Do you think that Archers should be nerfed?

• The Greatsword thread is going fairly well and a good amount of people have voted so I thought I’d make a thread about archers since I’ve been seeing a lot of people saying they should be nerfed.

I think they have too much damage overall personally. In age of chivalry if I can remember right, your arrows did more damage if they hit a target from a longer distance away, and they did less damage the closer the target was. This is good because it encourages you to stay at range. I think that you would also take damage from parrying large 2 handed weapons which is also good because it encourages you to stay at range, where you should be as an archer I think. An archer should be no match for a vanguard or knight or even man at arms in close range and yet they kind of are.

I think these were both good mechanics that could work in chivalry but this is all of course just my OPINION. Vote in the poll and let me know what you guys think about archers in this thread.
    What are your reasons for/against an archer nerf?

• Stamina system for ranged weapons and either harsh stamina costs or damage reduction for bows and xbows. I think javs are fine.

• Rock Paper Scissors is probably the most balanced game in the world.

Chivalry, when it comes to ranged, is Paper Scissors. Archers sit on top and cut down all the paper that comes at them. Whats needed is a rock. Should be the knight, historically speaking, but the way armour and shields are represented in the game they’re as vulnerable as anyone, even if they could get to the archers, which they often can’t.

Think of the way TF2 handles classes (in 2007, before it got all weird). The enemy team is fielding a lot of snipers? Pick a spy. A lot of spies? A Pyro might solve that. Scouts, Engineers, Demomens, everything has it’s place and counters something else in a pretty serious way. Not invulnerable, but serious.

Chivalry. The enemy team is fielding a lot of archers? Um… ALSO stack archers? A server limit? Yeah.

Picking an unbalanced side should offer a plain as day counter. The answer to an all ranged army should be an all armoured army.

• I think that the fact that they can deal damage at distance is a great advantage for the archer, and it should act more as a support class rather than an elite sniper.

Perhaps toning down the damage and making the archer’s secondary less powerful, cause face it. Shortsword IS rather overpowered, that stab damage with the speed. Its a excellent stun-locker, good trader if you got in a shot and of course, it can flinch/trade so late.

Frankly, I think that perhaps it would be more suitable if Daggers were the only secondary archer could use perhaps? either way, their melee capability needs to be toned down, cause its way too strong for being an archer class.

As for ranged weapon, I’d suggest that the Base damage is toned down till the point where each weapon still keeps their certain HTK’s versus some classes.

• remove the silly flinch, I don’t care if people won’t be able to beat warbows while using shortbows, I want to be able to block and attack in melee even if an arrow hits me.

• @Xylvion:

remove the silly flinch, I don’t care if people won’t be able to beat warbows while using shortbows, I want to be able to block and attack in melee even if an arrow hits me.

This is the primary issue for me as well.

• @Xylvion:

remove the silly flinch, I don’t care if people won’t be able to beat warbows while using shortbows, I want to be able to block and attack in melee even if an arrow hits me.

They could change it so that archers can only flinch other archers.

• Mod

Yes. Fuck archers and fuck speed cameras.

• archers should be nerfed. Even without playing a lot of archer (maybe 20 hours max) I still mannage to get a good score on any pub TO or TDM server. without going mellee only since that would be to easy.

• Nerf all javelins, warbow and light and heavy crossbows. Other weapons are fine. For secondaries, nerf shortsword, sabre and thrusting dagger. Remove backstab bonus and add stamina costs for shooting with anything. And buff Mason archer voice.

• Maybe this is really really hard to program? I dunno but world of tanks does it.
    What if arrows had to actually go between armor? or bounce/do less damage.

• @Albert!:

Nerf all javelins, warbow and light and heavy crossbows. Other weapons are fine. For secondaries, nerf shortsword, sabre and thrusting dagger. Remove backstab bonus and add stamina costs for shooting with anything. And buff Mason archer voice.

Dont nerf the damn javies, some of us try to use those in melee you know? I don’t wan’t to have to stab, and shield bash someone 20 times. Javaleneer should not be put in the same class as archer :P

• I’ve said it for years, archers need fundamental changes to make them fit better with the rest of the game. Simply changing their values and numbers aren’t going to make them any more fun to be in the game or make team battles much better. They need different mechanics that many were suggested in other threads.

• @chivalryinterested:

Maybe this is really really hard to program? I dunno but world of tanks does it.
    What if arrows had to actually go between armor? or bounce/do less damage.

I’d like that, but it presents a problem with skins. Where do you shoot at a mason barbarian knight compared to the elite knight skins? One’s a tin can, the other a mostly naked man wearing a bin lid.

But that aside, I’d like an inverse approach to headshots. The helmet is the last place you’d want to shoot, even the archers get one that’d stop or deflect an arrow or bolt, particularly at range. It should still make a hell of a clonk and flinch though. Helmets could be knocked off in fights, so you could still end up vulnerable. Would put an end to lidless warriors too, which always look ridiculous.

• The perfect nerf would be something that nerfs elite archers but does not nerf noob archers.

Unfortunately I can’t think of a change that would do that.

• The perfect nerf would be one that nerfs all archers. Maybe then shitty noobs will decide to play some other class.

• No archer with a bow should get to oneshot or twoshot other classes, period.

Crossbows can be a touch powerful, but then crossbow reload should be a lot more strenuous and take for near forever for its simplicity of aim and use and massive power, as was the case in real life as well.

Bows should be a lot weaker in turn for the continued, but also realistic reload/reshoot speed. More harassment than warbow death threat.

Throwing spears and javelins are a bit more tough…I think its also fair-ish that they do a lot of damage for not being throwable that far away, but maybe focus a bit on the “how much damage where”. But its also one of the things I have the least issue with, given that closing to a spear thrower is often a lot more doable than any other archer class.

• Backstab bonus needs looked at. Don’t remove it, put a cooldown on it. Make it like the vanguard charge in the sense that it is something you cant spam but still very powerful when used right.
    I think this would work here especially since the reduced bubble patch making landing hits to the back much easier. Even a simple internal cooldown on how often you can receive the bonus damage, say every 5 seconds, would at least put archer melee into line IMHO.

• Nerfing archers won’t solve the problem that everyone has with them. And that’s instant random death.

Archers at range have the lowest DPS of all classes. Nerfing the damage further won’t change the instant random death or getting flinched at crucial moments.

Archer is is the hardest class for a noob to play and that’s reflected on the scoreboard.

Its its better to buff other things instead of directly nerf their stats. Actually think. Use those brains.

• I think i mentioned this before, but how about some wind? that will mess with those pesky archers ^_^