Do you think the Vanguard Greatsword is OP and needs a nerf?

• The tracers were recently revised for all weapons to be higher than the hilt of the weapon at least, to prevent super accelerated overhands. My favorite weapon, the billhook, used to hit instantly out of release prior to this change. Now it seems very slow, and even new players have no problem parrying a lookdown from the billhook. However, the greatsword and most swords retained their lookdown power.

What I’m going for here, is to balance the greatsword, you need to fix the source of the near instant attacks out of wind up, similar to what has happened to gmace, billhook, poleaxe, and other previously handle hitting weapons. Also one might consider reducing the amount of time the greatsword has in release, to help curb some of the more insane stab drags.

I would rather see fixes to overly fast lookdown overhand attacks before you start tweaking numbers in an attempt to slow the weapon down.

• But if they nerf it then it won’t be as funny when it’s users call people noobs for using the claymore!

• Nerf its OH slightly if only so all those guys who use GS OH and OH riposte spam as a crutch can no longer get kills.

• @gndo:

Nerf its OH slightly if only so all those guys who use GS OH and OH riposte spam as a crutch can no longer get kills.

lookdown overheads from greatsword are no longer an issue for me, i can parry everytime. No more handle hit.

• @Flippy:

I don’t think you read anything that I said. I said that the overhead’s windup should just be increased slightly to make up for the super fast overheads, but otherwise it doesn’t need any more nerfs because it would then be underpowered and likely completely fall out of the meta. I didn’t say the GS wasn’t OP a single time. Also good job on generalizing an entire clan, if you have a problem with Tempest you can talk to me in PM about it because I don’t even know who you are.

Obi Wan said that the riposte overhead on the claymore was easier to parry than the greatsword’s which makes zero sense because the Claymore is a whole heck of a lot faster. I don’t understand what you’re being so salty about.

But Ripostes with a claymore really aren’t “a heck of a lot faster” at all than the greatsword. They are virtually the same except 1 does alot less damage……

• Mod

Greatsword is a castlule user weapon. Therefore, OP. Ban plz.

• @OBI-WAN:

But Ripostes with a claymore really aren’t “a heck of a lot faster” at all than the greatsword. They are virtually the same except 1 does alot less damage……

I’ve got great difficulties parrying stab ripostes from claymore. I do indeed have some difficulties parrying stab ripostes of GS as well.

But now, I also always had difficulties parrying overhead ripostes from both claymore and GS but I always thought that was because I didn’t look high enough and it got over my parry volume. The overall system of ripostes is kind of weird, many weapons have very poor or hard to read animations for ripostes, namely poleaxe stab, brandistock slash, GS,claymore and zwei stab and ov and possibly HWS. I wouldn’t mind at all if their animations were revised. But of course it is my fault mostly and I should do my best to improve in that area.

• @Flippy:

Obi Wan said that the riposte overhead on the claymore was easier to parry than the greatsword’s which makes zero sense because the Claymore is a whole heck of a lot faster. I don’t understand what you’re being so salty about.

Sorry, yeah i was being a little salty. But it wasnt anything against tempest or you personally, just the competitive scene in general and the weapons everyone gravitates to (and the obvious reasons as to why they DO gravitate to those weapons).

Claymore is faster, but its not a heck of alot faster. a .025 faster windup isnt really that big of a deal, it means the greatsword OH can be almost just as fast but still be able to be delayed to the point of zwiehander speed, not to mention it doing a heck of a lot more damage, reaching farther etc. As far as i know, 0.025 windup is 250 milliseconds.

Anyways, whenever i scrimmed you guys while i was in DA from the end of Q3 2013 to the end of 2013, you guys were totally whoring the heck out of the GS and brandi and for good reason too, those weapons were and still are pretty broken. Not sure what the case is today, but that was a long time ago now anyways.

• you guys were totally whoring the heck out of the GS and brandi and for good reason too, those weapons were and still are pretty broken. Not sure what the case is today, but that was a long time ago now anyways.

We used those weapons not because we thought, “these weapons are really strong we should use them.” but because those are just what our players always used. I’m assuming you’re talking about Volks and RAW BONER, since they were the two who used those weapons.

• @Martys i wouldn’t really say its your fault, as i highly agree that riposte animations for many many weapons are extremely ****ed, very jittery, inconsistent, very slow then suddenly warps at lightspeed, etc.

Riposte animations really just need to be a linear speed increase applied to the regular animations, i mean maybe its not that simple when you get down and dirty into the code, but that’s really all that should be done on the animation (and damage path) side of things, i have no idea why they look so different from the regular animations, but damn the majority of the time they just look WIERD and inconsistent.

Also, certain weapons are definitely worse in that respect than others, poleaxe riposte stab being one of the big offenders, that thing reaches alot farther than the model and desyncs almost every time. Just like HEXEN said, extremely skill based game but at the same time isn’t designed to be pushed to the limit, like we are always doing…causes so many strange bugs to stick out like a sore thumb.

• @Flippy:

We used those weapons not because we thought, “these weapons are really strong we should use them.” but because those are just what our players always used. I’m assuming you’re talking about Volks and RAW BONER, since they were the two who used those weapons.

OT now but nah it wasnt them, i can’t remember everyones names but i know Aleks was all over those brandifeints. Not sure who Volks is and i never knew boner was in T, haha

• @Psyfon:

OT now but nah it wasnt them, i can’t remember everyones names but i know Aleks was all over those brandifeints. Not sure who Volks is and i never knew boner was in T, haha

Aleks always used Messer, Volks always played Brandistock and never touched any other weapon and Boner has been in Tempest for a long ass time. He was there before I joined which was last August.

• Well shit then, no idea. I remember there was a period of time there where DA and Tempest would scrim almost every day, i quit out of that after about 3 or 4 months, its a rough scene for a Maul user if the team doesn’t take advantage of your one shots very well.

• @Psyfon:

Well shit then, no idea. I remember there was a period of time there where DA and Tempest would scrim almost every day, i quit out of that after about 3 or 4 months, its a rough scene for a Maul user if the team doesn’t take advantage of your one shots very well.

We’ve always only had one brandi user. People get butthurt for no reason.

• boner 2 edgy 2 wear tag

• @rumpelstiltskin:

boner 2 edgy 2 wear tag

Careful there rumpel, ye ole master of thine edgy blades…

• Insert Deadliest Warrior variable weapon damage tracers pls. More realistic and makes sense not to take full damage from a tap on the shin.

Sure, you can continue to do all of your sword manipulations, but be warned that your damage will go down which I think is fine.

• I found that system more fun in theory than in practice.

• my main issue with the greatsword is that it’s too fast. It should have way way slower windups so you cant just overhead trade (or even intercept) any attack in the universe. That range + speed + damage makes it a no-brainer if you need a go-to weapon.

• @Albatross8:

Insert Deadliest Warrior variable weapon damage tracers pls. More realistic and makes sense not to take full damage from a tap on the shin.

Sure, you can continue to do all of your sword manipulations, but be warned that your damage will go down which I think is fine.

Drags doesn’t need any nerf IMO. DW showed us how it dumbs down the game.