How to parry side-stabs?

• I just can’t figure it out. Whenever I’m against a vanguard, they do this weird stabdrag with their stick-weapon that hits me in the side. I know they’re doing it, of course, so I naturally look slightly to my left (or right, depending which side they’re dragging it to) and parry. Still goes through.

Help?

• with right click

• @CRUSHED:

with right click

PRO TIPS EXXXPOSED !!!

• @CRUSHED:

with right click

As expected, I’m not going to get any real advice here. You’re just adding to the retarded portion of this community.

• @Edmund:

PRO TIPS EXXXPOSED !!!

CRUSHED HAS DISCOVERED A NEW WAY OF BLOCKING SIDE STABS - COMPETITIVE PLAYERS HATE HIM

• rumpel beat me to it hahah

• Which pole weapon? Sounds like a brandi thrust? For that you just turn to whichever side they’re dragging it, wait a bit cuz it’s slow, then sprint towards it while parrying and leaning into it.

It shouldn’t take this much effort to block these swings though. I barely have to turn or do any of that most of the time.

• @Karasu:

Which pole weapon? Sounds like a brandi thrust? For that you just turn to whichever side they’re dragging it, wait a bit cuz it’s slow, then sprint towards it while parrying and leaning into it.

It shouldn’t take this much effort to block these swings though. I barely have to turn or do any of that most of the time.

Thanks for making a comment that actually gives advice…

I’ll try this the next time someone does it. It wasn’t a brandi, it looked more like a billhook or a bardi.

• @Jon:

Thanks for making a comment that actually gives advice…

I’ll try this the next time someone does it. It wasn’t a brandi, it looked more like a billhook or a bardi.

Same thing then except you won’t have to wait as long. They’re not nearly as slow as the brandi thrust.

• Also, watch out for z-stabs if you’re having trouble blocking regular side stabs.

• Mod

A good tip that’s helped me a lot is to back up at an angle (S+D or S+A), that way they have to stab one side and should make parrying it a lot more consistent.

• Yeah, you’re parrying too early.

• A good tip that’s helped me a lot is to back up at an angle (S+D or S+A), that way they have to stab one side and should make parrying it a lot more consistent.

To elaborate on that, by backing up at an angle, preferably in the direction that brings you the furthest away from your opponent, it forces them to have to chase you with their drag, this an really help you narrow down where you parry.

For instance if you stand in front of them and just back peddle or stand still, they can do a zig-zag drag and potentially hit you on either side of the body (plus above and below).

• Imagine the signpost is a MaA or zweihanderguard trying to stab drag through your parry.
    http://a.pomf.se/vggiks.webm
    As said previously it also helps to backpedal at an angle while doing this and it makes it a lot easier. Sorry for the bitrate, too lazy to raise it.
    Crouching isn’t really necessary unless they’re facehugging you, though.

• Yo what’s a Z-Stab?

• brotip: Lean slightly backwards and backpedal. Son, u mirin my parries?

• @Fritzthedog:

Yo what’s a Z-Stab?

When people facehug you and stab side to side with a 2h sword, most commonly SoW.

• Yeah, it was quite potent prior to the current patch, I’ve notice it is less useful now, alt-attacks in general are less useful.

• Hold S, keep the opponents body in the center of your screen, parry when necessary. They can’t stab around you with a 2h if you are always facing them and have somewhat of a distance between you.

• fast kick if they get too close, last thing you want is a Z stab.