How to prevent hittrades on feints

• Issue: Whenver someone feints there is a small window of opportunity where you can punish him for feinting when you read it. You can either just read his feint and stay passive or you can read it and attack on his feint.

The problem with the last option is that fast weapons like 1handers are impossible to punish with an attack since they will always end up as hit trades. This leave you almost always at a defensive state where your opponent just can keep feinting you even if you know that he will feint.

**Trying to actively punish someone with a swing for feinting will most of the time end up as hittrades.

Solution:** Increase the flinch window slightly for attacks that come after a feint so that the player who gets feinted will have a way to punisher the feinter without getting hittraded.This would technicaly mean flinch in realease but only for attacks that come after a feint. The “window of flinch” shouldn’t be too big obviously. Its just there to reward players for trying to react on a feint.

This only applies for situation where you hit first obviously

• inb4 thread derails into feint cryfest

This would also allow for offensive feint read with a bit slower weapons(Not SoW only) as well, seems pretty gud.

• I’ll ask you again, why don’t you kick him? The stamina drain is strong

I mean the idea is good, specially if they nerf kicks

• @ashvins:

I’ll ask you again, why don’t you kick him? The stamina drain is strong

I mean the idea is good, specially if they nerf kicks

Wouldn’t hurt to have multiple ways to get out of certain situations. Kick takes your stamina too when you use it.

• Sounds like a good idea, rewards a read rather than punishes. +1

• Thanks, this always bothered me. I hope they gonna do that

• There are still several problems. The big one being that flinch is very broken. Another one is that the weapon speed differential between lets say a dagger vs a maul, this still wouldn’t work. Far too many slow assed weapons that would not be able to punish because they are slow. Then there is the whole, one size fits all parry window of fail for all weapons regardless of size, length, and speed.

• @Retsnom:

There are still several problems. The big one being that flinch is very broken. Another one is that the weapon speed differential between lets say a dagger vs a maul, this still wouldn’t work. Far too many slow assed weapons that would not be able to punish because they are slow. Then there is the whole, one size fits all parry window of fail for all weapons regardless of size, length, and speed.

I don’t think a maul should be able to punish a read dagger feint.

• @Retsnom:

There are still several problems. The big one being that flinch is very broken. Another one is that the weapon speed differential between lets say a dagger vs a maul, this still wouldn’t work. Far too many slow assed weapons that would not be able to punish because they are slow. Then there is the whole, one size fits all parry window of fail for all weapons regardless of size, length, and speed.

Slow weapons have a disadvantage against fast weapons.

Shit I had no idea, better fix this.

• @Flippy:

Slow weapons have a disadvantage against fast weapons.

Shit I had no idea, better fix this.

That is all you pulled out of that? Sad……

• @Retsnom:

Yeah but maul sucks, not only it is slow as fuck but it also lacks range and it’s used by a fatass knight that can’t run for shit. On the other hand, this could be good for the zwei, since it’s slow ass timings are compensated by its range and vanguard run speed. In fact, if you use the zwei qualities (in duels/1x1 situations) feints are not so much of a problem, since you are most of the time far from your opponent. It’s not so hard to break the momentum of your opponent with this weapon if kicks and slash b0ckhits are well used.

• I like this idea a lot. As stated in another thread, SoW feint stabs aren’t so bad until they’re facehugging. However, one can simply feint -> sprint forward to get into facehug range -> start the stab/feint mixup anyways… This change would be add a great option in stopping that and other such feinty nonsense if your weapon is of decent speed.

• @Dave:

Sounds like a good idea, rewards a read rather than punishes. +1

+1 <3 Dave

• Definitely something to think about, but for now flinch in general still needs addressing and fixing.

• @SOC:

Definitely something to think about, but for now flinch in general still needs addressing and fixing.

I agree, flinching definetly needs to get tweaked and with tweaked I mean raised.

• @Sophax:

I agree, flinching definetly needs to get tweaked and with tweaked I mean raised.

True and your suggestion would help too. There’s no real downside to this I think. It would just reward the player with the better reaction time. Instead of letting things end in an all too common hittrade.

Less hittrades = more skill = more fun

• While I hate hittrades with a passion I’m not sure if this wouldn’t fuck with the balance between fast and slow weapons

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.