First Person Tracers

• A big flaw of Chivalry is that the tracers in first person are generated from the thrid person animations. As you can see in this thread, they don’t really match up:
    http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/19524-Really-wonky-tracers?highlight=tracers

I’ve been testing making chages to the tracers with mods, and in one of my tests I chaged the tracers so that they use the first person animations instead. You can check it ou here:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=245759061

Some things I noticed:
    -The attacks feel a lot more precise.
    -I was initially missing a lot of attacks, because I was so used to having to offset my aim.
    -You can drag the swings a lot better, since the first person animations don’t decelerate at the end, unlike the third person attacks.
    -Chopping up dead bodies works better.

And some conclusions:
    -The fact that what you see on your screen is not what is actually happening creates an artificial skill gap between the beginers/veterans.
    -Playing in first person feels a lot better whit the mod, but it obviously is not a “fix” for the problem, since the player on the receiving end of the attacks is the one who is going to have to deal with the tracers’ inconsistencies.
    -Torn Banner should definitely make the animations match up and fix this issue. Actually, only the release animations need to be 1:1, and I don’t think that it would be hard to make such change.

• This would explain a lot.

• @Camponês:

-Chopping up dead bodies works better.

I must have this!

• @Martys:

I must have this!

I have had my dead body timer at 0 since last july lol…

• This sounds like what they should have done in the first place. You’re supposed to aim your swings and learn to aim parrys, but it always leads to inconsistencies and bullshittery and “wtf moments” as you’re learning the game.

Stack this on the pile of mistakes TBS made during development due to lack of experience, and continue towards Chivalry 2.

• Holy fuck, wish I could try this out…

• Mod

@Vanguard:

Holy fuck, wish I could try this out…

Me too man. I just don’t understand it. Why not make the animations match up :(

• @Camponês:

-Torn Banner should definitely make the animations match up and fix this issue. Actually, only the release animations need to be 1:1, and I don’t think that it would be hard to make such change.

This sounds good to me.

@Terminally:

I have had my dead body timer at 0 since last july lol…

Why would you do that? They can give you infinite stamina!

• Mod

If you can, you should draw parry tracers on the third person animations too. Would make defending a lot more consistent and still have the first person tracers. Definitely feels a lot more precise, flail’s actually somewhat useful.

• @Kim:

If you can, you should also draw parry tracers on the third person animations too. Would make defending a lot more consistent and still have the first person tracers. Definitely feels a lot more precise, flail’s actually somewhat useful.

Yeah, except every single weapon is way too fucking fast rofl. They’re all even faster than they were pre-handlehit-patch.

• @Flippy:

Yeah, except every single weapon is way too fucking fast rofl. They’re all even faster than they were pre-handlehit-patch.

Of course it’s a rough mod that needs some tweaking, but there’s obviously potential here.

• @Kim:

If you can, you should draw parry tracers on the third person animations too. Would make defending a lot more consistent and still have the first person tracers. Definitely feels a lot more precise, flail’s actually somewhat useful.

That would definitely improve things, but there would still be bit of ghost swing at the end of the slash attacks.

The wrong weapon speeds are probably because I used some old script files fore the weapons. I’ll try to fix that later.

I made another mod, that replaces the First person animations with the Third person animations:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=260130267

Some things I observerd:
    -Very disorienting but somewhat playable. The idle animation looks completely broken, though.
    -When you crouch walk you have about the same height as when you are standing.
    -Knight’s Crouching is broken for some reason.
    -Dodge and Vanguard’s Sprint Attack are broken in both third and first person.
    -The tracers still don’t match up, a perfect fix would not be just changing the release animations. It seems the position of the bones of the first person mesh doesn’t match the third person’s bones or something along those lines.

Next, I’m going to mix the two mods so that the tracers are generated from the first person weapons.

• Very interesting, I’ll keep an eye for this mod man and I wish you luck in this!