Server Qualities - What do people prefer in TO? (Few questions!)

• Hi,
    A few of us have pitched together and started opening some servers, FFA Duels, TO etc,
    However, I’m wondering what the people prefer in a TO server - so I can match the audience I’m aiming for.
    Currently the server is doing great, but I’ve got a few questions.

1. Our team damage is at 100% - do you prefer this as it requires you to be more precise, or would you prefer a lower percentage?
    2. The server is 1P only - I personally find 3P a huge advantage in TO situations - would you prefer 1P + 3P?
    3. Custom Maps - Would you join a server with custom maps? I’m looking to add the 1st round winners. But personally I feel the different coloured name draws people away.
    4. Map Rotation - is there any map you wont join, or would leave if it came to that map? What is it and why?
    5. Archer Limits - are these viable? Would you leave a 24 slot server if it only allowed 2 archers per team?
    6. Rank Limits - Do you look for rank limits when joining a server? If so - what do you feel is a good rank limit and why?
    7. Finally, what personally draws you into a TO server? the amount of players? the map rotation? because you had a great experience on that server?

Hopefully I can get a few positive answers back so I can improve upcoming and existing servers!
    Thanks in advance

• This post is deleted!

• Team damage at 100%, well I find decent players won’t be doing much td regardless, and bad players just don’t care, so 100% will just mean more tks.

1p only.

Map rotation, I personally don’t have any trouble with any maps but some players have trouble with fps issues on coldfront and citadel.

Archers limits are good IMO.

No rank limits, can’t afford to split up the community when it’s this small.

• no archers

• For TO I am fine with the 100% team damage and everything. Archer limits are AWESOME. As for rank limits at least rank 15+. Leave out those two new TO maps. No custom maps. The only thing that draws me to a TO server is that it is the only active server. I don’t really like TO much anymore.

1. Don’t like 100% team damage, think about a real fight, you don’t think someone will pull their punch when they see their weapon swinging at an ally? It’s not something you can do in the game, there is only a certain amount of precision, and control that you have VS what you can do in the real world. Also sometimes you need to kick allies out of your way when they block doors.
    2. Let people choose their own FFS, Nazi.
    3. Custom maps in any game are kind of dodgy ( did I really use that word? ) you don’t know what garbage you are going to end up with, or if it is a fair map. But I suppose if the custom maps are well tested, and actually good, ( and not a huge download ) than sure! the more maps the better!
    4. Moor is kind of stale, and I don’t like battlefield, too dark, and wayyyyy too much running.
    5. Yes, archer limits! 2 seems a bit low though.
    6. Don’t really see a reason to have rank limits, as long as the teams are fair, can’t have rank 16’s fighting against rank 50s
    7. All of that, decent amount of players ( although sometimes I don’t mind a smaller game) map rotation, and experience there, and good ping of course.

• Can a mod merge these threads?

• like how my post got deleted. Guess I didn’t give the opinion you wanted.
    is it because I’m noob? My opinions will remain even after 10000 hours.

• @chivalryinterested:

like how my post got deleted. Guess I didn’t give the opinion you wanted.
    is it because I’m noob? My opinions will remain even after 10000 hours.

It’s in this thread m8
    http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/20239-Server-Qualities-What-do-people-prefer-in-TO-(Few-questions!)?p=237832#post237832

• @chivalryinterested:

Don’t like 100% team damage, think about a real fight, you don’t think someone will pull their punch when they see their weapon swinging at an ally? It’s not something you can do in the game, there is only a certain amount of precision, and control that you have VS what you can do in the real world. Also sometimes you need to kick allies out of your way when they block doors.

Are you saying that high team damage is unavoidable?

@chivalryinterested:

Moor is kind of stale, and I don’t like battlefield, too dark, and wayyyyy too much running.

Moor isn’t a TO map.

@chivalryinterested:

Don’t really see a reason to have rank limits, as long as the teams are fair, can’t have rank 16’s fighting against rank 50s

Why not? As long as one team isn’t completely stacked I don’t see a problem with low and high ranks being in the same server.

