Gripe thread (git gud)

• I love Chivalry, but at the same time it’s one of the few games that makes me rage as hard as Peruvians in Dota 2.

I’ll break it down into a few categories.

Gameplay/Mechanical Issues:

Dragging: I personally hate whoever thought of this. Coming from the mindset of someone who plays very good hack n’ slash PvP like Dark Souls, dragging takes away more depth than it adds. Delaying swings is one thing, but when you can swing, miss, but spin your mouse fast enough to clip someone and score full damage as if you hit them directly it’s a major issue. Goes double for wildly crouching and looking around. If you wanted to add depth, you’d have been better off adding in ‘sweet spot’ locational damage during the swing. IE: You only get full damage on contact with a section of the weapon during the point of the swing where the most energy is being transferred to the weapon. For Mauls, it would be in the middle of the overhead, or for a Greatsword, within the 60 degree arc in front of the player. Missed and glancing hits would do reduced damage. I sincerely feel that the game would be better if you were to lock the mouse on a swing.

Hitboxes/Weapon Range: Deceptively long/short weapons that don’t match their models really annoy me. I’ve lost count how many times I’ve swung my weapon, watched it pass through the person, and only received an overhead killing blow for my attempt thanks to either horrible hit detection or just plain bad luck. Which is something else that bugs me;

Luck > Skill: I refuse to accept that this game rewards people who use the tactic of spinning the mouse while crouching and looking down. It’s not at all a measure of skill to spam a Zweihander in this ridiculous way that not only racks up kills, it’s impossible to parry and you can do nothing to counter it aside from turtle behind a shield. All because of the issue previously mentioned with hitboxes and dragging.

Headshots do not kill people: A major pet peeve of mine is putting an arrow through another player’s eye/nose/face with no helmet protection and only watching their helmet plink off. Defying all logic and reason especially when the specific counter arrows (Bodkin/Broadhead) are used vs. that player, and still it’s not enough to kill them with a headshot.

Weapon/Class Balance:

Vanguards: The baseline scrub class that runs rampant spamming LMB and the most notorious team killer class in the game (baring the random spam Archer). Zweihanders are ubiquitously overpowered with ridiculous reach, recovery time, parry speed, and attack/combo speed. And they will kill any MAA or Archer instantly off even a grazing slash or overhead. Brandistocks are right up there with insane reach, damage, and typing that counters all class armor with no negative repercussions.

Knights: The Bearded Axe (though awesome and one of my favorite real world weapons) is pretty much a faster Maul. And the Maul will one shot anyone with an overhead, or at least I always get murdered by a single overhead hitting my foot while my Maul hits pulverize a chest or head, and they limp away (go inconsistent damage!). The Messer’s is pretty much Falchion 2.0 and is one of the most overpowered swords in the game thanks to the swing speed, and the damage being enough to one shot light classes.

Archers: Siege Crossbow and War Bow. The damage on these two weapons is disgusting, and the worst part is how often Archers will just be the crappy ones shooting arrows and bolts randomly into a melee and hoping they get lucky.

Man-At-Arms: Seeing as his primaries are all secondaries he has no real issues with balance, aside from the hitbox bug still being a freaking nightmare while playing him.

Notice: I complain about things and I feel are genuinely dysfunctional, and I refuse to use anything I ever find to be overpowered. That is to say I don’t cheapen victory by resorting to scrub tactics. I pride myself on killing players who can’t do anything without their precious Zweihanders. Yes, I play MAA as my main class. No, that is not the reason why I don’t find anything wrong with their kits.

So go ahead and debunk or try to convince me otherwise on my points. Half the time my in-game rage is dismissed as “listen to the level 20 bitch lol”. I’d be a lot higher level with a lot more achievements if Torn Banner bothered to fix their game when I still played it a lot. Really appreciate that stat bug guys.

• Chivalry has been out for over a year and a half now and feints are STILL a thing.
    There are threads almost daily about feints and for good reason.
    Because they are stupid, and have been since they were introduced.
    The whole idea of a feint is stupid in this game since it practically guarantees a free hit on your opponent. The “elite” of this game try to justify feints by saying they are readable (they aren’t lol you must have potato syndrome if you think that feints are readable or predictable) which I find quite ironic since the very same people are found falling for them ingame just like everyone else. There is no way to tell a feint from a real attack. All you can do is try and wait until the last second to parry and good luck parrying if they’ve feinted into a lookdown overhead. In every server you play in, there is always somebody calling somebody else out on being a feg for using feints and with good reason.
    Feints are a guessing game
    I can deal with the all in one, can do absolutely everything greatsword and the pro rank 50s that use it exclusively and think they’re good.
    But feints are dogshit. I can’t believe that there are people that still actually defend feints.
    After all this time. All the butthurt it has caused. All the controversy for and against feints. Since release this has been a topic. And feints still aren’t gone or at least fixed.
    good feint m8! Wow that was a good feint! totally didn’t see that 1!! OMG that feint was amazing!!! gg
    What’s sad is I heard some clanfags say this in one of their videos the other day. GOOD FEINT M8 GOOD FEINT!!
    TB please fix the dogshit that is feints and stop spilling coffee all over the servers.
    But as I’m sure I’m going to be told by the best community ever, I guess I just need to “git gud”.
    GIT GUD M8 GOOD FEINT M8 GOOD FEINT!! TOP KEK I TIP MUH HELMET 2 U

• This never gets old.

