Best weapon in chivalry?

• What is the most powerful weapon in chivalry? So far I have narrowed it down between viking spear, sarissa, halberd and naginata

• Viking spear for sure.

That thing was clearly hella OP as soon as it got the ability to combo, but DW never got the balance patch it needed.

• This is why I would like to bring spear combos to MW. I want rapid fire brandistocks everywhere

• @Albatross8:

This is why I would like to bring spear combos to MW. I want rapid fire brandistocks everywhere

Get outta here and take your stupid with you.

• viking spear no doubt about it!

• @Oy:

Get outta here and take your stupid with you.

It ain’t stupid if it’s anserine.

• @SlyGoat:

Viking spear for sure.

That thing was clearly hella OP as soon as it got the ability to combo, but DW never got the balance patch it needed.

Was ever Deadliest Warrior something Torn Banner took seriously? least that never occured to me.

• Sarissa definitely the best weapon. Mix in some feints and good range play and no one can stop you. Best teamplay weapon hands down.

• @Scubasteve04:

What is the most powerful weapon in chivalry? So far I have narrowed it down between viking spear, sarissa, halberd and naginata

All those weapons need to be taken out the game if they’re not going to get balanced. Pole weapons are for namby pamby little bitches and overshadow everything that requires skill and thought. -_-

They’re not even good on their own merits. It’s just the cluster fuck nature of the game and how abusable they are in group combat. Like OG halberd spam on MW in FFA in the Arena level cluster fuck.

Throws target switching out the window when fighting teams using them. All you need is a couple teamates on samurai/knights/viking/spartans using them and they dominate because people can’t get close. Even when the first one fails horribly and misses, you get skewered by the next person and so on.

They’re all around cheap feeling, but not really OP. I agree with sly though, viking spear is the absolute worst, but it’s because of the follow up speed on the stab and the knock back it has when parrying. Tends to knock you out of your striking range, but keep you in theirs for a cheap follow up that knocks you back even further if you parry.

@Gauntlet:

Sarissa definitely the best weapon. Mix in some feints and good range play and no one can stop you. Best teamplay weapon hands down.

Anyone who feints with these weapons should be drawn and quartered… but not before being castrated.

• The Dory. One shots anyone with a throw and has extreme range, speed, damage, can combo, comes with a shield and can be picked up. It’s by far the best weapon. Followed by Bo staff, Viking spear, naginata, and halberd.

• Asking for a definitive “best” weapon is a little Call of Dutyish. It always depends on circumstance; How many enemies are there, what are they playing as, do you have any team mates, what map/game mode is it, what is your favorite play style, are you warming up or already in the zone, etc, etc. I’ll list some of my favorite setups though.

Samurai:
    I tend to enjoy the Spiky Club with a Katana or Yumi bow for backup, but occasionally take a Naginata for 1v2 or 1v3.

Spartan:
    I almost always just go Dory and Falcata, basic set up, but short spears are fun to chuck at people sometimes.

Viking:
    Rarely do I dual-wield, although it is quite effective. I usually take a Dane Axe and a War Hammer, open up with a shield toss and an axe throw, and swing my hammer around till I find my shield and axe. Rinse and Repeat.

Knight:
    SoW is an obvious choice, Polehammer feels really nice, and Flanged Mace is almost unbeatable. Halberd, like the Naginata, is mostly for group fights where I need long, draggy swings to keep people at bay as I target switch. I almost never take crossbow, usually pick a shield as a secondary even if I have a 2-handed primary: it still works if you turn away from arrows and point your back at them. Knight shield also blocks the most damage from Pirate guns, Spartan shield in comparison takes massive damage from a close range blunderbuss even if it’s mostly blocked.

Ninja:
    Ninjato is the most pure Ninja weapon, but my usual loadout is Claws and Shurikens. I’m pretty effective with the claws, but they’re pretty garbage for 1v2, more of an overwhelming weapon if there’s only 1 enemy. They’re fuckin quick and vicious, and if you time and aim your combos right, you can cut down a Knight in 3 seconds before he can even get a parry in.

Pirate:
    Probably my favorite class, this is the trolliest shit there is. Whether it’s a Blunderbuss or a Pistol, a Boarding Axe or a Cutlass, Saber or Shank, I’m a tough fuckin Pirate to deal with. It’s a fun class to play, and you know that you’re having more fun than those 9 guys in a row that you snuck up on and shanked to death, or delivered a point-blank Blunderbuss to the head. Plus you can break off mid-fight and chug some rum, replenishing most of your hp instantly.

