Team Objective - Map Length?

• Quick question, what’s the optimal amount of time people use as a guide when designing TO maps? If the attackers make it all the way to the last objective but defenders put up a good fight?

I guess somewhere between 30 to 40 minutes? Is an hour too long for a good map with balanced objectives? Interested in people’s thoughts.

• Had a look at all of the uncooked official TO maps and they range from 20-35 minutes. Will try to stick closer to this, but interested in people’s thoughts still. How long is too long?

• Around 30 minutes is ideal.

For me, a Team Objective map is perfect when the second-to-last objective is an even showdown between both factions, and the final objective is easier for the attacking side to end the map with some kind of “victory” feel, as they already proved their skill in the previous objectives.

• @JW:

Had a look at all of the uncooked official TO maps and they range from 20-35 minutes. Will try to stick closer to this, but interested in people’s thoughts still. How long is too long?

Yeah we don’t want to drag it out longer than 35 minutes unless the map is incredibly interesting with lots to do.

• It depends on the amount of Objectives and the overall scope of each objective.

Bonus time is awarded when an objective is completed. So if you have a long pushable after a shorter first objective, you will want to award more time.

• Andrew thx i lub ur maps

• I think about half an hour is a good length. I am working on a map currently and I think it will be closer to 40, assuming the maximum time is used. Hopefully that is not too long.

I would say that an hour is too long. I think 40 minutes is a good upper limit for any map.

• Personally, I don’t care if a map is 10mins or 2 hours, so long as it’s fun and interesting the whole time.

• Maybe another factor is the time people can spend into Chivalry.

If you want most people to play your map, I think 30mins is a good average. More precisely, between 25 and 35mins.

Also I like the idea of a map being played from the two sides. Thus, I think a 15-20 mins lenght per round is better in order to get to a 30-40mins lenght in the whole match.

“How do we want our map to be played ?” may be another question.

Chivalry got a lot of team/guild/clan/… and in my opinion, it’s a good thing to consider clan wars in the design of new maps.

• @Otreum:

Personally, I don’t care if a map is 10mins or 2 hours, so long as it’s fun and interesting the whole time.

this this
    what he said

• @MiPu:

this this
    what he said

In saying that, most people don’t have 2 hours to spare. So my preferance would be at most about 45mins.

After testing my map in the last 3 days twice, both times took about 2 hours each due to stale-mates occuring in the map, it got very painful.
    But I suppose that is not “fun and interesting”….testing generally isn’t.

• At fisrt on my map there were 3 speeds of boat’s and I had 3x20 min game time at first (because slowest were really slow)
    but as I was testing I slowly realized that I was more willing to run across all island to ride fastest boat rather than slowest
    so after all…. I changed my mind and reworked all boats to fastest and game time is 3x10 min like in stock maps
    so I hope it will be good (and yeah also for ppl who don’t have so much time to play 1 hour or more)

and times to other maps will be also according to stock maps

TD 20 min
    FFA 10 min
    LTS1 4 min (CMW standard)
    LTS2 8 min

I will have 2 LTS maps so hopefully everyone will found one that they will enjoy

but when map is good I don’t care about time just playing
    and yr map Otreum seems pretty stunning awesome so I think longer map time would not discourage me from it
    though I didn’t play it yet so soon I will join testing servers and will give you more feedback on it

• I wouldn’t join my map during testing :P Still lots of balancing to sort out, but I think that spawn timings and better placement of spawns will do the trick, simple small changes can change gameplay flow in a huge way.