Low ping sucks….

• Maybe it us just me but this game has some serious ping and lag issues. Lets state the obvious…… But I have been playing on servers where my ping is 20 or below and you would think that that would be awesome. But sadly it is not.

When the average person is playing around 70 ping and lets say 1/3 is playing at 110 range the ping differential between me and them can be as high as 100ms and averaging around 50ms+. So thus, many of the distances and swing timings get way off the closer you get to some one in the same space.

Is anyone else witnessing the same thing when you have awesome ping and the rest of the servers have avg to shitty ping and you just cannot seem to hit them or ghost through them?

Just getting frustrated and maybe I need to start playing on higher ping servers… ugh.

• No… no.

I’m not much of a tech guy when it comes to connections but come on Retsnom…

• Maybe I’m wrong but if two people have 100 ping their reaction time to each other will be 200 ms? I dunno, maybe there is more to it than that.

• I had a nasty spike when I was fending off 2 players yesterday. My ping went from 50 to about 600 and everyone started teleporting from my perspective (including me). By some outrageous fluke I managed to kill them both by blindly swinging around. One of them started screaming “lag hax!” but honestly, teleporting is no advantage in a fight. It’s bloody frustrating when you’re about to land a killshot on someone only to suddenly teleport a few meters and not be able to see him immediately afterward.

I assume one of my housemates was torrenting an entire TV show or something like that, but no point trying to play when that shit is happening.

• Mod

I get random lag spikes all the time, and my ping generally sits around 100. It is an absolute bastard in combat sometimes. I’ve never experienced low ping so I can’t really comment on it, unless you want to include fighting bots, which doesn’t really prove much…

• Rets wants to lag hak…

• No, I am not having lag spikes. It just seems that 50-90 is this games ping sweet spot. IF your ping is too high or too low compared to everyone else it just sucks.

I know in other games low ping usually destroys everyone even with lag compensation turned on aka HL2 engine. I am not sure what UDK uses for lag compensation. I guess I will start doing some research and testing. But when I have 16 ping, I just miss so many of my swings and when I had shitty ping before google fiber, 110-120 I would ghost through or miss a lot of swings. But that 50-80 ping seems to be the best ping because you are in the average and thus the ping differential is less against the most players.

Having a 16 ping against someone of 90+ is a huge difference between 50 ping against a 70 ping. I need to know more about the actual netcode and lag compensation mechanism is this game. If we can figure that out there might be a fix for the lag issues in the first place. Of course an actual working ping limiter would be helpful.

• Client sided hit detection doesn’t help either…

• yes, i’ve been saying this for some time now. I’ve had people go in almost slow motion and then ‘catch up’ to where they’re supposed to be and it looks like they toggled on speedhax all of a sudden. Then i’ve also had people swing through my parry, wind up for a combo and i get hit while their weapon is in the air and then immediately after because it’s behind. I’ve had knights dodge like an maa. I’ve had man at arms blink toward me like a fucked up vanguard charge. I’ve had people go in fast and slow motion.

I’ve had it all up to now. Constant teleporting and weird speed ups and slow downs in movement and footowork and shit.

• this is the most retarded thread I have ever seen.

• It’s official guys. You shouldn’t go to your local server because your ping will be too low.

• Mod

I had a ping spike while surrounded by 3 dudes and I just spammed my dub axe in their general direction and killed them all.

• @50ShadesofClay:

yes, i’ve been saying this for some time now. I’ve had people go in almost slow motion and then ‘catch up’ to where they’re supposed to be and it looks like they toggled on speedhax all of a sudden. Then i’ve also had people swing through my parry, wind up for a combo and i get hit while their weapon is in the air and then immediately after because it’s behind. I’ve had knights dodge like an maa. I’ve had man at arms blink toward me like a fucked up vanguard charge. I’ve had people go in fast and slow motion.

I’ve had it all up to now. Constant teleporting and weird speed ups and slow downs in movement and footowork and shit.

I have had the slowmo happen when my ping is like 10 and everyone is 70+ along with many of the effects that you are seeing. I thought it was just me and I never said anything due to the few that flame and have no clue.

So many flaming retards that auto assume low ping = great gaming experience. I am not saying to not play with the best ping you can get. I am saying that there seems to be a sweet spot for ping VS everyone elses.

I have just started looking into UDK lag compensation and there really isnt any with the default engine. UDK expects devs to code in thier own lag compensation because of the many variables between the various games being designed. SO you would not have the same Lag compensation for a UDK moblie game that you would with a standard PC based game. The more I am reading the more I am learning. By TBS own admission they build this game with a primitive knowledge of the engine and are still learning. I would bet that coding in lag compensation along netcode and many other issues or choices of client vs server side hit detection being very complicated.