TL;DR - Some setups are better focused on certain other setups or situations, but these are the general setups I rock %90 of the time, and they’re pretty consistently effective.

• Naginata is overpowered, and is an absolute force multiplier. It’s animations are incredibly weird, the timing on reposte thrust is incredibly quick, it’s super easy to drag, it does way too much damage, and it’s both insanely effective 1v1, and 1v10

Viking Spear is overpowered, and is a force multiplier. I despise Vikings that simply thrust spam with their annoying pushback. Granted it’s not really hard to beat, it’s definitely annoying, and in the right hands it’s downright overpowered.

Mace is annoying. It’s drag capabilities are ridiculous for how easy it is to use. If a Knight cannot magically go around my shield with a Mace, then I can only assume their mouse doesn’t work, and that they’re aiming with a small wedge of cheese. I’d say Poleaxe/haliberd is OP, but every knight on the planet would get angry with me for saying that.

Bo Staff is borderline overpowered if used properly. Nothing like qwerky flinch-worthy animations, and lovely insta-thrusts.

Most of them I don’t mind, but Naginata Samurai gain no merit or respect from me for being able to thrust/LMB with that ridiculously laggy animation.

• The nagi could take a slight nerf, if only to make the Samurai spear relevant, and the riposte speed is definitely questionable, but not necessarily overpowered.

I think the viking spear is pretty objectively OP, but only needs a small nudge to put it back into the “borderline OP, but acceptable with proper skill” section.

Mace is actually objectively broken, as the mace stab/punch is far faster than it should be. This isn’t reflective of the rest of the weapon, but most people don’t abuse it, so it’s not really much of an issue. Where I really disagree with you is the poleaxe/halberd. Shocking, I know, coming from a knight who mains halberd, but given the counters available with weapons like the hatchet, tekko kagi, shank, sarissa, naginata, wakizashi, mace (not using the stab exploit), and the ability to easily out-feint a halberd due to the block speed and windup time, I think it’s definitely a god-tier weapon, but when you’ve got a polearm of equal/greater length or a weapon that’s much, much faster, it really comes more down to skill. I don’t use the poleaxe at all, but I would like to hear your reasoning for it being OP. Personally, I think it’s a piece of crap, more by design than anything. Can’t really think of a way to improve it without buffing it to being OP or just straight removing either the mace or the halberd, neither of which are desirable.

Bo staff seems fine where it is, and I can at least respect ninjas for knowing how to use the bloody thing. God knows I can’t.

Balance issues aside, I’d have to agree with you on the weapons I find used most often and effectively, with the minor addition of a good pirate wielding the pistol. There’s not a single weapon that isn’t good in the right hands, but being able to snipe from across the map with such precision is definitely a game changer if the guy knows how. Really respect good pirates.

• @Xann:

The nagi could take a slight nerf, if only to make the Samurai spear relevant, and the riposte speed is definitely questionable, but not necessarily overpowered.

I think the viking spear is pretty objectively OP, but only needs a small nudge to put it back into the “borderline OP, but acceptable with proper skill” section.

Mace is actually objectively broken, as the mace stab/punch is far faster than it should be. This isn’t reflective of the rest of the weapon, but most people don’t abuse it, so it’s not really much of an issue. Where I really disagree with you is the poleaxe/halberd. Shocking, I know, coming from a knight who mains halberd, but given the counters available with weapons like the hatchet, tekko kagi, shank, sarissa, naginata, wakizashi, mace (not using the stab exploit), and the ability to easily out-feint a halberd due to the block speed and windup time, I think it’s definitely a god-tier weapon, but when you’ve got a polearm of equal/greater length or a weapon that’s much, much faster, it really comes more down to skill. I don’t use the poleaxe at all, but I would like to hear your reasoning for it being OP. Personally, I think it’s a piece of crap, more by design than anything. Can’t really think of a way to improve it without buffing it to being OP or just straight removing either the mace or the halberd, neither of which are desirable.

Bo staff seems fine where it is, and I can at least respect ninjas for knowing how to use the bloody thing. God knows I can’t.

Balance issues aside, I’d have to agree with you on the weapons I find used most often and effectively, with the minor addition of a good pirate wielding the pistol. There’s not a single weapon that isn’t good in the right hands, but being able to snipe from across the map with such precision is definitely a game changer if the guy knows how. Really respect good pirates.

