Chivalry 2 Ideas!

• I’m creating this thread so we can discuss what a sequel to the most successful first person slasher should, and could look like. We should tackle these areas of gameplay and how they should work as opposed to now:

-Parries/blocks
    -Drags
    -Feints
    -New classes
    -New game types
    -Single player mode
    -Coop
    -New Customization

Edit: Still try to argue balance, just don’t over criticize people

Also, for the more hardcore guys we can discuss the technicals such as

-Revamped tracers
    -New stamina system
    -Attack Phases

Also, discuss chambering >.>

All these topics can go either way, I just wan’t a shit ton of cool ideas going into this forum idc about your rank or experience, because since this isn’t my precious chivalry I dumped 1800 hours of my life into, I don’t care much about bad balance ideas. Let’s just have some fun proposing new stuff :D

• I want 1hits kills and taking armor in consideration not only life.

• Parries: make it harder by making the parry box smaller.
    Drags: make it so some weapons like maul and Messer dont skip frames so retardedly so you can tell where the weapon is during release more accurately versus just memorizing when to parry.
    New classes: maa with longsword was fun in lightsaber mod. Id like to see maa have some 2handers, not big boy vanguard 2handers but something like longsword so they can do drags and have a more versatile offense available to them.
    Other thoughts: maybe a third person option but you can’t move while doing it or something, but it shouldn’t be in the game as it is right now.
    No projectiles: maybe throwing axes and knives but archers and firepots have to go. Not even about being op or imbalanced it’s just not fun.

• new devs

• Why do you people want Chivalry 2 so soon?
    Torn Banner still has a lot to learn. This is their first game (not counting AoC mod). This game still has an enormous amount of potential and a great future - let them “master” Chivalry first, make it even better and we as a community should help them.

Later, when the time finally comes, they will be ready to make Chivalry 2.

Making Chivalry 2 too soon is just bad.

• This game still has an enormous amount of potential and a great future

LoL, where is this great future, the game is just boring as fuck now, not only the gameplay but the fact that there is only noobs everywhere, you can’t find one decent person on old duel server nowadays thats just ridiculous, all the good players stop or play this game 1 time every 2 week, dead game.

• I want every weapon in this game(including the ones from DW) in the sequel.

• @Vesanus:

Why do you people want Chivalry 2 so soon?
    Torn Banner still has a lot to learn. This is their first game (not counting AoC mod). This game still has an enormous amount of potential and a great future - let them “master” Chivalry first, make it even better and we as a community should help them.

Later, when the time finally comes, they will be ready to make Chivalry 2.

They built the game off of a broke foundation and relatively unpolished. Just as a smart business move they should already be working on chivalry 2, you’re naive to think they haven’t given it a ton of thought. People didn’t get turned off from chivalry because it was hard, people go turned off because it LOOKED broken. If they just make the animations way easier to understand and give all the mechanics a load of polish the noobies wouldn’t be so angry. Noobies rage because the tutorial is shit and teaches wrong things. Making a new POLISHED game fairly perfect from the start is the only thing that will get chivalry in the lime light again, only this time it will stay there. Also, they need to seriously get behind the competitive scene, that’s another big reason the game is dying, cater more towards competitive players pls.

• people go turned off because it LOOKED broken. If they just make the animations way easier to understand and give all the mechanics a load of polish the noobies wouldn’t be so angry. Noobies rage because the tutorial is shit and teaches wrong things

Pretty true, but the problem is also what newbs consider broken, like dragging, feinting, this is a problem of communication, they should have put some video tutorial about mechanism on the frontpage of the game, like how to counter drags, feint etc and this would have reduce the whine and rage quit a lot, there is small thing to like the default fov to low or the Q binded for feinting by default, some people don’t even bother with settings and they fail because of that without even knowing it.

I hope they learned the lesson to with the big summer patch, never balance a game around noobs, because anyway they will always get rekt by better player and they will always find something broken, OP.

• the ability to record demo to, i hope this will work correctly in chiv2, hopefully the game will be in a non-joke engine.

• @Edmund:

I hope they learned the lesson to with the big summer patch, never balance a game around noobs, because anyway they will always get rekt by better player and they will always find something broken, OP.

Besides attempting to reinvigorate the dwindling and toxic community, this is all I say when it comes to balance :P but for now we need to keep posts positive and try and get people excited about this game again. Hoping for a sequel can do some of that.