• Our team damage is at 100% - do you prefer this as it requires you to be more precise, or would you prefer a lower percentage?
    No, keep it 100%. Same rules should apply for your enemies and teammates.
    The server is 1P only - I personally find 3P a huge advantage in TO situations - would you prefer 1P + 3P?
    1P only, 3P is for groundsniffers
    Custom Maps - Would you join a server with custom maps? I’m looking to add the 1st round winners. But personally I feel the different coloured name draws people away.
    I don’t mind as long as they’re decent.
    Map Rotation - is there any map you wont join, or would leave if it came to that map? What is it and why?
    Darkforest and Stoneshill are my favourite maps - well balanced and good fps. I dislike Citadel, Outpost and that other new map because they are FPS heavy and objectives are poor (kill NPCs or runaway with king)
    Archer Limits - are these viable? Would you leave a 24 slot server if it only allowed 2 archers per team?
    2 archer limit on 24 server would make me only come back to that server everyday.
    Rank Limits - Do you look for rank limits when joining a server? If so - what do you feel is a good rank limit and why?
    No. Rank limits are unnecessary.
    Finally, what personally draws you into a TO server? the amount of players? the map rotation? because you had a great experience on that server?
    Gotta be 24p, TO only and good ping.

Is your server The Two Trees or something like that? Great server most def.

• TO only
    100% FF + ff flinch (can’t be done atm… me sad)
    1st person only
    2 archers max (or less atm), rank 10+ (doesn’t have to be)
    24p max
    yes to custom maps, no to coldfront (atm)

Do it and be praised and worshipped just as our lord (Lord Skynipple)

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Our team damage is at 100% - do you prefer this as it requires you to be more precise, or would you prefer a lower percentage?
    No, keep it 100%. Same rules should apply for your enemies and teammates.
    The server is 1P only - I personally find 3P a huge advantage in TO situations - would you prefer 1P + 3P?
    1P only, 3P is for groundsniffers
    Custom Maps - Would you join a server with custom maps? I’m looking to add the 1st round winners. But personally I feel the different coloured name draws people away.
    I don’t mind as long as they’re decent.
    Map Rotation - is there any map you wont join, or would leave if it came to that map? What is it and why?
    Darkforest and Stoneshill are my favourite maps - well balanced and good fps. I dislike Citadel, Outpost and that other new map because they are FPS heavy and objectives are poor (kill NPCs or runaway with king)
    Archer Limits - are these viable? Would you leave a 24 slot server if it only allowed 2 archers per team?
    2 archer limit on 24 server would make me only come back to that server everyday.
    Rank Limits - Do you look for rank limits when joining a server? If so - what do you feel is a good rank limit and why?
    No. Rank limits are unnecessary.
    Finally, what personally draws you into a TO server? the amount of players? the map rotation? because you had a great experience on that server?
    Gotta be 24p, TO only and good ping.

I have the same opinion as this guy.

• I wouldn’t do custom maps unless they are the top 3 contenders to win the contest.

1st person only is good.

In general its got to be low ping and populated to get going. TO only is best.

• Thanks for all the input!

I’ve lowered the team damage to 50% for now - keeping an archer limit of two, and I’ve removed Coldfront due to the horrible optimisation.

It is indeed! Give me a shout in-game and I’ll be sure to decapitate you a few times ;)

• Mod

Higher tickrate would be cool.

1. 50%. 100 is just sadistic, and realistically there will be a lot of noobs and a ton of tking.
    2. 1st person is best perspective. Cuts down on noob draggers that rely on 360 view as well.
    3. If it RARELY went to custom maps. Like ONLY ONE on its rotation. N
    4. The two new TO maps citadel. Hillside
      5 TO sucks with a ton of archers. They suck the fun out of the game.
    5. NO rank limits.
    6. Good moderation.

• team dammage 50% if no minimum rank

1p only since 3rd person gives a huge advantage imo (played it a lot myself)

no custom maps except the ones from the contest if they are any good and also take coldfront and the other new map out of the rotation since they are bs atm. keep them available for a vote change though.

4 archer limit is fine, any more and they will become a pain in the ass for both teams (less people by your side when fighting) most archers in pubs cant even arch anyway.

if the server would be a 100% FF server id say a minimum rank of 15 is required if not then no min or max rank.

24p only since 32 is just gangraping, lagging crap. good overall pings.

EDIT: I’d like to see a server with a vanguard limit, not because they are OP but they are the biggest teamkillers.

• Map rotation : Darkforest,stoneshill,outpost,darkforest,hillside,battlegrounds

24 slot, 1 archer per team, 100% team damage, 128 tickrate, no minimum rank, 1st person only & give me admin password

• don’t forget fov 110 locked server can do that

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.