Heater Shield for Knights

• NECRO WARNING!

Well; where is it?

After a sustained campaign, we did get a “yes, we accept that the knight with a heater shield is the iconic imagine that comes to mind when people think of medieval warfare, it’s definitely something that we are considering for the future” - not a direct quote but that was the gist of it.

So, it transpires that the future had nothing to do with CMW, oh no, they meant CDW (at least that’s what I heard, I couldn’t get past 10 mins of CDW). Well, that wasn’t what we had in mind. Bet the knight in CDW looks great, I want one. It’s just that I want one in a game that people actually play.

We have had the “hell no we won’t go, give me a heater shield bro” and the “Flail knight equals fail knight” campaigns but these are distant memories now. Long forgotten shouts from past. However, in one small corner of merry England, I remain, possibly alone, yet undeterred, still hopeful that TBS will right this wrong.

• I am confused. Knight has heater shield now instead of buckler.

• Only for Flail though. I want mah Messer/Heater.

• I kind of want a different heater for the knight. He already has arrow-stoppin’ shields, he doesn’t need the MAA’s car door. He needs something more fight focussed, a knightly version of the buckler. It could look like the flat top wooden sort. Like here:

The armour should be the arrow stopping part anyway, it’s what it was for.

• Boxy heater shield would be cool, but who cares…

• @JimmyTryhard:

Boxy heater shield would be cool, but who cares…

Um…You maybe?

• @McLumberjack:

I kind of want a different heater for the knight. He already has arrow-stoppin’ shields, he doesn’t need the MAA’s car door. He needs something more fight focussed, a knightly version of the buckler. It could look like the flat top wooden sort. Like here:

The armour should be the arrow stopping part anyway, it’s what it was for.

How’s that shield workin’ out for him?

• @McLumberjack:

I kind of want a different heater for the knight.

That would be good but I can’t imagine TBS doing it. I agree that the heater looks like a car door on a MAA but it looks awesome on a knight and that’s the point. If someone just took a cursory glance at CMW it’s missing (with the exception of flail knights) the main point of reference that people have with medieval warfare. It’s no coincidence that TB’s own art work (above) incorporates this image of medieval warfare.

I typically stay out of balance debates, as I just don’t have a deep enough understanding of game mechanics but I do follow the issues. From what I’m hearing knights need some love and shields are still crap and that’s why I’m digging up this old chestnut now. Giving the knight the heater shield would probably, in some part at least, address both issues.

• I find shields much more effective and useful in DW, but they’re also pretty OP sometimes, like the viking and spartan shields when they block attacks coming from the side, or sometimes even from behind.

• Considering knights were designed around the shield, I think having access to all four shields should be a thing.

• @Sardaukar:

How’s that shield workin’ out for him?

Pretty well. We’re talking about the guy on the left, yeah?

• Excellent application of necromancy, honored brother.

That picture actually illustrates flail shield experience quite well. Sometimes strikes just go through it like it isn’t even there.

• @SOC:

Considering knights were designed around the shield, I think having access to all four shields should be a thing.

Exactly!!! Why tbs didn’t make that happen from the very beginning is beyond me

• Wait what? I thought this thread had died along side my love for the game??? Heater shield for the knights? really? when?

Oh I see; someone necroed the thread. Ok fine. I’ll go back to sleep now, somebody wake me up in time for Chiv 2.

• Well, you know. It’s still a good idea.

• I was just nodding off…

@McLumberjack:

Well, you know. It’s still a good idea.

You know that, I know that, even TBS know that but still nothing has changed.

• Well, I did think about making a new thread but that would probably mean that Torn Banner would miss all of the supportive comments in this one.

So it’s another necro. At least it saved me having to write out Heater Shield for Knights agai… Damn it.

Why bother? I hear you ask. I just wanted to point out that the Heater Shield is available to Knights in the Mercs Mod and guess what. The sky hasn’t fallen in just yet. You see a couple of Knights using a Heater Shield/primary weapon loadout but it’s not like the mod is full of them. You could argue that this is because the Mercs mod has nerfed shields but I really don’t think that’s valid because most people tend to go with the Kite shield as it has a bigger/longer hit box.

Frankly, I really can’t see any reason why TB didn’t make this a thing from the beginning, or at some stage in the middle, or especially now.

• Yep, I would still like it. Longsword + Heater would be really fun and cool, as I enjoy SoW + Heater in DW.

• @Reginhard:

the mod is full of them. You could argue that this is because the Mercs mod has nerfed shields but I really don’t think that’s valid

mercs mod has nerfed shield? i want some of what uve been smoking m8

• @daniel10x:

mercs mod has nerfed shield? i want some of what uve been smoking m8

I have only played the mod for a couple of hours and the shield nerf if it does exist didn’t feel that bad. Maybe they haven’t nerfed shields at all, it’s just what I have been told by people who play it all the time. If they haven’t, that further validates the fact that the mod isn’t full of people using a Heater shield primary weapon combo.

As far as i can see, there really is no reason why this isn’t a implemented.