Shield on back count for headshot damage?

• @CRUSHED:

I wish shields on back wouldnt have the bug that you always get headshot damage when someone hits u from back, otherwise id use that against archers for sure

Please, just tell me this is not true.

I know that once upon the time inactive shield would count for headshot damage and that was fixed. And I hope that shield on back counting for headshot damage is a bug brought by any of these new patches, because that is the only thing that would keep my faith in TB. I believe that anyone with a slightly more than a half brain would have figured it out and would have checked that nothing else but the head itself counts for headshot damage after being enlightened that the shield while held in hand does as well.

Edit:
    Tested and conclusion is that shield on back DO NOT count for headshot damage.

• Global Moderator

I still put away by shield when archers are behind me and it does no damage whatsoever.

• @lemonater47:

I still put away by shield when archers are behind me and it does no damage whatsoever.

Got the flu Lemon?

• Global Moderator

@gndo:

Got the flu Lemon?

The wonders of autocorrect.

• Seeing random arrows and axes liter your back is always a fun time.

• Mod

It counts as torso damage, not headshot.

• ^^^

As far as I know, this bug was fixed. Idle shields used to count for HS damage when struck, not sure if it counted for HS damage when on your back though. I think that has always counted for torso, but with this games history, I could be wrong.

• Mod

I always turn my back to archers. It gives them less area to hit, and it shows I’ve got an anti archer attitude and don’t want to look the filthy rats directly in the eyes. Only once I’ve killed them and I’m standing over their worthless blood stained corpse do I give them that honour.

• I think the bug was in reference to melee attacks doing headshot damage when hit in the back when you have your shield unequipped? I don’t think it has to do with projectiles.

• Yes, unequipped shield, at your back and its interaction with melee attacks. Crushed claims it will always count for headshot damage if hit while unequipped on your back.

I don’t really know how to test it.

• @Martys:

Yes, unequipped shield, at your back and its interaction with melee attacks. Crushed claims it will always count for headshot damage if hit while unequipped on your back.

I don’t really know how to test it.

Wear a shield on your back, get an archer to shoot that shield, note any damage taken.

• @gndo:

Wear a shield on your back, get an archer to shoot that shield, note any damage taken.

Why would you have archer shoot it if melee damage is the one that is needed?

Besides, we all know that shield in back blocks projectiles. That doesn’t need testing.

• if this was fixed the i missed it and i was wrong, i never remember any fix for this thats why i tought its still the headshot damage bug

• @Kreittis:

Why would you have archer shoot it if melee damage is the one that is needed?

Besides, we all know that shield in back blocks projectiles. That doesn’t need testing.

Well that wasn’t made clear in this thread, OP just said archers.

• @CRUSHED:

i never remember any fix

Did they ever give patch notes for the stamina changes? I never noticed that they put combo-feints back to 15 stam and lowered combo-parry to 5 until recently; also with the out-of-breath signal at 15 instead of 30.

• @CRUSHED:

if this was fixed the i missed it and i was wrong, i never remember any fix for this thats why i tought its still the headshot damage bug

[h=1]Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Update Released[/h]

Product Update - Valve
    26 Jun 2013

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare has now released CU1 Patch 2! This was a month and a half long process of updating and testing on our beta app, so we’re happy to finally get this released to the live game.

Bugs Fixed:
    ….snip…
    Shield hitbox for inactive shields counting as headshot damage for melee weapons.
    …snip…

It was only for inactive shield while being held in hand. Dunno if it is or ever was for shield on back but I am going to assume you don’t know it either.

Butthurt mode deactivate. Now only someone to confirm that it does not count for headshot damage while on one’s back just to be sure. But something tells me it does not count at all for damage, as that would make pavise archers really easy to hit in melee.

Oh yeah, and to all suggesting to test it with archers and arrows…. google what melee or mêlée means.

• Mod

You can easily test if it counts as headshot damage or torso by using the maul. Hit their back and see if they get oneshotted.

It doesn’t one shot, if anything hitting the shield above their head should protect them from getting oneshotted because it hit their “torso” before their head.

• So it occured to me how to test this reliably and that is using the printed damage in console after getting killed. Using bots I came to this conclusion and that is that shields on one’s back does not count as headshot damage when struck.

There is no real downside to putting your shield away, it does not increase the damage you take. Now I can sleep well once again.

Reacting to the original statement by CRUSHED I say: Your need not to wish that as the shields do not do that, you can use shield on your back without any downside.

• Too bad arrows hitting your shield stops health and stamina regen… Ever since last January 2013 patch…