serveral people trying to votekick me out of my own server. I basically kick them right after but you should always have a vip que in your own server imo.

Haven’t had an issue with this one personally, so I can’t comment there.

I’d like to add to the large post I’ve made earlier: Once you start your server, it WILL take approximately 1-2 minutes for your server to actually show up on the in-game server browser list. I assume this is a delay due to the master list being updated.

• Anyone know how to fix this? When i try enter a server it say unable to connect to host.

• @Yogh:

Anyone know how to fix this? When i try enter a server it say unable to connect to host.

From what I saw during my testing, the correct ports are not forwarded. If you refer to my previous couple of posts, and follow that, you shouldn’t have any troubles.

As a quick test, try placing your server in the DMZ and ensure that you wait one to two minutes for your server to appear on the master list.

• I’m having a problem with hosting my server.

When I launch my server the game does not start automatically,
    the main menu screen appears after I join.

I have to login as admin and change the map and then it’s all fine, but that breaks the map rotation I guess. After the map/round has finished it just restarts the same map.

Thanks for the help!

Edit: Everytime I launch the server, I can see in the server browser that the map is something called udk frontend map or something like that. Hope this helps!

• @Skolt:

I’m having a problem with hosting my server.

As a test, try changing these in the PCServer-UDKEngine.ini:

[Map=AOCFFA-Arena3_P.udk
    LocalMap=AOCFFA-Arena3_P.udk

Obviously, change the values that are in red to the map that you want.
    List of map names can be found in the PDF at the start of this thread. Here:](Map=[color]AOCFFA-Arena3_P.udk[/color]
    LocalMap=[color]AOCFFA-Arena3_P.udk[/color]

List of map names can be found in the PDF at the start of this thread. Here: [url]http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=3137#p24178[/url]

Also, check your PCServer-UDKGame.ini file under the [color][AOC.AOCGame][/color] section for [color]MapList=[/color] values, if you haven’t already. This will be your map rotation (if you have more than one)) http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=3137#p24178

Also, check your PCServer-UDKGame.ini file under the [AOC.AOCGame] section for MapList= values, if you haven’t already. This will be your map rotation (if you have more than one)

• @Goldfire:

@Skolt:

I’m having a problem with hosting my server.

As a test, try changing these in the PCServer-UDKEngine.ini:

[Map=AOCFFA-Arena3_P.udk
    LocalMap=AOCFFA-Arena3_P.udk

List of map names can be found in the PDF at the start of this thread. Here:](Map=[color]AOCFFA-Arena3_P.udk[/color]
    LocalMap=[color]AOCFFA-Arena3_P.udk[/color]

List of map names can be found in the PDF at the start of this thread. Here: [url]http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=3137#p24178[/url]

Also, check your PCServer-UDKGame.ini file under the [color][AOC.AOCGame][/color] section for [color]MapList=[/color] values, if you haven’t already. This will be your map rotation (if you have more than one)

Thanks, works like a charm!
    Map rotation was ok, in UDKEngine.ini I changed the Map and LocalMap values.
    They were udkfrontend by default.) http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=3137#p24178

Also, check your PCServer-UDKGame.ini file under the [AOC.AOCGame] section for MapList= values, if you haven’t already. This will be your map rotation (if you have more than one)

Thanks, works like a charm!
    Map rotation was ok, in UDKEngine.ini I changed the Map and LocalMap values.
    They were udkfrontend by default.

• Hi, I tried to host a server but it didn’t work. Here are the steps that I tried:

1. I’ve downloaded the dedicated server files
    2. I’ve created a shortcut to UDK.exe from one of the subfolders of “chivalry_ded_server” from steam.
    3. I’ve added the following parameters AOCTO-Darkforest_P?steamsockets -seekfreeloadingserver -Port=7777 -QueryPort=27015
    4. I’ve opened the 7777, 7778 and 27015 ports on my modem.

After doing this, I can connect to my server using my local ip but I cannot do so using my “public” ip (and therefore my friends can’t also).
    I tried reading this topic and googled for a solution but I didn’t find a solution (or maybe I’ve not recognized it as a solution…).

Can someone help me?