Random thought on parry. partial parry/hit

• This is just my mind on coffee, but I have been seriously thinking about this for the past few weeks.
    I was thinking about how things are either a hit or a miss, there is nothing in between, you either get hit, or you parry.
    But what about a partial parry for in between? In reality ( yes I’m playing the reality card) this is not always the case, you might only partially deflect an attack, and have it slide over your weapon, and hit you for a glancing blow or what have you, you only slowed the attack down a bit.
    So instead of having this thin line between a successful parry, or a missed parry there could be some middle ground,
    where an attack does partial damage.
    This goes for blocking with shield too.

Thoughts?

• No no no no no no no

• oh yes yes yes yes yes!
    (I couldn’t find the Brad pitt meme to go with this =/)

Would you prefer this paper thin line between parrying and getting hit? Very realistic -.-

• I don’t want anything that is chancy put into the game, it’s a struggle having any competitive community at all without this.

• omfg I never said anything about chance FFS dont put words into my mouth plz

• @chivalryinterested:

omfg I never said anything about chance FFS dont put words into my mouth plz

Half parries such competitive.

Next CS:GO should make half-headshots.

Because sometimes you don’t hit the head dead on.

• @chivalryinterested:

oh yes yes yes yes yes!
    (I couldn’t find the Brad pitt meme to go with this =/)

Would you prefer this paper thin line between parrying and getting hit? Very realistic -.-

You don’t balance a game off of realism, so I agree with flippy.

• @chivalryinterested:

This is just my mind on coffee, but I have been seriously thinking about this for the past few weeks.
    I was thinking about how things are either a hit or a miss, there is nothing in between, you either get hit, or you parry.
    But what about a partial parry for in between? In reality ( yes I’m playing the reality card) this is not always the case, you might only partially deflect an attack, and have it slide over your weapon, and hit you for a glancing blow or what have you, you only slowed the attack down a bit.
    So instead of having this thin line between a successful parry, or a missed parry there could be some middle ground,
    where an attack does partial damage.
    This goes for blocking with shield too.

Thoughts?

• So what decides whether or not you get a half parry or full parry?

I still don’t like it even if it isn’t chance.

• Random thought from a random joe.

• @Edmund:

Random thought from a random joe.

• @Flippy:

Half parries such competitive.

Next CS:GO should make half-headshots.

Because sometimes you don’t hit the head dead on.

OP is suffering from a half headshot. That was rude.

• Next we will have situations where players will neither be dead or alive, something in between.

• Fuck it, introduce a zombie modification into the game. Have weird green dead guys fire lazers through their eyes, this state is triggered when you get half dead. every time you die

• I don’t understand how this would work. If it is a percentage chance that you will take some reduced damage from a good parry then of course it is a bad idea. If you miss your parry though you should take full damage… So I don’t see where this would be implemented. The only thing I can really think of is a shield passively blocking but then why are you taking any damage if the shield can now passively block?

• The idea in itself is sweet imho. Glancing blows and all sorts of more complicated outcomes (chambering?). But current engine would not work well with all those complicated and precise calculations. It struggles now. Besides it is waaay to late for changes like that. So it’s “NO” for me.

Chiv 2: Medieval Warfare Evolved could have all sorts of physics based swings, IK procedural animations, real armor effect and what not. I wish it could be true ^^

• I guess I’ll be the only person to agree with OP.

It should be based off of how early in the parry you are or how far away your parry is from the attack.

The reason why it should be implemented is because I can stun people when they run out of stamina be half a second too late to notice it and attack at the very last microsecond of the animation and they still parry it, despite them not even starting the parry animation let alone getting out of the stun animation.

And for half parrying while the weapon is too far too away from the parry is for those moments when you’re playing as a vanguard when you’re behind an enemy that’s attacking a team mate in front of him if you use lmb and he parries at the right time they’re able to parry your attack without even facing you.

I just think it’d be good to punish people for these sorts of things, although it may buff feints. And nobody wants that.

• @Ciastooh:

The idea in itself is sweet imho. Glancing blows and all sorts of more complicated outcomes (chambering?). But current engine would not work well with all those complicated and precise calculations. It struggles now. Besides it is waaay to late for changes like that. So it’s “NO” for me.

Chiv 2: Medieval Warfare Evolved could have all sorts of physics based swings, IK procedural animations, real armor effect and what not. I wish it could be true ^^

Jesus christ when will you people realize that game mechanics based off of realism do not justify them making an appearance in the game. Having swings only deal half damage is absurd, as there is no real way to calculate it at all, and a successful hit should be successful regardless. Chambering is different as it has some things to add to the game besides just realism.

• @Huggles:

Jesus christ when will you people realize that game mechanics based off of realism do not justify them making an appearance in the game. Having swings only deal half damage is absurd, as there is no real way to calculate it at all, and a successful hit should be successful regardless. Chambering is different as it has some things to add to the game besides just realism.

Now I really know you haven’t played Deadliest Warrior a lot. There’s already variable swing damage in it, I’m sure they can evolve the system in later games and include more damage variables.

Besides, Dwarf fortress has an insane damage scale. It isn’t unfeasible that other developers such as TB can do something even a quarter as good as it.

• No, but I wouldn’t mind if archers took damage from parrying large weapons with their tiny daggers. Or even got stunned after parrying a maul or such. It would encourage them to stay out of range (like archers are supposed to be) and not go around pretending they’re a man-at-arms.