Do you think the Vanguard Greatsword is OP and needs a nerf?

• It’s way too good.

• The two handed sword animations as a whole need someone to have a look at them, all kinds of wonky bits and too-subtle transitions that cause odd behaviour (including a very exploitable hook on the end of the overhead). The greatsword is just the worst offender because it has no significant downsides.

• @McLumberjack:

The two handed sword animations as a whole need someone to have a look at them, all kinds of wonky bits and too-subtle transitions that cause odd behaviour (including a very exploitable hook on the end of the overhead). The greatsword is just the worst offender because it has no significant downsides.

What do you mean by hook?

• @McLumberjack:

The two handed sword animations as a whole need someone to have a look at them, all kinds of wonky bits and too-subtle transitions that cause odd behaviour (including a very exploitable hook on the end of the overhead). The greatsword is just the worst offender because it has no significant downsides.

I completely disagree. I think 2handed sword animations are fine. Polearm animations are the animations that need to be looked at really. It’s very difficult to determine the transition of a combo from an overhead into a stab on a halberd, and often the same on the polehammer. The poleaxe also.

Relating to this thread, I think the greatsword overhead is really the problem. It is too fast and can instant hit far too easily. It is an all in 1 weapon that can do absolutely everything and it outclasses the other vanguard weapons completely which is why when you enter a server, you see almost every single vanguard using it. Try making the overhead windup longer since it is currently shorter than the longsword.

• just the release time is too long and windup may be a bit short. The fact that they can dance so well is directly related to it’s release time giving it super long drags and reach. That’s why it can do a full Z with a stab and still be able to move a little more with stab drags doing damage. it’s the same with zweihander having such long release. zwei most ridiculous drags in game by far. The ceremonial sword drags.

• @50ShadesofClay:

just the release time is too long and windup may be a bit short. The fact that they can dance so well is directly related to it’s release time giving it super long drags and reach. That’s why it can do a full Z with a stab and still be able to move a little more with stab drags doing damage. it’s the same with zweihander having such long release. zwei most ridiculous drags in game by far. The ceremonial sword drags.

Still zwei is pretty weak if compared. The retarded gs lookdowns take the prize.
    You can easily interrupt sow stabs with oh’s lol

• Needs windup increases and release reductions across the board, but mainly on the overhead.

• @dudeface:

Needs windup increases and release reductions across the board, but mainly on the overhead.

stabs too bruh

• @dudeface:

Needs windup increases and release reductions across the board, but mainly on the overhead.

I think the oh release isn’t a problem, oh wind up is and the way you can hit so early.
    Stab release is only release id nerf

• @Bluebeard:

I think the oh release isn’t a problem, oh wind up is and the way you can hit so early.
    Stab release is only release id nerf

Bluebeard knows whats up.

• IMHO the slash could use a slightly shorter release as well as the stab, but that’s just me. But by far the OH windup is the #1 problem and nerfing it would go a long way in balancing the weapon.

It’s silly that it completely supplants the zwei which can’t compete on any front at all currently. No point in the zwei being a heavy hitter if the GS does everything 99% as well and but far faster (esp. combo times). But I guess in general it’s hard to divide each weapon category into 3 without having some overlap.

• GS lookdown ripostes can be pretty brutal, also the stab release is loonnng, try nerfing one or the other and test it, see if both need nerfing or if one is enough.

• Increase the windup of overheads and it would be fine, IMO.

• Mod

+Overhead Windup
    -Overhead Release (slight, potentially unnecessary)

-Stab windup (slight)
    -Stab release

I feel like it would be fine after these changes, right now the overhead’s too fast and the stab’s too dragable.

• Just fix the OH windup, it’s absurd for a sword that size.

• @gndo:

What do you mean by hook?

Turn on tracers and compare the sword overhead to a two handed axe. The animations are similar, they drop just short of vertical and then peel out to the side to return to a ready position (or to go into a combo). The sword has tracers on that tail end where the axe does not. It goes to the floor and out to the left, while the axe stops tracing while still in line with the strike.

With a bit of practice it’s common to put the overhead to the right of a player and then bring it in sideways after the block has gone by. Not uncommon or unique to swords, but the sideways hook on the tracers plus the fact the sword is moving slowly by this point, makes it very easy.

A lot of new players do it by accident, the natural instinct for the defender is to run to the right and make use of the void created by default swings. The sword overhead goes into this position and catches a lot of people in the legs with little effort.

• Idc anymore, it’s not as retarded with the lookdown overheads now that there’s new tracers.

• @Xylvion:

Idc anymore, it’s not as retarded with the lookdown overheads now that there’s new tracers.

I disagree. Patch 26 has made virtually no impact on the greatsword whatsoever.

• Greatsword overhead from 0.5 to 0.55

try it plz.

• Honestly I’m completely fine with just slightly increasing the windup on the overhead slightly. Nerfing anything else on it would probably make it underpowered and completely fall out of the meta which it shouldn’t. I say just increase windup on the overhead to 0.53 and be done with it. Nerf anything else and it’ll be too weak.