[WIP] Fortification Contest - Irilla

• We finally managed to wrap everything up and we are happy to release our beta version of the map. We tried to release a polished and complete map and we are very happy with the current state of this huge project. Be aware though: one or two small bugs might have slipped past testing stages that we dont know about yet, even with our amazing testers (Yarnu and others <3) that helped us shape this map and helped us provide a hopefully fun and somewhat bug free map.

Unfortunately we couldn’t finish LTS & TDM versions due to the timelimit and last minute emergency fixes. Theres a few issues we know about (Dungeon Gate stuck spot, 1 out of the 3 Trebuchets has no hud marker) that we could not fix due to holidays/work, however these are rather minor problems, luckily.

I would like to thank all the testers and helpers of this map, you guys are awesome!

You can find the map on the workshop here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=282595555

Make sure you delete all older files of Irilla before downloading or else you will get package issues.

Feedback is appreciated as always!

Screenshots

Lore

The siege of Irilla, Masons response to the raid on Malrics mansion which ultimately lead into his captivity. After the Mason generals found out about Malrics location, massive armys started marching towards Irilla. This battle is important for both factions, Agatha is at risk losing their most important cities with lots of weapon forgery and supply shipment trade and the control over the coast, while the Masons are at risk losing their high king Malric and big armys. Malric is being guarded by the council of 9 agathian high lords. To sum it up, it is a brutal battle of pointy sticks.

Credits

Massive
    Crushed
    Elwebbaro
    Mjalnar

Big thanks to Yarnu, Zombojoe and Bark for helping me out. Seriously, someone give yarnu a special hat for his efforts in this custom map community.

–----------------------------------------------------- Old stuff–

Objectives in Detail

Heres the objectives and the 3 different routes explained:

The Breach (Trebuchet selection)

1st Objective: Masons have to use their trebuchets and manually shoot them to bring the wall down.

2nd Objective: The Sabotage. Agathians have recently gotten a big shipment of weaponry. Masons have to get into the market district & raid it. Masons have to assault 2 horse carts & a weapon forgery. Each horse cart has a trader + his guards that the masons have to kill. Masons have to sabotage/burn the weapon forgery. Agatha needs to stop masons from doing so. This area is a bit more “open” (think of stoneshill 1st objective).

3rd Objective: Masons have to get into the keep of the city & rescue malric. He is chained up by huge chains made of agathian steel & a mechanism that the masons have to break. Agatha has to stop them from accomplishing this. If masons fail, there will be a cutscene of malrics execution. Masons can also capture a flag in the keep courtyard, to get a better forward spawn and have less walk distance.

The Ram (Battering Ram selection)

**1st Objective: **Masons have to push a battering Ram to the front gates of the city. After the first gate, there is another gate in the front keep. Agatha has to stop them. Very close quarter combat.

2nd Objective: The Sabotage. Agathians have recently gotten a big shipment of weaponry. Masons have to get into the market district & raid it. Masons have to assault 2 horse carts & a weapon forgery. Each horse cart has a trader + his guards that the masons have to kill. Masons have to sabotage/burn the weapon forgery. Agatha needs to stop masons from doing so. This area is a bit more “open” (think of stoneshill 1st objective).

3rd Objective: Masons have to get into the keep of the city & rescue malric. He is chained up by huge chains made of agathian steel & a mechanism that the masons have to break. Agatha has to stop them from accomplishing this. If masons fail, there will be a cutscene of malrics execution. Masons can also capture a flag in the keep courtyard, to get a better forward spawn and have less walk distance.

**As you see, similar to the Breach route, just the first objective is different and the second objective is being approached from a different direction.

**The Towers (Siegetowers selection)

1st Objective: Masons have to push one of two siege towers to the wall, Agathians can jump down the walls and try to stop them / delay them. Once one of the two siegetowers reaches the wall, the Masons have to break a big gate that opens the path to the Docks. Agatha has to defend.

2nd Objective: Masons have to assault & sabotage the Docks. They have to burn shipments of weaponry in warehouses & destroy the supports holding an Agathian war ship being under construction. Once the supports are broken, the ship drops off the cliff into the water with a nice explosion. Agatha has to stop them.

3rd Objective: Same as above, but this time the masons dont attack from the front, but instead trough the dungeons of the keep. Masons have to get into the keep of the city & rescue malric. He is chained up by huge chains made of agathian steel & a mechanism that the masons have to break. Agatha has to stop them from accomplishing this. If masons fail, there will be a cutscene of malrics execution. Masons can also capture a flag in the keep courtyard, to get a better forward spawn and have less walk distance.

On the last note i should add, Malric on the last stage is being guarded by the Agathian council, 9 agathian lords, these NPCs are no joke**

Credits

-Massive
    -Crushed
    -Hussar

Honorary mention to elwebbaro

Workshop Link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=282595555

• Looks amazing.

Inb4 too complicated. HUEE

• Looking nice. I’ll have to check out how it plays and get some feedback to you.

• Damn. We have a winner.

• Where are the PIGS!?!?

• Looks really nice :D
    I wish I had the time for any maps, I haven’t even been able to test my own online much, let alone all the other awesome maps people have made :P
    This is one to keep my eye on, it is looking really nice :)

• and our full back story……

Agatha have suffered some set backs what with the loss of the Grail Castle, and the outcome of their raids on the Wolf’s Lair still in the balance. Their fortunes have taken a turn however with the rumors of Malrjic himself infiltrating the city of Irilla to contact sets of traitorous outlaws within the city itself.

