Fix the game, ditch the first person model

• Torn banner should do this:

ditch the current first person model completely;
    slap a camera in the head of the third person model;
    add a rotation modifier so you can have a head bob slider or something;
    make the head invisible in first person so the camera doesn’t clip (but find a way to let the transparent head cast a shadow, else it will look weird);
    eventually adjust third person animations so that they feel right in first person.

There ya have it, the game is (almost) fixed, no more tracers inconsistency between first and third person, you don’t need to do first person animations anymore, plus first person actually matches your shadows for increased immersion in the game.

There is a nice UDK tutorial that explains how to do a real first person: https://forums.epicgames.com/threads/765437-True-First-Person-Weld-camera-to-bone-or-socket-Body-Awareness

And here’s a Chivalry Developer Blog from 2011: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXnGr-g07pI

if you look closely in the video, at 0:40 you can see that the shadow cast by the player matches the first person hands, unlike what we have now. This leads me to think that TB had a true first person before, but they removed it for some reason.

Maybe the reason was, considering that you don’t have spatial awareness in games, they had to make the idle animation look like what you see at 1:20.
    It looked a bit stupid maybe, but was necessary in order to make the player see their weapon. Then, perhaps they said “Oh screw it, we are going to make a fake first person just because we don’t like how the idle animation looks” or maybe another reason. But are the downsides (tracers inconsistency being the biggest one) that come with fake FP worth it? Not in my opinion.

Then, at 1:46, he says: “…there’s only one rig for first and third person, so you, your opponent, and the server ALL SEE THE SAME THING. This means that in C:MW, WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET”. This seems to prove my theory that they had a true first person before. The fact is that right now, we dont’ see what we get in a fake first person. And this is not good for a game like this.

• This post is deleted!

• Mod

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS. Sprinkles more this on top

• @FrankHH:

Torn banner should do this:

ditch the current first person model completely;

Are you sure your on the right website? What do you mean remove first person … you must be mixed up with
    phantasy star universe or a Mr magoo cartoon.

• @loin:

Are you sure your on the right website? What do you mean remove first person … you must be mixed up with
    phantasy star universe or a Mr magoo cartoon.

Crap, I forgot “fake” in the title. The title should have been “Fix the game, ditch the fake first person model”

Sorry if I was not very clear, what I meant was remove the current fake first person model and replace it with a true one.

• Global Moderator

The current first person models works better with higher FOVs.

What at they need to do is alter the 3rd person animations to better Match the first person animations with the tracers and everything.

• I’ve been doing some research on this with some test mods: http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/19988-First-Person-Tracers

And I think I’ve managed to pinpoint the reasons for the tracers inconsistencies:
    1-The 3rd and 1st person release animations don’t match.
    2-This:
    edit: actually, it seems that my mod that broke the models. I still need to investigate more.

• I’m all in to what the OP said.