Corpse Bubbles

• You know the situation; some nimble enemy has weaved deep into your lines and is now surrounded by your team, everyone rushes in weapons ready and…. murders the shit out of each other. It’s obvious why of course: if the person were alive when you hit you’d have collided with the bubble and stopped moving forward, but now he’s dead so you lurch into the void created by his departing… soul? I guess? and your attack goes long.

Even if you’re the one who was right to swing and got the kill you still end up with a face full of friendly metal and possibly damaging your own team through no fault of your own. What should have been a glorious pile on is now a tangled mess of hurt feelings and recriminations.

The solution, or at least a partial one: Leave the collision bubble on for a split second during death animations, or until the corpse ragdolls. That way everyone can pile on the newly departed, hacking bits off without hitting each other (as much), or at least until someone clubs the torso into the dust and everyone mashes together as before. But it’d fix that initial clash at least.

• “Hi, I am awesome at the game and I never make mistakes. You’re both a fool and an idiot for doing so, and/or playing with people that do. You should be like me and then the game would be fine.”

Just wanted to get that out of the way early so we can move on to the constructive stuff.

• Like, not being a git or anything…

Surely all you need to do to avoid this happening is… not RAM your “W” key as hard as you can until pressed against the enemies body before attacking in these situations and - keep your distance as you swing :P.

Fairly sure you only need to connect with the tip, and its always safer when theres several teammates already ganking someone to keep back and land any attacks at the very end of your reach - not SPRINTING FOWARD DESPERATE FOR DA KILL.

I really dont think its a problem that deserves any attention tbh lol

• Probly a good suggestion. I don’t see any problems with it and it makes sense considering the current mechanics. If there’s like 4 people all trying to kill one guy though then they shouldn’t be surprised when there’s team damage.

• @Triumphant:

Like, not being a git or anything…

Surely all you need to do to avoid this happening is… not RAM your “W” key as hard as you can until pressed against the enemies body before attacking in these situations and - keep your distance as you swing :P.

Fairly sure you only need to connect with the tip, and its always safer when theres several teammates already ganking someone to keep back and land any attacks at the very end of your reach - not SPRINTING FOWARD DESPERATE FOR DA KILL.

I really dont think its a problem that deserves any attention tbh lol

This would be the ideal solution yes, unfortunately I do not control the habits of the entire Chivalry playerbase, at least not since Sandra Bullock broke my mind control satellite with her meddling gravity.

I’ll get you next time, Bullock.

• hah - tbf i can agree that it seems like a decent enough measure to prevent those goons who hold W and spam wildly from damaging everyone else.

• I only like the idea because it makes sense with the rest of the game mechanics. If you don’t like getting team damaged in these situations, then it’s your own damn fault for taking part in some stupid unnecessary 4v1. Should be low priority though. It wouldn’t have a huge impact either way on comp play.

• I think it would be a nice addition, but also I find it funny when people team kill each other when I’m surrounded. I’m torn.

• Would improve pub play quite a bit to be fair. I actually like the idea of easily being able to mess up in comp play, makes things more… tense I guess. And, good teams really won’t be having this problem much anyway + if it scares people into 4v1ing you, the more power to you in your vain attempt to clutch.

• Global Moderator

No it’ll happen regardless.

A fun thing to do is get yourself surrounded then duck and see how many of them teamkill each other. That’s with the bubble. Try it yourself.

• Great Chiv moment #273
    Surrounded on all sides; somehow survived one two hour shield stun, duck swing, duck swing, just know another one will be fatal, duck swing, duck, gonna take some of these bastards with me, time for full turtle, duck, duck, duck. That’s me dead; now how many will join me? Eyes fixed top right.

Please don’t take these moments away.

• @lemonater47:

No it’ll happen regardless.

A fun thing to do is get yourself surrounded then duck and see how many of them teamkill each other. That’s with the bubble. Try it yourself.

Very much something done while alive. This doesn’t change that at all.

• @Karasu:

I only like the idea because it makes sense with the rest of the game mechanics. If you don’t like getting team damaged in these situations, then it’s your own damn fault for taking part in some stupid unnecessary 4v1. Should be low priority though. It wouldn’t have a huge impact either way on comp play.

It’s ridiculous when everyone goes flying after 1 lone guy, all desperate to get the kill, hacking each other apart as they ignore the objective. When will they learn. I try not to get involved in these situations OP and neither should you.

Edit: No idea where this came from but I just thought players should have a magnet on their heads that activates when they are about to strike a team-mate: instant death from their own weapon.

• I have to say I really dislike the idea. When a player dies, he should no longer have any impact on the game.

• @McLumberjack:

You know the situation; some nimble enemy has weaved deep into your lines and is now surrounded by your team, everyone rushes in weapons ready and…. murders the shit out of each other. It’s obvious why of course: if the person were alive when you hit you’d have collided with the bubble and stopped moving forward, but now he’s dead so you lurch into the void created by his departing… soul? I guess? and your attack goes long.

Even if you’re the one who was right to swing and got the kill you still end up with a face full of friendly metal and possibly damaging your own team through no fault of your own. What should have been a glorious pile on is now a tangled mess of hurt feelings and recriminations.

The solution, or at least a partial one: Leave the collision bubble on for a split second during death animations, or until the corpse ragdolls. That way everyone can pile on the newly departed, hacking bits off without hitting each other (as much), or at least until someone clubs the torso into the dust and everyone mashes together as before. But it’d fix that initial clash at least.

This is a pub problem not a competitive one >.> if multiple allies hit one guy at the same time, they should accept that there is going to be team damage. It’s controllable and a fix isn’t needed.

• @Huggles:

This is a pub problem not a competitive one >.> if multiple allies hit one guy at the same time, they should accept that there is going to be team damage. It’s controllable and a fix isn’t needed.

Sorry I didn’t realise I was posting in the competitive forum.

• @McLumberjack:

LOL when you post about game changing mechanics they ultimately affect competitive play. And, as multiple people have said to you consistently you balance games off of the people at the highest bar the game has to offer, none below.

• @McLumberjack:

It’s only a problem because pub players for the most part are bad. It’s just common sense to realize that 4v1’ing someone is gonna result in team damage. It doesn’t need a “fix” because it isn’t broken. It’s just the result of bad players being bad.

• inb4 wah elitists

• Elitists!

Shit.

Consider this then: what you’ve got here is a psychotic lack of empathy. The game is played in ways other than your own personal experience. Starting chivalry, joining a server and playing the game is not a mistake. If a change would make the game better for pubs and not effect scrims then it has merit. Pure and simple. I’m yet to see a reason why this change would damage the competitive scene, only that it’s irrelevant to it.

Now remember, when you’re coming up with an elaborate scenario where a momentarily collidable corpse presents a game breaking scenario be sure to make it plausible or you’ll look like a pompous idiot