Some say that entering the city where the Agathian Council of Nine have their seat of power was pure folly on the part of Malric, and a risk that went bad, as he was captured mere hours after entering Irilla. It is thought that Malric was in the city to plan the disruption of Agathian arms production, as this city produces large quantities of high quality weapons which are used to supply the Agathian armies, shipped out through the docks.

Malric has been awaiting public execution in the dungeons under the keep, and will soon be put to death. The Council of Nine are drawing up the proclamation to denounce the Mason Order, list its crimes and those of Malric, hopefully a list added to from his ‘willing confessions’ whist a guest in the dungeons.

Malric’s Captains however, have not been idle and have managed to gather enough troops and supplies for a last ditch, all or nothing assault on Irilla. History will say that their plan is daring and brilliant; if they succeed. If they fail, well, then the Mason order and its foolish rebellion will soon be forgotten.

As it stands, they have a chance, first they must besiege the city walls but must choose their assault tactics well, they have enough resources to attempt to breach the walls, to launch a ram assualt on the barbican entrance or fight on the walls themselves by using siege towers.

In the unlikely event that the Masons enter such a formidable city, they plan to complete what Malric could not, that is disrupt the weapon production and supply from the city, either by destroying the docks or destroying the armory and transport near the market square. The Masons will try to destroy this too if given the chance. The Masons must be beware however this is no village of peasants and some of the of the citizens of this city may offer resistance to their presence.

Even if this second stage of the Mason captains’ plan is successful, they will still have to breach the imposing inner keep and take on the Council of Nine themselves, and then, if its not too late, rescue Malric from his execution.

• Some nice looking scenes in there.

• TB better start taking notes.

• Really nice!
    The voting system sounds interesting. Maybe difficult to balance, but i like the idea!

• @KingJoff:

Really nice!
    The voting system sounds interesting. Maybe difficult to balance, but i like the idea!

Thanks! Heres the objectives and the 3 different routes explained:

The Breach (Trebuchet selection)

1st Objective: The Masons have built Trebuchets to siege the city. The trebuchets are being operated & reloaded by NPC soldiers. The masons have to defend these soldiers from the agathians rushing out of the castle. On perfect Mason defense (no NPC soldier dies), the trebuchets will make a big hole in the castle wall after 2 minutes. Agathians can slow this process down by killing the NPC soldiers. When NPC soldier dies, he gets replaced, but when too many of them die, agatha can finish them off and win the round.

After the breach in the wall, the masons have to rush in and break a barricade to get from the dirty peasant district into the merchant district.

The Ram (Battering Ram selection)

**1st Objective: **Masons have to push a battering Ram to the front gates of the city. After the first gate, there is another gate in the front keep. Agatha has to stop them. Very close quarter combat.

**As you see, similar to the Breach route, just the first objective is different and the second objective is being approached from a different direction.

**The Towers (Siegetowers selection)

1st Objective: Masons have to push one of two siege towers to the wall, Agathians can jump down the walls and try to stop them / delay them. Once one of the two siegetowers reaches the wall, the Masons have to break a big gate that opens the path to the Docks. Agatha has to defend.

2nd Objective: Masons have to assault & sabotage the Docks. They have to burn shipments of weaponry in warehouses & destroy the supports holding an Agathian war ship being under construction. Once the supports are broken, the ship drops off the cliff into the water with a nice explosion. Agatha has to stop them.

3rd Objective: Same as above, but this time the masons dont attack from the front, but instead trough the dungeons of the keep. Masons have to get into the keep of the city & rescue malric. He is chained up by huge chains made of agathian steel & a mechanism that the masons have to break. Agatha has to stop them from accomplishing this. If masons fail, there will be a cutscene of malrics execution. Masons can also capture a flag in the keep courtyard, to get a better forward spawn and have less walk distance.

On the last note i should add, Malric on the last stage is being guarded by the Agathian council, 9 agathian lords, these NPCs are no joke

Edit: Updated a few things

• Holy crap, this sounds epic! Cannot wait to play it guys.

• #1 place for sure.

• Fucking hyped! Mainly for pigs & horses, but that amazing level concept also seems interesting.

Hypothetical question: Let’s say I’m a casual, will the objective transitions be clear enough for me to mindlessly get a grip of where to go every time I play?

• @B4RK:

Hypothetical question: Let’s say I’m a casual, will the objective transitions be clear enough for me to mindlessly get a grip of where to go every time I play?

Yes the map will dynamically change depending on the objective path that gets choosen… so the areas from the other paths will be blocked off, the objectives itself are mostly very linear and simple to understand, no dead ends or confusing stuff

• @CRUSHED:

Yes the map will dynamically change depending on the objective path that gets choosen… so the areas from the other paths will be blocked off, the objectives itself are mostly very linear and simple to understand, no dead ends or confusing stuff

@rumpelstiltskin:

#1 place for sure.

Congratulations!

• Lol, its going to be very tough with the big competition we have :) But i guess you like the idea!

• @CRUSHED:

So crushed promises - but hes not the one who has to write the blo**dy kismet for it :-))) But yes - playability for casual players and advanced is the goal…

• Great job Massive,

It’s a great idea to have the voting system at the beginning of the map, its like making 3 maps at once!

Hope to be able to play it soon :)

Hennio]

• Haha Massive. Yeah, scripting a branching map I think would be fun, albeit a lot of work. Making the map is one thing, making it all work is a whole different story. The scripting is like the glue that holds the map together, without it, it’s just a pretty picture. I wanted to do a branching path for my map, but when I started, I had no idea of how to use anything in UDK, and wasn’t sure it was feasible. I’m excited to see a map that is putting the idea into practice! Randomization, branching paths etc, it’s what creates replay value, and i’m all for it :)