Chambering Attacks

• Hey chiv community! I would like to propose an idea I got from another thread and from Mount and Blade Warband, which would be the ability to chamber your attacks. First I will state what this is and how it would work.

Chambering attacks are basically like attacking the other persons attack so you can play defensively in an offensive manner in order to create more opportunities to strike him, or even another person. This would work by targeting the center of another persons weapon and catching it at the beginning of his release and your release.

Now, the reason why I feel like this mechanic would add a lot more depth into the game is because this would make feints much more risky then they are now, because sometimes people will wan’t to play aggressive in order to play defensive making your feint a huge loss of stamina and resulting in you taking a hit if you aren’t on your toes expecting feints to just do all the work for you. This would also make those really pesky hit trades happen a lot less often and instead replace it with a skill based mechanic.

In general, here’s how I feel like they should work. After you instigate the initial interaction between the two weapons you should be able to angle your attacks to try and keep the other weapon away from you while earning yourself a hit on them. A bit like flourishing in a real weapon fight I suppose. This mechanic should have no restrictions, besides a no feint restriction while doing this interaction much like the no feint restriction on ripostes.

You should be able to target switch off of a flourish, get away from the fight entirely (with stamina loss and a short knockback + VERY short stun), or angle off into the person effectively hitting him dealing damage.

What do you guys think? It would be extremely refreshing and add a lot more complexity to the game, making it on par with feints and end feints literally being the only way to play this game in a competitive environment.

side note keep technical limitations out of this, ik it will be extremely hard to program or whatever just talk balance please. Build off of the original point and if you disagree tell me why :D Add in a replacement mechanic so feints aren’t the base of the game? Also flippy and others try to add to the conversation instead of saying no major mechanics two years after release. Tell me why it won’t work or why it would be unbalanced, not “DON’T CHANGE THE GAMEEEEE” Hopefully we can build off of this idea or suggest an alternative through bi-partisan decision making and balancing. Thank you chivalry community :D

• Yes, but at a much, much later date.
    I’m thinking… Chivalry 7 or something.

(Chivalry 7 hereby confirmed)

• Great idea, let’s reward aggressive playstyles more. Might as well lower 2h flinch to 0.5 sec while we are at it.

• @Kreittis:

Great idea, let’s reward aggressive playstyles more. Might as well lower 2h flinch to 0.5 sec while we are at it.

This is meant to keep people who rely on flinch or hit trading out of the equation, did you even read all the way through? A game without an incentive to attack is pretty boring and takes out the immediate danger type of feel out of the game. Only way I would buff defensive playstyles is to nerf stamina drain and make stamina less important in this game. Balancing playstyles off of stamina is poor balance in my book. Also this is technically playing defensively through an offensive matter.

• There’s a poll on this matter already. But I never understood the difference between chambering and parry+riposte.

Btw,
    Edges of Knowledge: Parrying With A Cutting Sword

• MOUNT AND BLADE TROLOLOLOL. I like that

• @Alphonse:

There’s a poll on this matter already. But I never understood the difference between chambering and parry+riposte.

With a chambr you have to attack the other persons attack in a sense, this would usually only cause this chamber interaction if the release of both weapons was at relatively the same time and aimed at each other properly. This solves feints being the king of all mechanics and makes everything a bit riskier but very rewarding. Major positives are balancing feints, and rewarding counter playstyles as I’m sure this would be much harder to parry and play off of than a traditional riposte.

• Its not rewarding aggresive playstyle its just raising the skill cap and giving us more tools to work with.

• Warband is a shit game for terribad people with joke mechanism and combat, from this point the answer is no, thx for your contribution.

• @Sophax:

Its not rewarding aggresive playstyle its just raising the skill cap and giving us more tools to work with.

Heh, I’m having a little more success with my proposal then previous attempts :P It will be a pretty controversial topic I presume I understand players resistant to change, but this idea is soooo good in my opinion. It just has to be worked perfectly.

• @Edmund:

Warband is a shit game for terribad people with joke mechanism and combat, from this point the answer is no, thx for your contribution.

Well it’s competitive scene is certainly stronger than chivalry’s atm. lol Also, subscribing to one idea of a philosophy does not inherently make you agree with all the points proposed within the philosophy. Warband may be a terribad game, but they certainly got one thing right with this mechanic.

• @Huggles:

With a chambr you have to attack the other persons attack in a sense, this would usually only cause this chamber interaction if the release of both weapons was at relatively the same time and aimed at each other properly. This solves feints being the king of all mechanics and makes everything a bit riskier but very rewarding. Major positives are balancing feints, and rewarding counter playstyles as I’m sure this would be much harder to parry and play off of than a traditional riposte.

