Can you add vanguard limits on FFA in classic servers?

• Getting kind of tired of being charged in the back every 2 secs, they’re worse than archers in FFA.

this is pretty much every FFA, half the server is vanguard, sometimes even worse

• So only the first 4 people to choose vanguard should have an advantage? In FFA? Free For All …
    le sigh

• Go knight with a sword of war. Enjoy all the free vanguard kills. Not hard to counter pick the most used class. With all those rotating blades of death I would pick man at arms last. Even archer with bodkin would suffice in this situation. Also anything over 16p in ffa gets messy, no matter what.

In the end no… no more limits. Limiting archers was a bad bandaid (just like the bubble), what we needed was a balance patch. Limiting vg is just… I don’t even know what to say. Out of all the classes in the game, I fear vgs least.

• That’s nice Billdoor, and thank you for the post Gauntlet, but neither post address what my problem was. I’m not looking for suggestions on which class to play, or alternatives to dealing with vanguards since there is no way to deal with charges to the back unless you constantly run away from everyone or manage to one hit everyone or just run around stabbing bloody people in the back and running on. I don’t even care about winning, I just want to play without getting charged a dozen times in a dozen seconds, and I know I’m not the only one.

If archers are limited in all game modes because being shot a bunch from a distance is annoying, the exact same logic applies to vanguards in FFA where being charged in the back over and over and over gets super annoying–the first four (or even limiting it to 6 or so) people do not get any advantage similar to how archers don’t get any advantage in any other game mode. Often, the only reason a vanguard wins in these things is because there are so many of them charging around most of the other classes (other than a knight sometimes) can’t do shit.

Yes, vanguards are not any better at fighting than any other class, and often I can take them with whatever class I’m using–even winning in 24p servers as an archer with javs and knife when there aren’t an excessive amount of vanguards running around once in a blue moon, but there’s nothing to defend against the bajillion charges to the back no matter what class you choose, being a knight just means you survive for a bit longer while getting charged in the back.

Also, le billdoor xDdDd “In FFA? Free For All …” the same free for all which limits archers? okay.jpg you totally flawed all arguments for limiting le vanguard due to unfounded semantics xDdDD

• Wow, you are an idiot. Congratulations, that will serve you well in life.
    Dedicated FFA servers don’t have class limits. You “totally flawed all arguments” that you might be worth talking to.
    All you are saying is “waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah”. Cry moar.

• Nice ad hominem attacks, they contributed to your (lack of) argument. Once again you failed to read that I am talking about Classic servers. Read: CLASSIC. It’s even in the thread title. FFA plays in classic servers, if you are unaware. The dedicated FFA servers have absolutely no place in this discussion–which it shouldn’t even be, it’s a suggestion for the server admins, which again does not need contribution from a user with inane and irrelevant points supported by aggressive insults.

Why bother posting if you are not even going to read the content? Can a forum mod clean up this thread? I’d like to wait to read from a server admin whether they will/wont add a vanguard limit to FFA in classic servers rather than posts from a user who’s baiting for an inane debate.

• Well since you dismiss the point of my first post, I feel no reason to believe you have any interest in an actual debate about the merits of your idea. Indeed, the only thing that will make you happy is to be agreed with completely that vanguards charges are such a problem. They aren’t. On any server. For that matter, neither were archers but some people cried until limits were placed on that class. Now you’ll cry about another class. Next thing you know, you’ll join a mostly full server and find only one class is open to play, whether you like it or not.
    Classic or dedicated, there shouldn’t be limits on classes in FFA.
    Anyway, enjoy crying until a mod saves you or a dev acknowledges you.

• Vanguard charges are a problem though. Because they are stupid.

• @BillDoor:

So only the first 4 people to choose vanguard should have an advantage? In FFA? Free For All …
    le sigh

@Tummeh:

If archers are limited in all game modes because being shot a bunch from a distance is annoying, the exact same logic applies to vanguards in FFA where being charged in the back over and over and over gets super annoying–the first four (or even limiting it to 6 or so) people do not get any advantage similar to how archers don’t get any advantage in any other game mode. Often, the only reason a vanguard wins in these things is because there are so many of them charging around most of the other classes (other than a knight sometimes) can’t do shit.

Why do you have such difficulty reading? It’s not a dismissal, it’s a response which adds substance to the discussion opposed to “NO I’M RIGHT”.
    To break it down for you, since I’m not sure if you just didn’t read it or didn’t understand it: It makes an analogy to the other class limit in the game, which is limited for the exact same reason I’m proposing vanguards be limited, which is due to excessively getting killed without being able to do anything due to the nature of the attack. In a single game mode where their (broken) class speciality gives them an excessively annoying style of game play I think it’s justified they receive the same treatment as archers in all other game modes. Getting attacked from behind is fair play, but if you spawn and are instantly charged by a dozen vanguards running in circles charging a good 20 ft every 2 seconds there’s not much you can do before your stamina runs out or you get hit by a janky animation or just get hit from behind.
    As long as, at least on classic servers, over half the server consistently goes vanguard, there’s almost no way for any other class to win except for a knight with a lot of luck, which doesn’t mean that the knight still isn’t annoyed by having to dodge/block/get hit by charges every 2 secs just because he can survive them.

Can you disagree with the analogy of archers receiving no advantage ergo vanguards shouldn’t? absolutely, but when you continue to post trite about crying rather than responding with relevance on merits/lack of merits of an idea it makes it hard to believe you’re not guilty of your own lack of interest in any proper discussion. Whether you think archers should have had a limit or not is irrelevant due to the fact they do have a limit, and if the logic that applies to that limit isn’t applied in other situations then I agree that all limits should be removed–Hell, personally I agree that there should be no limits, but that fact of the matter is that there is a limit in place already so I see no reason why it shouldn’t apply to another situation until a long-term fix is applied.

And I will enjoy crying more, almost as much as I enjoy your continued ad hominem attacks and slippery slope fallacies.

• Okay, so your problem is with vg charge spam. Well, more accurately, sword vanguard charge attacks. I doubt the polearm / spear charge attacks are bothering you.

If that is the point, I would rather see TB change sword charge attack into a vertical overhand leaping strike instead of a wide sweeping horizontal slash it is right now. There have been balancing discussions about sword charging being changed, since it’s obvious many people do not enjoy the constant charge spam when multiple sword vgs appear in one arena. If the attack was changed from a sweeping horizontal into a vertical slash, vanguard charge spam would disappear almost immediately as the risk of missing would be much greater.

Also it would be a huge plus for sword vanguards since the current charge attack is nearly useless in competitive due to the high likelihood of hitting your teammates for 100% team damage. An overhand strike would also make headshots more likely, increasing the chance of lethal damage on your target. Overall, I only see pluses for changing the charge attack from horizontal into a vertical slash.

something akin to this at 1:23 in the video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBXcIM-SvJw

Limiting a class is a horrible idea outside of competitive gameplay formats. Public play should be free form fun. I’m still waiting on TB to make some balance changes to the archer and remove the limit on them.

• I completely agree with you, and that is a great suggestion for fixing the charge Gauntlet!