UI FPS DROP

• I noticed my FPS increases by ~40 when i disable hud markers.

Also, when i look at someone and their name appears, my fps drops by 30

this bug isnt consistent though

maybe UI is the persistent fps hog?

UPDATE: CONFIRMED

Upon futher investigation i found out that the UI is indeed a FPS hog in this game and needs to be fixed

Screenshots below

HUD On | HUD Objective Markers Off** 120 FPS

HUD On | HUD Objective Markers On 72 FPS

HUD Off (Togglehud) 118 FPS

HUD On** (No Objective Markers) 99 FPS

Now, im pretty sure the first one, the Objective markers is a bug on my machine. HOWEVER the overall hud draining a good 20 fps, im pretty sure everyone has that. Please look into this torn banner, its stuff like this why people say that theres performance issues.

• i think the showhud command should do that

• showhud command does nothing anymore sadly

• How about togglehud?

• Upon futher investigation i found out that the UI is indeed a FPS hog in this game and needs to be fixed

Screenshots below

HUD On | HUD Objective Markers Off** 120 FPS

HUD On | HUD Objective Markers On 72 FPS

HUD Off (Togglehud) 118 FPS

HUD On** (No Objective Markers) 99 FPS

Now, im pretty sure the first one, the Objective markers is a bug on my machine. HOWEVER the overall hud draining a good 20 fps, im pretty sure everyone has that. Please look into this torn banner, its stuff like this why people say that theres performance issues.

• Interesting Crushed. Were you on a server or created your own game? Is there a console command to toggle this or was this a mod you have been playing with? Basically what did you do to get the HUD to turn off? Nice work though, definitely needs more investigation for sure.

• This was on a 32 (full) slot public server and the screens were made in close time window together

no mod, just ToggleHud in console and you can disable the hud, for the objective markers i used H

• I am kind of scratching my head as to the reason why the HUD would have such a drain. I remember that you could toggle the UDK default HUD but I cannot remember the command. It didnt quite work right but I remember playing with it last year. Maybe that is what the problem is in that the engine has two HUD s running at the same time and with different functions but the default UDK HUD is not visible.

If you cannot find the command to show the default HUD, I will look into it later tonight after work.

I would also test this while creating a game, that way you dont have any outside interference with player numbers effecting fps.

• they removed it i think it was showhud 6 or something like that, i remember that hud

it kind of also makes sense how the fps went down patch by patch because they kept adding hud markers / new crosshair etc etc lol

• Yeah specially if all they did was remove the ability to view the UDK HUD but didnt actually remove it or it’s functions. It could be that the UDK HUD is actually still working, doing it’s thing in the back ground but not accessible, eating CPU/GPU processing power.

I have noticed and mentioned this before that the devs have not removed unnecessary INI settings like MOBIL and XBOX. I have deleted them and have no side effects other than freeing up ram that was allocated to those settings and load times.

Instead of streamlining the game and removing unnecessary INI settings, in many cases they devs had to create AOC_ versions of what they wanted to do. The same is true for how they used the duck command and then deleted its real function in favor of an AOC_ duck version. Maybe they also piggybacked some of UDK options that the AOC versions use…. But I am speculating at this point.

Since there is no jump+crouch or crawl ability in the game, I would not be surprised.

• Crushed for Nobel Prize.

• Hold your horses, im not sure if this works for everyone, it gave me FPS thats for sure, but maybe other people dont have UI problems

• Interesting. I’ll test this out tomorrow and post my results.

• Well I’ve had terrible FPS since release, on some maps it became better though (darkforest for example). But this is interesting, would be a shame fore TB if this is true

• Huh, no wonder I haven’t had any fps problems. I literally never turn HUD markers on. I’ll try this out later.

• yes please try especially Togglehud because im sure the hud marker are just a bug i have right now, 50 fps for hud markers seems a bit extreme

im not sure if this only affects me, B4RK already told me he got a small fps boost from Togglehud

• I haven’t done any conclusive testing to confirm, but I found that setting benablesmoothframerate to FALSE would stabilize my framerate as high as possible. Enabling the setting will let me reach 120fps, but the framerate drops quite low, even at lowest settings. Disabling it will let me maintain ~90fps at most times.
    I also found that using the togglehud command to toggle the hud off would further increase my chance of maintaining 90 fps. Sometimes significantly.

Before discovering this, I played at lowest settings. Currently, I am playing at highest settings, 720p and ragdoll length 0, and I seem to be able to maintain a steady 90fps, even in 32p servers. This boggles me. Why haven’t I discovered this earlier? Could I do this all the time?

Servers still perform poorly, though.

Edit: This post probably belongs in Turd’s thread, but it’s semi-related to the UI thingy.

• I tried it on Moor TDM

no change whatso ever, it has to be HUD markers

i just tried on battlegrounds 32 player server no change whatsoever either what kind of a joke are you pulling crushed

• If it is the HUD markers, that is interesting as it is like an overlay that shows through everything. I am wondering if that is the possible cause where if it only showed within a direct line of site could possibly minimize the fps drop.

• i think if you play 1080p you wont notice alot of difference but on lower resoultions the UI is alot bigger and has alot more impact

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.