• @Huggles:

Making a new POLISHED game fairly perfect from the start is the only thing that will get chivalry in the lime light again, only this time it will stay there.

Mhm, maybe you are right but I still think it is too soon. What if they fail again, make Chiv2 even worse?

• @Vesanus:

Mhm, maybe you are right but I still think it is too soon. What if they fail again, make Chiv2 even worse?

Only way to succeed in life is to take risks, there is no such thing as a safe business decision and there will never be one, but a sequel is their best and only chance to pick things up again.

• @Edmund:

Pretty true, but the problem is also what newbs consider broken, like dragging, feinting, this is a problem of communication, they should have put some video tutorial about mechanism on the frontpage of the game, like how to counter drags, feint etc and this would have reduce the whine and rage quit a lot, there is small thing to like the default fov to low or the Q binded for feinting by default, some people don’t even bother with settings and they fail because of that without even knowing it.

• the ability to record demo to, i hope this will work correctly in chiv2, hopefully the game will be in a non-joke engine.

I know a lot of new players who were turned off of chivalry by the idea of such mechanics as dragging. They wanted a semi-realistic medieval fight simulator but instead received an akward back bending arcade game where the guy who swings slower wins? I mention dragging because noobs didn’t mind feints as it was semi-plausible but the ability to purposefully slow down a swing to hit someone is utterly ridiculous (in reality). The feints they were OK with but they hated people who abused them with short weapons and how they continually were parried by a guy with a dagger when they swung large weapons at them. These are the complaints the noobs I’ve played with had anyways. If Chiv 2 fixed these things I think all would be well.

• @Helrin2:

I know a lot of new players who were turned off of chivalry by the idea of such mechanics as dragging. They wanted a semi-realistic medieval fight simulator but instead received an akward back bending arcade game where the guy who swings slower wins? I mention dragging because noobs didn’t mind feints as it was semi-plausible but the ability to purposefully slow down a swing to hit someone is utterly ridiculous (in reality). The feints they were OK with but they hated people who abused them with short weapons and how they continually were parried by a guy with a dagger when they swung large weapons at them. These are the complaints the noobs I’ve played with had anyways. If Chiv 2 fixed these things I think all would be well.

I like drags, thats what make Chiv interesting for me.

• matchmaking

• Lethargy should be introduced or at least attempted. More weight needs to be given to the players actions and movements so the sketch factor on the battlefield remains low. The Hoover Vacuum Charge Attack comes to mind, as well as sprinting players changing direction on a dime, their entire mass and weight defying the laws of physics.

Easiest example I can point to that’s already in game is the swing sensitivity cap mechanic. But a better example is the prone to idle animations in BF3. BF3 in general was quite a switch for those that moved from BC2. I remember saying immediately “my guy feels like there’s more weight to him”.

This is somewhat of a restricting factor insofar as the player is concerned, but it will allow you longer and smoother animations while adding to consistency.

^^^ This all pretty much just translates into better, smoother animations. I’d be interested in seeing what the ANT tech inside of Frostbite could do. Too bad its owned by crab people.

• @Vesanus:

Even if they’ve already started on it, and I think they probably have, it’ll still be a couple of years away. Four years between chiv and chiv 2 seems about right to me.

• the combat system of chivalry is by far the best out of all melee games so we shouldnt try to change it too much

-more accurate tracers
    -more & polished mechanics (chambering, advanced fighting stances)
    -matchmaking with MMR system for 5v5/3v3/1v1
    -better clan support
    -demo system / battle recorder
    -avatar system ( head,torso,gloves,shoulders,pants,feet , left hand right hand for Armor/Weapon slots, weight determines your movement speed and armor determines your health/protection, naked guy would be fast but oneshot from anything, while super heavy knight is really slow)

• ^ above with alot of customization, TONS of customization options with a system like this
      -remove class system
      -add alot of weapons
      -add alot of armors

btw dont expect chiv 2 for another 2 years lol

• Global Moderator

@Harry:

Even if they’ve already started on it, and I think they probably have, it’ll still be a couple of years away. Four years between chiv and chiv 2 seems about right to me.

Heard of deadliest warrior? They can make a game fast. I was in the first alpha batch and the progress was amazing.

• I can’t believe they are working 8 hours from Monday to Friday and release almost no content at all, bet they’re working on CMW2.