So i watched some duels.

• I watched some high rank duels, like 44+
    And I see people taking turns attacking, and parrying, at least 6 times until someone gets a hit.
    Is this really how the pros do it? just take turns attacking and parrying? no other tactics, or maneuvers?
    is this the extent of the game mechanics?

• no, watch players from top clans duel.

• Unless somebody hesitates after a parry it’s pretty common that you end up “taking turns” in attacking. The most straight forward maneuvers are feints and drags to get around the opponents defenses. But once you get more comfortable you learn to see when you can hit-trade to your advantage, or side-step or otherwise avoid their attacks by footwork and counter-attacking etc. So give it a little credit at least, it’s a bit deeper than it seems at first glance.

Mind games also comes into play alot when you get better. And you start noticing how the other players are trying to play you or trick you as well.

• i was also watching this vid how these players were never fooled by feints, which left them trading parries……

• No these are public player who roleplay knights and pwincesses because they think its fun.

No feints, no drags only b0ckswings and taking turns into attacking and lookdown and rage at anyone who even dares to play the game like its meant to be played.

• No these are public player who roleplay knights and pwincesses because they think its fun.

No feints, no drags only b0ckswings and taking turns into attacking and lookdown and rage at anyone who even dares to play the game like its meant to be played.

HUEEE RANK 50 USES FEINTS HEUEEEEE WHAT A NEWB

• @chivalryinterested:

I watched some high rank duels, like 44+
    And I see people taking turns attacking, and parrying, at least 6 times until someone gets a hit.
    Is this really how the pros do it? just take turns attacking and parrying? no other tactics, or maneuvers?
    is this the extent of the game mechanics?

Was one of them Loin?

• @chivalryinterested:

I watched some high rank duels, like 44+

Considering lots of pub rank 50’s are shit at the game I don’t see how rank matters in high level, watch a match or two from a top clan (NA or EU, since aussies don’t liek feinting)

• @Sophax:

No these are public player who roleplay knights and pwincesses because they think its fun.

HUEEE RANK 50 USES FEINTS HEUEEEEE WHAT A NEWB

SOPHAX RANK 50 AND STILL NEED FEINTS, L O L.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

SOPHAX RANK 50 AND STILL NEED FEINTS, L O L.

I’m only rank 49 ! Haha jokes on you!

• Look at these feinting nubcakes. I think these random joes need to git gud and become monsters.

• Josh Morales
    2 weeks ago
    15 minute 50% guessing montage

Lmao Noh’bdy.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Josh Morales
    2 weeks ago
    15 minute 50% guessing montage

Lmao Noh’bdy.

lol but it is true. sow stab feints and combo feints……if this is how the game was meant to be played you would have about 50-100 active players (all clan players) and 2 servers.

• feint reading has always been about guessing

i feel like earlier versions of chivalry were less laggy though because i remember being able to wait longer to call feints

• @zombojoe:

feint reading has always been about guessing

i feel like earlier versions of chivalry were less laggy though because i remember being able to wait longer to call feints

I find this is only true when fighting with high ping (above 60-70) or against HWS and maa+broad. Norse feints is tricky but fully readable. I don’t do them 100% of the time but I know I can get better at it… and if everyone read everything 100% of the time there wouldn’t be any point to even feinting. Anyway, just because it hard don’t make it guess work :)

I play with sound alot, I generally don’t block until I hear the grunt noise unless it’s a very very close call in which case I may block because of pressure. Or if I’m panicking or vs a HWS I might pre-parry. But still. The fact that you can wait for the grunt and parry vs basically any weapon except hws and broadsword stabs shows it’s not guessing.

• People act like feints are readable on the forums but in game you feint them and they get hit.

Anyway, people get /way/ too caught up in duels. The game isn’t balanced around that. The combat system isn’t meant to facilitate that. Its a team game, the base version of this game is team objective. Duel servers were added months and months after the game’s release. If you try the tactics people use in duels in a normal game you’ll just get stabbed in the back while spinning wildly.

• @Sharpest:

People act like feints are readable on the forums but in game you feint them and they get hit.

Anyway, people get /way/ too caught up in duels. The game isn’t balanced around that. The combat system isn’t meant to facilitate that. Its a team game, the base version of this game is team objective. Duel servers were added months and months after the game’s release. If you try the tactics people use in duels in a normal game you’ll just get stabbed in the back while spinning wildly.

Do you also think that attacks arent blockable because you sometimes get hit? Just because feints are hard to read doesn’t make them impossible to read, or a gamble.

Lets just call the entire game a gamble then, sometimes I get hit by ripostes, sometimes drags, sometimes even normal attacks without any draging or angling or anything! Must be totally random since I can’t parry everything 100% of the time!

Damn this game, everytime somebody attacks me I just flip a coin!

• @kywild:

Do you also think that attacks arent blockable because you sometimes get hit? Just because feints are hard to read doesn’t make them impossible to read, or a gamble.

Lets just call the entire game a gamble then, sometimes I get hit by ripostes, sometimes drags, sometimes even normal attacks without any draging or angling or anything! Must be totally random since I can’t parry everything 100% of the time!

Damn this game, everytime somebody attacks me I just flip a coin!

well drags are unreadable. any weapon with a release time longer than parry duration its possible to get free unreadable hits with. Some ripostes you have to instantly block after they block your attack, and if they simply wait they can hit you when your block is down. Thats essentially unreadable and broken too. Feints are not readable.

all of those things are broken and chance based. This game is highly chance based. That isnt a terrible thing for the casual hack and slash that it is, but if people want to make it competitive - it is a terrible thing.

The core unit of interaction, 1v1 fights, are too variable for this game to be considered competitive on that level.

However, results of team v team play seem to be less variable, so it could be semi competitive in that sphere. I just dont think a game where 1v1s are highly chance based will hold long term value for players that dont want to be affiliated with a clan.

• @Sharpest:

well drags are unreadable. any weapon with a release time longer than parry duration its possible to get free unreadable hits with. Some ripostes you have to instantly block after they block your attack, and if they simply wait they can hit you when your block is down. Thats essentially unreadable and broken too. Feints are not readable.

all of those things are broken and chance based. This game is highly chance based. That isnt a terrible thing for the casual hack and slash that it is, but if people want to make it competitive - it is a terrible thing.

The core unit of interaction, 1v1 fights, are too variable for this game to be considered competitive on that level.

However, results of team v team play seem to be less variable, so it could be semi competitive in that sphere. I just dont think a game where 1v1s are highly chance based will hold long term value for players that dont want to be affiliated with a clan.

There’s a vertical and horizontal limiter on drags preventing this kind of randomness.

Wah feints. look at me guise i dont feel like getting good at the game

• @Karasu:

There’s a vertical and horizontal limiter on drags preventing this kind of randomness.

Wah feints. look at me guise i dont feel like getting good at the game

Its more like, i don’t think the game with feints is /worth/ getting good at. Because no matter how good you get any noob can run up to you, feintspam and kill you.

I dont really want to hear people with big egos on the forum arguing about how they can read 90% of feints reliably mlg420noscope. Argument has been going on forever. No you can’t. No one can.

Without feints its a system of interacting variables thats very nuanced but at its core predictable. It still requires good reaction time and spatial awareness, along with excellent judgement and knowledge of mechanics.

With feints, its just MORE random. At least you can hopefully agree with this feints increase the variability of fight outcomes and lower the skillcap.

Luckily most people dont actually feint because they realize its terrible.

And i dont think the limiter actually does much in preventing what i was talking about.