"Instant" hit after lookdown riposte with fast weapons

• Fighting fast weapons has become a nightmare as of lately. I’m constantly scared of not seeing the animations or their super fast riposte. I used to be able to respond to crouch and crouch/lookdown overheads much better but now I’m at a loss.

Could anybody explain to me what is going on in the video below? I don’t know if I’m being handle-hit, if it’s framerate or internet issues or what the hell.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FircMBnREu0

After 0:35 I put 2 riposte attacks side by side with different speeds to compare them. On the right, I get hit. On the left, I parry. What was weird is WHERE the parry connects in the left frame. It looks as if I was parrying the SoW’s handle, and in both I never get to really see the tip of their weapon even if I’m looking up.

Perhaps I’m reacting too slowly? Aiming at the wrong place?
    Is it simply a matter of weapon balance? I know I’m fighting faster weapons, but damn, I feel like these exchanges are broken.

Edit with a few more details:

• My ping is usually 35-40, his is 60-65 ms.
    • I’ve ran Chiv at 120 fps for over 6 months with no noticeable issues (with the FPS uncap tweak). My display has a refresh rate of 60 hz and I haven’t changed any hardware.
    • I have no idea why Youtube messes with the brightness of my vid

• I can parry quick ripostes from all weapons just fine. Every other player I know of can parry them just fine as well. Pretty sure you just need to get used to the speed.

• Probably something to be said about this. It’s not really the speed cuz it’s honestly not that fast. When you slow it down though you can really see a problem. The player parries, goes back to rest, and then hits you with some poorly animated abbreviated overhead. They could probably improve the anims and make it so the player doesn’t go back to rest in between parrying and riposting.

Whether some players find this easy to parry or not, these animations are just unnecessarily poor.

• I’ve noticed some riposte timings are inconsistent.

For instance sometimes a stab riposte with a weapon that would be normally super fast, is not always that speed. Sometimes it feels like 0.3 seconds it lands after i parry, sometimes it feels like 0.5 or more.

Anyone feel like testing for this possible bug?

• @NoVaLombardia:

I’ve noticed some riposte timings are inconsistent.

For instance sometimes a stab riposte with a weapon that would be normally super fast, is not always that speed. Sometimes it feels like 0.3 seconds it lands after i parry, sometimes it feels like 0.5 or more.

I feel like this happens to me when I riposte. Sometimes my overhead riposte will hang in front of my face for a bit before it decides to continue with the animation, sometimes it plays instantly. I don’t know if it’s lag or just the animations not playing properly or what. Maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about, but it looks strange when it happens.

• @Karasu:

and then hits you with some poorly animated abbreviated overhead.

Exactly. I’m probably expecting a few more “familiar” frames in the opponent’s animation when dealing with accelerated attacks, especially those of fast weapons.

@Knifelegs:

I feel like this happens to me when I riposte. Sometimes my overhead riposte will hang in front of my face for a bit before it decides to continue with the animation, sometimes it plays instantly. I don’t know if it’s lag or just the animations not playing properly or what. Maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about, but it looks strange when it happens.

I think this has to do with the vertical speed cap TB applied in patch 26. You have to look down “more smoothly” (less twitchy) to actually launch it faster.

Maybe I was expecting that after that same patch, lookdowns OHs could never hit me so fast.

• With 90-100 ping you take hit before the anim properly plays.

• @NoVaLombardia:

I’ve noticed some riposte timings are inconsistent.

I can also confirm this as happening very consistently. Should be reproduceable every time once you figure out what causes it.

• Mod

@wildwulfy:

With 90-100 ping you take hit before the anim properly plays.

That’s how the game is for me. It’s a real headache…

• @Flippy:

I can parry quick ripostes from all weapons just fine. Every other player I know of can parry them just fine as well. Pretty sure you just need to get used to the speed.

The op has no clue of the elitist misleading TB. These are real problems for real players on pubs. Just because they
    don’t spend 100000000 hours duelling and play 24/7 at some stupid high fov were you see every tiny movement in advance.
    Perhaps its time TB did not listen to the elitist fodder that has made the game the error free problems don’t exist game we
    have today … . I have mentioned this instant kill overhead rubbish for months. Basically what you elitists are equals to
    super fan boi’s. Did you see that film called number one fan. de niro. I note some of them have started trolling the
    steam forums now saying basically nothing is wrong with the game in every post and reply. You disgusting elitist
    fan boi trolls need to step back and get out of TB’s dark passage’s. Let the normal people tell TB how it really is.

• There was no elitism in this thread. You take your meds today babe?

• @loin:

lies!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2f-MZ2HRHQ

Were is my coffee and donut ? hmmmn

Dude in fucking murica, at 1 AM, I could legit go and get a baker’s dozen of any donuts I want along with gallons of coffee.

THE FREEDOM. SUCH POWER

• I thought baker’s dozens weren’t a thing anymore.

• But are they instant overhead donuts hmmm )

• Well I bought a dozen the other day and they gave me 13 soooooooooooo maybe? =]

• @Karasu:

Well I bought a dozen the other day and they gave me 13 soooooooooooo maybe? =]

13 donuts? Please tell me you ate them all in one sitting.

Because if you didn’t, you aren’t a true 'Murican.

• tbh it looks like either framerate or ping is partially at fault here.

I do know the second riposte that hit you was a shoulder hit where its coming down from an angle, hitting the top/back of your right shoulder/shoulderblade. The others are a little less obvious where it simply looks like you aren’t reacting fast enough, or one/both of you are lagging.

one of the issues that I’ve found even coming from my own end is that the knockback+positional desynching+shoulder hits make for some really fucked up looking ripostes that simply do not animate correctly. Especially when you can get the knockback to kick you to someones side, instead of straight back.

all of this is also much worse to deal with when you take latency into account.

• I’m not sure, but that last riposte you managed to parry did look a little longer, looked like it was a minor desynch though.

Personally I don’t have any trouble parrying sow ripostes, long as I concentrate, no doubt I’m being elitist by saying this :s

• If your ping is above 60 you gonna see a lot of bullshit like this.