Are shields overpowered?

• Sorry, I’m new to the game. I love it! My only gameplay complaints are that as a Samurai, I can’t dual wield the Katana/Wakizashi and shields just seem so overpowered. I go on dueling servers a lot and everytime it gets dominated by Spartans, Vikings, and Knights with the mace.

It seems like there is just no possible way to beat them unless the player is really bad. Any tips on what to do here? Am I just doing something wrong?

• ways to beat shield

1. If you have thumb buttons on your mouse or hold down alt, your swings will come from the other side. This means a side swing will swing from the left instead of the right. Since shield are held on the right most beginners with shields won’t look at the weapon and the swing will hit them, follow up with a stab since it is fast. Note: this doesn’t work on experienced players since they will look at the weapon.

2. Ripostes. If you attack immediately after you parry someone your attack will come out a lot faster than usual. Shields usually can’t raise their shields fast enough so this can be a free hit. Note: Ripostes can’t be done when you are using a shield

3. Flinching. If you attack them during their windup of their attack then they won’t be able to finish their attack. Since they are attacking they won’t be blocking either, opening them up for attack. You should probably do this with a faster weapon. Note: if you do this too late in the attack motion the attack will continue, most likely hitting you. This is risky if done wrong.

4. kick them, it works sometimes.

• It can be really hard to kick so shields are a lot better in DW. As stated above, those are probably your best chances against them. But the Spartan shields are by far the worst.

• The Viking shield is the worst offender in my experience. The fuckin thing blatantly blocks side and back attacks sometimes, plus it can be thrown at people’s heads for massive damage.

• It always feels great to parry a projectile though.

• @Oy:

plus it can be thrown at people’s heads for massive damage.

Launching that thing across the map and thonking someone in the head is the best thing about this game.

• Shields are fine, just don’t charge into them.

Get better and keep trying.

Get a feel for the range of the class you’re going up against.

Try to think in their mindset, predict how they’ll react, and get them to do what you want and fight on your terms without realizing it.

• Beating a shield user in Chivalry Medieval Warfare:

• Attack them. They will get hit or hold shield up and block attacks.

• If they hold shield up and you aren’t already attacking, hold F to heavy kick them in order to stun them for a free attack.

• If they only raise shield when they see you attack, feint them. This makes them raise shield without you attacking, now you are free to heavy kick.

• They’re really good and let down their shield after you feinted, so now by the time you heavy kick them, they let their shield down and don’t get stunned. In this case, feint an attack, then wait and deliver a REAL attack at the same time you think they’re going to lower their shield. Lowering and re-raising the shield takes time so if you read them, you will hit them. Mix real attacks, feint -> attacks, and feint -> kicks and even the best shield users will fear you.

Apply the same ideas to Deadliest Warrior. However, remember you can not kick while in midair in Deadliest Warrior.

• @a:

• If they hold shield up and you aren’t already attacking, hold F to heavy kick them in order to stun them for a free attack.

Please.
    I don’t know if it still works in vanilla, but it sure as hell doesn’t work against those fucking spartans. You can kick all you like, by the time you strike with a katana, their shield is already back up.

They need to fix this bullshit ASAP.

• Make sure it’s a heavy kick on a shield raise. Even so, the stun in DW is significantly shorter. I usually play Knight/Ninja/Pirate on this game, so usually I will have a fast enough 1h to hit them… I don’t know if Samurai is SOL on that lol.

• @a:

Make sure it’s a heavy kick on a shield raise. Even so, the stun in DW is significantly shorter. I usually play Knight/Ninja/Pirate on this game, so usually I will have a fast enough 1h to hit them… I don’t know if Samurai is SOL on that lol.

Well then it IS a problem, isn’t it?
    Or am I just supposed to suck it and play another class than the one I actually want to play?

• The shield kick stun is plenty long enough to get a hit in, when any weapon. As long as you hold f for a heavy kick, and they don’t lower their shield really quickly before it connects, they’re stunned for more than long enough to get a nice lookdown overhead into their face. My problem is the out-of-stamina knockback. It’s useless for the attacker, because all it does is give the other guy a free dodge and some free stamina, after you’ve spent time trying to drain it from him.

• Oh maybe I mixed the two up.

• Hard kick usually wins the day against shield blockers.

• @The:

Please.
    I don’t know if it still works in vanilla, but it sure as hell doesn’t work against those fucking spartans. You can kick all you like, by the time you strike with a katana, their shield is already back up.

They need to fix this bullshit ASAP.

This isn’t actually true. Regular kicks are just meant to create some space or allow your teammate to connect, but if you throw a power kick (hold the button down), it’ll stun him long enough to get free hit in. If it’s not, it’s because he lowered his shield and you connected with his chest.