Why aren't my feints smooth?

• I was looking at this video and I noticed how easily readable all the feints were. I play with 120 FPS but the feints on my screen look nothing like this. For me it’s almost as if the feints are skipping a few frames, but here it looks pretty smooth. I can’t really explain it any better than that…

Is there a setting that affects this?

• The feints aren’t any easier to read. They just seem easier since you’re just watching the fight and not actually fighting.

• @Flippy:

The feints aren’t any easier to read. They just seem easier since you’re just watching the fight and not actually fighting.

No, they actually are easier to read in the video, trust me. I would try to record some proof to make it clearer what I’m trying to say but my FPS drops a bunch if I record anything. I tried turning vsync back on, we’ll see if that fixes anything. FPS is locked to 60 now though. :/

• The FPS reported from the game engine does not necessarily mean your monitor is displaying 120fps. Your monitor may be refreshing 120 times/second but it may not be displaying 120 different frames.

• Also they look like normal feints that I see at 40fps. Most of those feints were flash feints, super easy to ‘read’ ie if you don’t panic and parry at the first twitch you will see it was a feint, so you have ‘read’ them. At any rate, that seems normal for 40fps and up.

Are you a victim of delayed visual latency, were what your monitor is displaying is 66+ms out?

• @Toll:

Also they look like normal feints that I see at 40fps. Most of those feints were flash feints, super easy to ‘read’ ie if you don’t panic and parry at the first twitch you will see it was a feint, so you have ‘read’ them. At any rate, that seems normal for 40fps and up

they were late ms feints , though

• This thread is now about those amazing 2h sword animations. Omg those got me so wet

• RIP old anims 2014 ;___;

• I have to agree those animations are so much better. Did their original animator leave, or why couldn’t they create as smooth animations for the new camera position? Maeks no sense.

• @Monsteri:

I have to agree those animations are so much better. Did their original animator leave, or why couldn’t they create as smooth animations for the new camera position? Maeks no sense.

In beta 1 of the animation patch they tested old anims with the new camera. They claimed they were awful. Recently someone uploaded a vid of that beta 1 patch and they looked just fine to me. So I dunno. New anims are still shit.

• @Jon:

it’s almost as if the feints are skipping a few frames, but here it looks pretty smooth.
    Is there a setting that affects this?

As far as 3p animations, higher tick rate helps with that. I’ve noticed that my fps is 60+ but it feels like all the 3p animations are playing in 30 or less.

• @Karasu:

In beta 1 of the animation patch they tested old anims with the new camera. They claimed they were awful. Recently someone uploaded a vid of that beta 1 patch and they looked just fine to me. So I dunno. New anims are still shit.

That was me, in fact. Couldn’t they have simply moved the animations further back so that they wouldn’t clip so much? Along with the camera? Maybe it would’ve given 1p animations some phantom range, idk.

• @Jon:

I tried turning vsync back on, we’ll see if that fixes anything. FPS is locked to 60 now though. :/

120 fps with 60hz monitor

top feints m8

• @Kreittis:

120 fps with 60hz monitor

top feints m8

muh smooth placebo

• Its all bout FPS and Hz.

Unlock your FPS to get 120, you need to turn of vsync to do that and probably lower your graphics/resolution. The game is way more smoother and enjoyable.

• RIP perfect animation, RIP perfect camera, RIP readable sword.

• @Edmund:

RIP perfect animation, RIP perfect camera, RIP readable sword.

This is so true

• Did they change the sword animations?

• @Flippy:

The feints aren’t any easier to read. They just seem easier since you’re just watching the fight and not actually fighting.

This.

Jon, you’re probably watching this video thinking ha why did he parry I saw that feint…but if you were there you would likely have already have pressed rmb by the time you saw it. Unless you think you’re better than these guys at feint reading.

• I’m definitely not better at reading feints. I can confidently say I’m actually one of the worst rank 40+ players tbh, but some of these feints in the video looked easily readable. They’re also staying quite a distance away from each other. Why isn’t anyone feinting at facehug range? Whenever I go on duel servers, people get as close as possible and start doing ridiculous feints that would throw anyone off…

Anyways, thanks for the few reasonable replies. I had unlocked my framerate before to get to 120 because someone on the forums said it’s better, even if your monitor isn’t 120hz. But after playing with 60 fps for a bit, I don’t see any difference. It’s just the same. Which also means that 120 fps on actual 120hz monitors must be different.

Also, what’s a tick rate?

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.