OK, I get it now.
    I say no. I’ve played Chivalry for too long to know it’s not viable considering all the other mechanics in this game and its netcode. I know TB is fixing lots of stuff, but, man, you have to be realistic (said a crazy nine fingered Northerner in some book)

I also don’t like how this would play out in group fights.

Offensive styles are OK atm, and those who play defensively, basically rely on counter attacking for the most part. Feints are not the only way to win. But most of all, I really don’t want to learn how to deal with the frustration of suffering from broken or imperfect mechanics.

@Huggles:

Well it’s competitive scene is certainly stronger than chivalry’s atm.

I’ve never played M&B but from I’ve seen in videos of “pro” players I believe it’s one of the most dumb mechanics I’ve ever seen in a fighting game. Like in this vid. It’s like their just spamming shit not caring whatever the other guy is doing.

It brings to mind this gif

Or maybe one of the Star wars kid ones.

Chivalry, with all its flaws, is 10x times more fun in 3rd person than Mount and Blade, IMO.

• would be amazing especially if you could keep comboing of the chamber

• I respect your opinion, but could you give be a specific example or reason as to why it won’t work? This thread was meant to be productive in all senses of bringing new ideas or alternatives and while stating your opinion is useful I’d rather just have you petition on the poll :P However if this is just a feely issue I totally understand. It would certainly make this game a lot harder than it already is but feints need an equally used mechanic and this fits perfectly.

• @CRUSHED:

would be amazing especially if you could keep comboing of the chamber

I intend this to be the case, with very limited stamina drain as well to keep on making that skill ceiling higher. We need more options than just feints and this fits the bill. Target switching will be brought to new hights.

• @Alphonse:

OK, I get it now.
    I say no. I’ve played Chivalry for too long to know it’s not viable considering all the other mechanics in this game and its netcode. I know TB is fixing lots of stuff, but, man, you have to be realistic (said a crazy nine fingered Northerner in some book)

I also don’t like how this would play out in group fights.

Offensive styles are OK atm, and those who play defensively, basically rely on counter attacking for the most part. Feints are not the only way to win. But most of all, I really don’t want to learn how to deal with the frustration of suffering from broken or imperfect mechanics.

I’ve never played M&B but from I’ve seen in videos of “pro” players I believe it’s one of the most dumb mechanics I’ve ever seen in a fighting game. Like in this vid. It’s like their just spamming shit not caring whatever the other guy is doing.

It brings to mind this gif

Or maybe one of the Star wars kid ones.

Chivalry, with all its flaws, is 10x times more fun in 3rd person than Mount and Blade, IMO.

Well this certainly won’t result in spamming at all, this actually eliminates that. As I said it has to be perfectly timed, aimed, and reacted too. Spammers get nerfed even more with this added in.

• This doesn’t really concern me but I’m gonna say yes.

• Chambering would be amazing. I can’t take anyone serious who’s theorycrafting like they know what they’re talking about.

Alphonse stop because you don’t know what you’re talking about same goes for you Edmund.

I’ve played and mastered both games. Chambering is a high skill move and an art.

Raises the skill cap. Thats it.

People will just say or vote no because they’re afraid of change or don’t know what they’re talking about. Its sad realy.

• @Huggles:

Well this certainly won’t result in spamming at all, this actually eliminates that. As I said it has to be perfectly timed, aimed, and reacted too. Spammers get nerfed even more with this added in.

Spamming relies on sheer force but mostly on chance to cause damage (i.e., a very small distraction, small timing mistake).
    Chambering would not eliminate spamming completely, and again, it might sound good on 1 on 1 but I don’t like how this would play in a group fight.

Also, do you know what other mechanic must be perfectly timed to work properly on Chivalry? Flinching; parrying. Are those 100% reliable? No. You want TB to introduce a new mechanic that I think is harder to implement into a game that’s not running as smoothly as it could.

I say no.

• @Sophax:

Chambering would be amazing. I can’t take anyone serious who’s theorycrafting like they know what they’re talking about.

Alphonse stop because you don’t know what you’re talking about same goes for you Edmund.

I’ve played and mastered both games. Chambering is a high skill move and an art.

Raises the skill cap. Thats it.

People will just say or vote no because they’re afraid of change or don’t know what they’re talking about. Its sad realy.

Aye, sick of flippy’s posts only being (don’t change the game) with enough support however, the devs could take this into consideration and get behind this idea and fine tune it much better than mount and blade did. After all taking inspiration from other games is never a bad thing.