Replaced my Radeon card with much better NVidia, performance still bad

• I basically want to replace my Radeon card with NVidia because Chiv responds better to NVidia (due to PhysX, I presume).

My rig is 4 years old now. It’s running AMD Phenom II X6 1050T CPU at 3,6 GHz, and my mainboard is M4A78T-E. My current graphics card is a Radeon HD 5850. Needless to say, Chivalry doesn’t run very well on this setup. While 24 people servers are playable, anything more and I’m getting 40 FPS, which basically means that all quick weapons become a two-step stop-frame animation where the first frame is already too late to parry and the second frame hits you.

Now, I’ve observed that Chiv is very PhysX dependant. I had an example of a guy who was getting 30 FPS on an NVidia 780 card, and when he switched PhysX in NVidia Control Panel from CPU to GPU he started to get steady 60. Even my laptop, which has Intel/NVidia combo, runs this game slightly better than my main rig, even though all components of my laptop are weaker according to the specs.

Now, I want to switch to an NVidia card (either 660 or 770) as I’m pretty sure it will improve my FPS a lot. I know it’s pretty stupid to install such a power house together with a dated CPU, but if it’ll improve my FPS in Chiv then it’s worth it.

My question here is, does anyone else have any experiences with such setup? I’m trying to figure out whether it’ll actually help me before I spend my money.

• no clue tbh. I can say on my 775 socket rigs my fps is always 120fps but i max it at 90. Just edit a few lines.
    Also you can get a gtx580 on the bay and noted at auctions them going for £80 usually.

• [h=1]MSI GTX 770 Gaming only 280 euro’s, I play this game on ultra only lagg when ragdolls are on full and in a server with 50 players, but that’s not only by the 770 its also by the 780 or the 780ti (best card for gaming these days) So I should go for 770 :).[/h]

• Yes for chiv better nvidia, I have a r9 290@1.1ghz and this is the result:
    http://i.imgur.com/FjF7TwT.jpg

• Loin, Demonspree,

Can you please share what are your CPUs, exactly?

• At the moment I got a Qx9650 with a gtx580 and xp for my tvbox , it runs all but chivalry , some patch stopped that fun.
    my other rigs are Q9550’s with gtx580’s w8 pro 64bit rigs 8gb ram. A few days ago I had them both on steam in chivalry
    for a screenie of rrknight. 120fps both rigs on my lan here. Might look at the x99 chipset and ddr4 when its out

• @untore:

Yes for chiv better nvidia, I have a r9 290@1.1ghz and this is the result:
    http://i.imgur.com/FjF7TwT.jpg

Are those video settings maxed out?

I get 45 fps with an 7850 on Moor with mid settings (with AA enabled) (running at 1680*1050 instead of 1080p though).

• At the moment I have Intel Core I5 4670K 3.4ghz, 4 Threads, 6mb cache so do the math:
    L3 cache per core = 1,5 MB/core, I hope I helped u, but with the intel core CPU you should have no problem with a Nvidia card. Oh and ofcourse I play 1920x1080 on ultra except for ragdolls on full, I get a smooth 60+ fps. Before my game keeps freezing and crashing when I join/joined a game…

• A lot of it will depend on your motherboard and it’s PCIE slot. Is the slot PCIE, PCIE2 or PCIE3. If by some miracle it is PCIE3, get the best card you can afford because that will/should work great in your next upgrade. I wouldn’t go lower then PCIE2 card but remember that the cards will always clock down to the lowest PCIE slot and some will simply not work on a lower slot even though it should.

• Mod

The motherboard is a pcie 2 just to be aware. Hardocp doing some comparable tests with some 680’s found between 4-7% boost in pcie3 so pretty negligible. It’s always worth upgrading to the best card you can get then upgrading the mobo and CPU at a later time

• Okay, I bought and installed GTX 770 and here are the results.

While my GPU times in ‘stat unit’ have dramatically improved, the CPU still remains a bottleneck. Where GPU time is at 4 ms, Game time is at 20 ms, which essentially kills the framerate. Coldfront became playable with 45-50 FPS (from previous 25-30). EDIT: but only when I’m lucky, apparently, as it can still tank to 30…

At least I can now max out the video settings.

• man up and get a Titan Z 12GB

• Okay, guys. I’m kinda stuck here, maybe someone can explain.

http://imgur.com/a/Q7YJf

Why am I getting ridiculously low 45 FPS here? The server wasn’t even full at that point, probably 24 players out of max. 32. I went to BIOS and overclocked my CPU beyond the point where I think it’s stable just to see what will happen in the game. I had to underclock the RAM to ensure that Windows will boot, but I don’t think it has that much impact, as previously I had my DRAM frequency at 1378 MHz (1120 now) with CPU at 3,64GHz, and the timings were much worse.

• AMD CPUs suck ass.

• it is totally not your cpu, gpu and ram as you can see at gamedebate chivalry medieval warfare so. Maybe you have too much shit going on, on the background when playing.

• @Demonspree:

it is totally not your cpu, gpu and ram as you can see at gamedebate chivalry medieval warfare so. Maybe you have too much shit going on, on the background when playing.

There’s no disk activity going on. There’s plenty of free RAM. Game seems to use multiple CPU cores, overall CPU usage stays at 40%. No unessential processes are in the background.

• Your CPU sucks ass as you can see by the stat unit which is rendering at 20+ and your GPU is at 8…… Turn graphics down may help

• @robikz:

Okay, guys. I’m kinda stuck here, maybe someone can explain.

http://imgur.com/a/Q7YJf

Maybe I can give you some perspective. I own a Phenom x4 955, which is similar to your CPU.

I also get 45 FPS in Citadel with Mid/mid-low details. Specially in Citadel, as it’s a huge and poorly optimized map.

You probably get 120 FPS in Throneroom and about 60-80 in Arena.

That’s just the way Chivalry plays on some setups :(

Btw, how do you get those expanded fps stats?

stat fps only displays framerate and response time for me.

• If you mean the purple stats in the upper left corner, than it is MSi afterburner, download it free (google it).

• @Alphonse:

Are those video settings maxed out?

I get 45 fps with an 7850 on Moor with mid settings (with AA enabled) (running at 1680*1050 instead of 1080p though).

Yes settings maxed out except ragdolls and decals