• @swagfox:

Chivalry has been out for over a year and a half now and feints are STILL a thing.
    There are threads almost daily about feints and for good reason.
    Because they are stupid, and have been since they were introduced.
    The whole idea of a feint is stupid in this game since it practically guarantees a free hit on your opponent. The “elite” of this game try to justify feints by saying they are readable (they aren’t lol you must have potato syndrome if you think that feints are readable or predictable) which I find quite ironic since the very same people are found falling for them ingame just like everyone else. There is no way to tell a feint from a real attack. All you can do is try and wait until the last second to parry and good luck parrying if they’ve feinted into a lookdown overhead. In every server you play in, there is always somebody calling somebody else out on being a feg for using feints and with good reason.
    Feints are a guessing game
    I can deal with the all in one, can do absolutely everything greatsword and the pro rank 50s that use it exclusively and think they’re good.
    But feints are dogshit. I can’t believe that there are people that still actually defend feints.
    After all this time. All the butthurt it has caused. All the controversy for and against feints. Since release this has been a topic. And feints still aren’t gone or at least fixed.
    good feint m8! Wow that was a good feint! totally didn’t see that 1!! OMG that feint was amazing!!! gg
    What’s sad is I heard some clanfags say this in one of their videos the other day. GOOD FEINT M8 GOOD FEINT!!
    TB please fix the dogshit that is feints and stop spilling coffee all over the servers.
    But as I’m sure I’m going to be told by the best community ever, I guess I just need to “git gud”.
    GIT GUD M8 GOOD FEINT M8 GOOD FEINT!! TOP KEK I TIP MUH HELMET 2 U

Feints aren’t supposed to be readable,they re stamina heavy fake outs that are purely psychological and can be called by thinking multiple steps in advanced on how the scenario will play out. It’s educated guessing, not 50/50 I don’t really know what I’m doing type of guessing. If they boil down to luck how come these “clan fags” come out on top 90% of the time in feint duels against other people? I agree the game is too feint heavy but feints are in no way “broken” or complete luck. Read my chambering post to see for a way to make feints less used without nerfing to the ground.

• such fed

/10hws

• @Iratus412:

I love Chivalry, but at the same time it’s one of the few games that makes me rage as hard as Peruvians in Dota 2.

Wait, where are you from?
    I thought this was one of those xenofobic things only my own country would profess.

• @Huggles:

Feints aren’t supposed to be readable,they re stamina heavy fake outs that are purely psychological and can be called by thinking multiple steps in advanced on how the scenario will play out. It’s educated guessing, not 50/50 I don’t really know what I’m doing type of guessing. If they boil down to luck how come these “clan fags” come out on top 90% of the time in feint duels against other people? I agree the game is too feint heavy but feints are in no way “broken” or complete luck. Read my chambering post to see for a way to make feints less used without nerfing to the ground.

Looks like you’re new here

• @Bluebeard:

Looks like you’re new here

To the forums yes, to the game absolutely not. 1800+ hours

• He’s new to the forums. You’re responding to stale chiv forum pasta.

• I think feints always have had an issue. You can actually react to some of them depending on weapon used and distance enemy is from you. It wouldn’t be as big of an issue if this was an offline game. But through in the online lag factor and it becomes really irritating trying to telegraph feints. Some people think it should or is just a straight up guessing game, which on a game theory standpoint is usually not a good. I’m always a firm believer in player skill over randomness in any comp-like game. Perhaps if feints had an audio cue, they would be easier to react to? I mean, that would not really change the actual mechanics. Just my suggestion.

• Sorry this got double posted. I didn’t read the pop up that an admin has to approve a new thread, and thought my browser just derped.

• @Gauntlet:

He’s new to the forums. You’re responding to stale chiv forum pasta.

My sides, I thought that looked familiar…

• @Huggles:

To the forums yes, to the game absolutely not. 1800+ hours

I have 3.8k hours in chiv, get gud scrubbie pubbie player.

• i never heard boxer complaining “buhuu ref… that was so unfair… he feigned a left straight and hit me with a right hook that’s so unfair!” feints are part of a melee combat… they were back then… they are today… just because some guys can’t stand to get tricked they want them gone… i’d like to see them in a RL fight once “you Cheater! you’re using feints!”…

Man-At-Arms: Seeing as his primaries are all secondaries he has no real issues with balance, aside from the hitbox bug still being a freaking nightmare while playing him.

of course… because of that there are countless “Nerf MAA” threads around…

i guess he mainly plays MAA and just can’t stand to get a) tricked by feints and/or b) killed because he screwed up…

• fun fact: people cry about feints in real life, people cry about feints in other games, people cry about feints in chivalry

• I sometimes like to pee in the OTHER guys urinal. Hehehe

So no worries, OP. Every once in a while, the folded napkin gets sucked into the crack. However, we must have the fortitude to move it back under the scrotum where it belongs.

• @CRUSHED:

fun fact: people cry about feints in real life, people cry about feints in other games, people cry about feints in chivalry

to make it short: people cry about everything everywhere

• @CRUSHED:

fun fact: people cry about feints in real life, people cry about feints in other games, people cry about feints in chivalry

I’m going to frame that and put it above my fireplace so I can see it all the time…