Tl;dr Chiv 2 mechanics ideas

• Preface: We all know none of this will ever happen, and a lot of it probably shouldn’t. Just posting this for fun editing a tl;dr post I made elsewhere. I think there’s some room to expand upon Chivalry’s depth for a sequel or whatever. HTK = Hits to kill (e.g. Longsword needs 4 HTK, 3 if you headshot them with overhead)

Here are some ideas:

• Deadliest Warrior’s damage system. Accelerated and decelerated attack timings deal a little less damage (require one more HTK in general, often times retaining same HTK if headshot or weapon is particularly strong), attacks that hit during an “apex” timing deals optimal damage (same as right now).

• Note: HTK means hit-to-kill requirement (e.g. SoW has 3 HTK when you use stabs against knights, 2 HTK versus Vanguard).

Across the board, maybe a slight and dynamic feint damage nerf. The later you feint, the less damage your next attack within the next 0.5 second will deal, up to ~10 less damage depending on weapon (e.g. for Sword of War, let’s have it scale per weapon). So, depending on what weapon is used, a guy that is hit by late feint(s) -> attack may be able to take one more HTK than a guy who just got hit by normal attacks.

Scenario: Three SoW stabs will kill a Knight, maybe even two normal stabs and one feint -> stab will kill a Knight, but two feint -> stabs and one normal stab will leave the guy living with like 5 hp or so. If you had them panic parry with a super quick feint, your incoming punishment attack will deal basically full damage. Perhaps adjust the numbers so that a feint->stab + 2 normal stabs will kill a Knight (typically 3 stabs to kill a knight) but a feint->stab + stab will leave a Vanguard with 1-9 hp depending on timing (typically 2 stabs to kill a Vanguard). I think stuff like that would make weapons a lot more dynamic and less “by the numbers”.

The damage penalty should be different amongst the weapons, especially with 1-handers in mind. Make the damage reduction extremely negligible (something like 3 less damage on latest possible feint) on very readable weapons like Grand Mace, Zweihander, Maul, etc. so that their HTK remains the same and thus not really affected by this change. On the other hand, a feint with HWS guarantees an additional HTK requirement, but three feints are required to guarantee two extra HTKs. However, all this is ignored with headshots (two paragraphs below).**

Headshots** ignore feint damage penalties, so the feinter will have to choose between aiming for the headshot and possibly getting the attack evaded by a sidestep or just go for the easy LMB hit that may require one more HTK to finish off his opponent. Feints will still be just as useful as they are now without any complete mechanic overhauls.

• Exaggerate parry distance knockback depending on your stance. Parrying while holding back should gain you more distance than parrying while holding forward. Different attacks from the same weapon knockback different distances. Crouch parries should barely nudge you. Right now, it feels kind of random. Sometimes, I even see players being pulled IN from parries. Is there some sort of hidden mechanic I’m missing in CMW?

• With more consistent parry knockbacks, nerf the parry/buckler and heater shields’ vertical hitbox but buff max-mouse look sensitivity while defending yourself! So for this, players will have to actually aim upwards for jump stabs and downwards for leg sweep LMBs. If they want an easier parry, they can always crouch-parry so they only have to look for medium/high attacks rather than low/medium/high. However, tying in with the last idea, this means they will barely move an inch after parrying while crouching, which may not be so desirable as a spear user or someone going against a facehugging HWS spammer.

• Perhaps make leg attacks deal even less damage if we bring along the more difficult parry/blocks. Leg attacks should mean you now HAVE to go for a headshot to retain the same HTK or go for an additional HTK.

• Concerning ranged combat… I watched TotalBiscuit’s video on Chivalry vs War of the Roses recently. I really liked how the ranged combat looked in War of the Roses. WotR’s arrows have a certain timing “window” before they’re shot where the archer is most focused and his arrows will deal maximum damage. That window only lasts a short time before the archer’s grip is flimsy and weak. This forces an archer to either shoot fast and weak (make it do no flinch to melee), time his attack perfectly for the perfect shot (most damage and flinches like it does right now, but he is at great risk from counter-archers and possibly miss easy shots/opportunities), or shoot too late and have the same problem as shooting too early (no flinch and reduced damage). Maybe this would make archers a lot less annoying for melee as you would be able to read when an archer has “primed” his arrow and begin to weave and dance in that short period of time. Meanwhile, this combat element would make archery more difficult and thus more rewarding and make the class feel less “cheap”. However, retain headshots doing flinches and a lot of damage regardless of release timing. Crossbows wouldn’t have this mechanic… not sure how we would nerf them, maybe just increase reload times even more?