Poleaxe to me, is borderline overpowered, simply because of it’s speed/damage and it’s hitbox. It is waaaaay too easy for a skilled Poleaxe knight to obliterate a Ninja/Pirate. The swing on it is so ridiculous, I will often get hit after going entirely around him thinking I dodged it. The reposte is also very disproportionate to the rest of the weapon’s speed, most skilled Poleaxe knights can get away with just reposte/delayed thrust, because I almost immediately have to parry expecting that lightning fast reposte.

As for Haliberd, I would like them to just change the animation and speed a bit, it’s annoying to have to deal with if you’re playing on mobility.

Bo Staff is one of my strongest weapons as Ninja, it is absolutely broken. Why? Because I utilize my feints well with Bo Staff. The feints, if used properly, are almost impossible to read. Hell I can feint people out just by tapping the block button on it. They need to fix the animations so they aren’t so qwerky.

Also, a skilled Pirate with Pistol is almost impossible to beat. Blunderbuss Pirates are a dime a dozen, and only work in large numbers, however a Pirate that is good with Cutlass/Shank who just pulls out a pistol and instantly shoots you, terrifying.

Also, Naginata/Kanabo are probably the only things I see on Samurai, because they’re easy mode, and all you have to do is swing/thrust to stack up kills. I would like to see Wakizashi and Katana get a buff to damage, and the Naginata get a speed nerf. The Kanabo needs to take more stamina to swing or something, not quite sure how I’d effectively nerf that.

• @TheMightyAltroll:

Blunderbuss Pirates are a dime a dozen, and only work in large numbers, however a Pirate that is good with Cutlass/Shank who just pulls out a pistol and instantly shoots you, terrifying.

Also, Naginata/Kanabo are probably the only things I see on Samurai, because they’re easy mode, and all you have to do is swing/thrust to stack up kills. I would like to see Wakizashi and Katana get a buff to damage, and the Naginata get a speed nerf. The Kanabo needs to take more stamina to swing or something, not quite sure how I’d effectively nerf that.

Ok, wakizashi does not need a buff. It’s already lightning fast and does decent damage. And the Kanabo takes some skill to use effectively, especially in group fights, granted it is an easy lmb weapon for noobs. But maybe you should just learn to parry?

Also, a pirate that sneaks up on you in lts and blows your head off with a close-range blunderbuss, or shanks you then shotguns you, MUCH more frightening man. That’s how I role. But most people ask how I get such accurate pistol shots with all the shot variation. My technique is to crouch-shoot and it’s a dead fucker in your crosshairs.

• I agree with the wakizashi not needing a buff. It’s fine, just incredibly situational. The one time I saw White Vodka use it, (best samurai I’m aware of) it was a bloodbath. Nobody’d ever seen it used to any decent effect before, so the poor sod had no idea how to combat it. Viking went down in seconds.

Nagi could definitely do with a speed nerf, or at least a buff to the yari. Thing is completely irrelevant so long as the nagi is almost objectively better. Katana is in an okay place, and I still see plenty of Sams run it with the yumi or the nagi. Kanabo is kinda weird in that it feels too strong, but not so much that you can just kinda make it worse without upsetting the balance. Maybe an increased drag penalty, so you can’t twoshot people at the end of swings?

• Yeah the Wakizashi is a niche weapon for skilled players, like shank or boarding axe, or ninja claws. Thrusting dagger in MW is also along those lines. Hard to use effectively but very powerful nonetheless if you know what you’re doing. The only really unbalanced weapons in DW that I can think of are Sarissa for its bullshit factor, Skaggox for the same reason, Naginata for being a superior Halberd, Flanged Mace for basically being the Holy Water Sprinkler of DW, and maybe the Warhammer and shield for Viking, just because of the thrown ability lol. All-in-all, DW is pretty well balanced, and was better balanced than even MW for a long while.

• Ok seriously whats the difference between halberd and naginata? I have used both and they seem identical to me.

• Not sure on the exact figures, granted they must be similar. I just find Naginata better for some reason, dunno.

• @Scubasteve04:

Ok seriously whats the difference between halberd and naginata? I have used both and they seem identical to me.

Halberd Knight here with considerable nagi experience. Basically, where the halberd is built around dragging and occasional thrust spam, the naginata is much more suited to more direct frontal attacks and more consistent drag stabs. It’s got lower damage and higher speed, which allows it to compete more with faster weapons like the tekko kagi and shank, meaning you don’t have to carry a faster secondary to be able to have a response to everything, usually freeing up space for the yumi or, if there’s a powerful knight/viking/enemy sam, the katana/kanabo.

tl;dr: The Naginata is the Halberd’s spritely, more adaptable cousin, which trades damage and drag potential for speed and maneuverability.