Pirce

• will the price on steam be the same as it is now from the pre order page? thanks

• Yep. Ordering from our webpage gives more of the profit to us.

• Thanks for saying, I was going to buy on steam because it’s generally quicker and hassle free, but now I’ll purchase through your page.

• @DirtyHoudini:

Thanks for saying, I was going to buy on steam because it’s generally quicker and hassle free, but now I’ll purchase through your page.

If I recall correctly, Steam takes one of the biggest profit cuts out of any of the major digital-distributors. This is a major groin-kick to small developers like Torn Banner. Good on you for buying it directly.

• @Goden:

@DirtyHoudini:

Thanks for saying, I was going to buy on steam because it’s generally quicker and hassle free, but now I’ll purchase through your page.

If I recall correctly, Steam takes one of the biggest profit cuts out of any of the major digital-distributors. This is a major groin-kick to small developers like Torn Banner. Good on you for buying it directly.

You recall incorrectly.

Steam actually takes the smallest cut, as outlined by Tripwire Interactive, a mod studio with roots like Torn Banner. They said Steam also offers full support on all games on their service to the developers and will actually offer up members of their team to help the developers of said game, which no other digital distributor does.

Can see a debate about this:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/07/randy … re-than-i/
    http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/13/tripw … nds-steam/

“So, is Valve exploiting independent developers?” Gibson wrote. “In short: absolutely not. Without pulling any punches, I can say with certainty that if it weren’t for Steam, there would be no Tripwire Interactive right now.” He praised Valve’s contract, calling it “the first one we had seen that didn’t have any land mines in it.”

More importantly, Gibson also praised just how paid he has gotten from Steam. “Ask the Tripwire Interactive employees if they feel exploited,” he said, “as they move into their new offices paid for by the money the company has made on Steam. Or me, as I drive away from the company that was built from the royalties we made on Steam, in my sports car paid for by the royalties we make on Steam, to the home that I pay for with the royalties we make on Steam” – where he has the option to eat vegetables bought with royalties made on Steam, and then steamed.

Gibson admits that the situation does represent a potential conflict of interest for Valve, but, “What really matters is how they have handled this conflict of interest. In our experience Valve has handled it very well; other companies, not so well.”

In the early days, when we were shopping our first game Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 around to traditional brick-and-mortar publishers, we were shocked at how terrible their proposals were. We were getting pitched offers like, “We’ll give you a 15 percent royalty rate, take the IP rights to your game, and slap a $1.5 million administrative fee on top of your recoupment costs.” And deals like this were being offered for a game we funded ourselves!

When we got the contract from Valve, we were amazed at how much better the deal was from what we were getting from the standard publishers. Even our lawyer was surprised at how straightforward the contract was. Many game publishing contracts are full of “gotchas,” or what we at Tripwire Interactive call “land mines” -– little fine print clauses that, if you overlook them, could blow up in your face later. Valve’s contract was the first one we had seen that didn’t have any land mines in it.

Randy’s statements suggest that small developers are getting ripped off through their royalty rates. Without breaking any non-disclosure agreements, let me just say that our royalty deal was great, and is in line with what I understand that other digital distribution services are offering. We were able to recoup our development costs for our first game within the first week of sales, and sales were straight profit from that point on.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i … H02IYZcbUI

• @Andrew:

Yep. Ordering from our webpage gives more of the profit to us.

Ok thanks can’t wait to play!

• bought the 4* bundle from Torn Banner direct

£12 per copy is rather good i feel

Plus, it means i can harrass my friends into playing the game with me, lol

• @skippermonkey:

bought the 4* bundle from Torn Banner direct

£12 per copy is rather good i feel

Plus, it means i can harrass my friends into playing the game with me, lol

Yeah, haha. That’s what I’m kinda thinking of doing too. ;)

• I personally think steam is amazing for those who are independant ( I dont wish to say indie because every hipster on earth does) It helps gets their game out there better then they could on their own. I barely knew what M&B was when i first bought it as it wasnt on steam, then its on steam it blows up with a community

• @nyuyu:

I personally think steam is amazing for those who are independant ( I dont wish to say indie because every hipster on earth does) It helps gets their game out there better then they could on their own. I barely knew what M&B was when i first bought it as it wasnt on steam, then its on steam it blows up with a community

M&B had a huge community before Steam, but Steam certainly helped make it even larger.

• @Mkilbride:

@nyuyu:

I personally think steam is amazing for those who are independant ( I dont wish to say indie because every hipster on earth does) It helps gets their game out there better then they could on their own. I barely knew what M&B was when i first bought it as it wasnt on steam, then its on steam it blows up with a community

M&B had a huge community before Steam, but Steam certainly helped make it even larger.

thats true , I also cant wait for m&b3 but i also hope it stays true to its roots…

• M&B2, you mean.

And true to it’s roots, I’m curious as to what you mean.

The original was made by a husband & wife, Warband with some friends, and With Fire & Sword not by them at all.

Not sure exactly what you mean, but they still still have mod support they’ve said.