• A lot of people have suggested mounted combat for a Chivalry sequel. I’m not sure how I feel about that, feels like it would just create a new divide of “cavalry vs ground melee vs archers” as opposed to only between “ground melee vs archers”. Chivalry feels like it should just be ground combat, much like how Counter-Strike doesn’t have Battlefield helicopters and jeeps and tanks (unless you’re playing some whacky maps like as_crazytank). Then again, Chivalry does like to promote its siege weaponry…

• And then there’s stuff that should be a given like cleaner animations, better coding and netcode, kicks actually hitting, etc.

• Matchmaking: 1v1 3-round bo5-per-round duel matchmaking would be pretty neat, as would ranked 2v2 and 3v3, Chiv 2 may or may not be too small for competitive 5v5s, maybe it can be added in a future patch if the game sells and retains a lot of players).

I think these changes would give the game a lot more depth for 1v1s while still retaining what makes it a great game for TO and teamplay. Defense would generally be even harder, but you’ll likely be able to take an extra hit. Weird stuff like matrixing, reverse overheads, and 360 yolo swings/overheads should definitely carry on to the successor; they really add a lot of depth and diversity to gameplay. Perhaps they wouldn’t look as silly with refined visuals.

–-

Bring on the flames and rustled jimmies.

• Do not ever use DW’s damage system. Interesting idea, but just annoying in practice.

Honestly, the mechanics are pretty much perfect, in my opinion. Just needs some polishing.

• @a:

• Deadliest Warrior’s damage system. Accelerated and decelerated attack timings deal a little less damage (require one more HTK in general, often times retaining same HTK if headshot or weapon is particularly strong), attacks that hit during an “apex” timing deals optimal damage (same as right now).

• Slight feint damage nerf, no nerf to any other feint timing, window, or mechanic. The later you feint, the less damage your next attack within the next 0.5 second will deal, up to ~10 less damage (e.g. for Sword of War, let’s have it scale per weapon). So, a guy hit with late feint -> attack will ideally often be able to take one more HTK than a guy who just got hit by normal attacks. Three SoW stabs will kill a guy, maybe even two normal stabs and one feint -> stab will kill a guy, but two feint -> stabs and one normal stab will leave the guy living with like 5 hp or so. If you had them panic parry with a super quick feint, your incoming punishment attack will deal basically full damage. Headshots ignore feint damage penalties, so the feinter will have to choose between aiming for the headshot and possibly getting the attack evaded by a sidestep or just go for the easy LMB hit that will require one more HTK. Feints will still be just as useful as they are now without any weird timing nerfs.

• Exaggerate parry distance knockback depending on your stance. Parrying while holding back should gain you more distance than parrying while holding forward. Different attacks from the same weapon knockback different distances. Crouch parries should barely nudge you. Right now, it feels kind of random. Sometimes, I even see players being pulled IN from parries. Is there some sort of hidden mechanic I’m missing in CMW?

• Perhaps make leg attacks deal even less damage if we bring along the more difficult parry/blocks. Leg attacks should mean you now HAVE to go for a headshot to retain the same HTK or go for an additional HTK.

• And then there’s stuff that should be a given like cleaner animations, better coding and netcode, kicks actually hitting, etc.

-What Chimpy said.

-Sounds good. Feints could be a finishing move instead of something to rely on.

-Almost none or no knockback would be best imo. One of the uses of parrying/blocking is to get close to an enemy. So, why should the defender get punished for successfully defending by being pushed away? It’s just something that gives the attacker(especially vanguards) an edge when they have done nothing to deserve it. It also slows down combat.

-Maybe.

-Of course.

Edit: nerf archers

• @a:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkuZXuAbDvc&t=1m07s

Have you prayed to the Archer Gods today? Repent! Do away with the evil of melee! spread the word