Promoting Face to Face (chivalrous?) Combat

• Suggestion: To give a minor detterance for sneaky assasinations and to reward head to head dueling, I suggest the following.

1: Don’t give credit for, or only partial credit, for kills made when your opponent doesn’t see you. If you are not in their field of vision during their life in which you kill them, you don’t get typical scoreboard/achievement credit for the kill. Either none, or a smaller amount than would be given for killing an opponent that sees you first. Possibly make this a server option, so that you could have “chivalrous” servers as well as “backstabber” servers.

2. Create more vulnerable hitboxes on the front side of the player model, ie the neck area exposed below the helmet, and so on.

Note that this would likely only be applied to melee kills. Archers could still get credit for shooting somebody from behind without them being spotted first, perhaps with a minimum distance requirement to be from behind an opponent.

-CoP

• What happened to all is fair in love and war?

• We are honorable Knights!

• No?

Unbalanced and unrealistic due to:

The back usually being the most vulnerable part of a knight. If you do this heavily armoured knights will be by far the most OP class, giving all lighter classes no hope what so ever. You are also taking gameplay away from a portion of players that enjoy sneaking around the map with light weapons. No one just wants to see everyone being forced to go heavy knights with big two handed weapons because if they don’t they just die due to the other classes being terrible in comparison.

• I doubt it would have such a detrimental impact on class balance if these were implemented, but I still prefer the game not include them. Getting stabbed in the back is what SHOULD happen to the less-than-observant players. If you want to duel, find an empty server and invite a friend.

• I don’t really care if i hit my enemy in the face or in the back of the head with my flail. As long as they die and i live.

• There is nothing chivalrous about melee combat between two massed forces. Once the battles lines clash there is no chivalry. It’s about survival. And when you’re in survival mode you don’t give a crap about honor. It’s your life or theirs. Why do you think they had to come up with “codes of chivalry” for outside of combat? Survivors of battles generally weren’t the nicest men afterwards. If you read about what happened in Jerusalem once the crusaders got inside the walls…

• Ok then, perhaps a mere point bonus.

• Anywhere from regular to total no-no IMO.
    In AoC, the skilled players are divided from the newbies in multiple things, including situational awareness. Lighter classes such as the MAA are perfect for this: Sneak around the enemy, and stab them in the back. GOOD players will see you coming and try to defend themselves, while bad players just whine that their two handed heavy hammer in the hands of an armoured tank isn’t beating a light ADHD class with a broadsword. Also teamplay works way better when you outflank your enemy (Have one teammate in front of the enemy and one behind, have the person not being faced by the enemy take stabs and the other just block… :D)

Even if it were implemented, people could easily troll ingame by just turning their back on their opponent just as they think they’re going to get killed.

• I’m a massive fan of man-to-man fighting, even though it may be unrealistic, so I would like it if the game emphasizes personal combat. However, I don’t think adding rather unlogical penalties to backstabbing or sneaking is the way to go. The game should have a number of mechanics that simply make sneaking/backstabbing not too effective. Getting around your opponents would be time-consuming, and the classes that are good at stealth (fast and not too loud) should have weapons that are uncapable of killing an opponent in a single blow, so the opponent has a chance to fight back after the initial hit. Also, the game should simply lack any intended stealth mechanics or stealth options for classes. This way, sneaking can still be effective, but it would be a move of opportunism, not a playing style one can focus on. You wouldn’t decide before you join the server “Today, I’m going to backstab people”, because that would be massively inefficient, but if you see the opportunity, the game shouldn’t penalize you for grabbing it.

Chivalry will definitely need a proper duel mode, by the way.

• @gB:

There is nothing chivalrous about melee combat between two massed forces. Once the battles lines clash there is no chivalry. It’s about survival. And when you’re in survival mode you don’t give a crap about honor. It’s your life or theirs. Why do you think they had to come up with “codes of chivalry” for outside of combat? Survivors of battles generally weren’t the nicest men afterwards. If you read about what happened in Jerusalem once the crusaders got inside the walls…

That’s exactly what i was thinking, these two factions the Mason order and the Agatha Knights Hate each other, they want to rip each other to shreds no matter how they do it. So i think the backstabbing penalty would kind of go against the rivalry of the mason and the Agatha knights.