Should the Vanguard charge attack be removed?

• IMO the stab charge is fine.

• I wouldn’t mind having it completely removed, but at least the sword charge definitely needs a fix

• Just change sword charge into something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBXcIM-SvJw#t=1m23s
    With a slight ability to alter your path, like the stab type charges.

• I have always said that the swing charge was stupid and takes out too many people including teammates. It is like using an grenade to cut a steak. It takes no real skill and ends up killing more teammates than anything. While the pole arm charge attack is virtually useless. It rarely 1 hits anything with any degree of consistency and takes a lot of skill to land them still leaving you vulnerable. They are also super easy to side step, again making them virtually worthless and not worth the risk or stam cost.

But that said, it can be a useful tool if used accurately. So I have always proposed that the sword charges be converted to a stab or overhead and would love the pole arms to be an overhead because stab is so damn hard to land, not dragable in any way, and when it does doesn’t always do enough damage and charge attacks are easy to parry even from behind. So when you hear the scream and they are not in visual range hit parry and turn around and it is parried.

Just change the sword charge to stabs and then there is forced balance and skill ceiling increase.

• @Retsnom:

I have always said that the swing charge was stupid and takes out too many people including teammates. It is like using an grenade to cut a steak. It takes no real skill and ends up killing more teammates than anything. While the pole arm charge attack is virtually useless. It rarely 1 hits anything with any degree of consistency and takes a lot of skill to land them still leaving you vulnerable. They are also super easy to side step, again making them virtually worthless and not worth the risk or stam cost.

But that said, it can be a useful tool if used accurately. So I have always proposed that the sword charges be converted to a stab or overhead and would love the pole arms to be an overhead because stab is so damn hard to land, not dragable in any way, and when it does doesn’t always do enough damage and charge attacks are easy to parry even from behind. So when you hear the scream and they are not in visual range hit parry and turn around and it is parried.

Just change the sword charge to stabs and then there is forced balance and skill ceiling increase.

Why did you vote to remove stab charge then?

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Why did you vote to remove stab charge then?

Guess I thought that choice meant that all the charge attacks would be STAB ONLY. Poorly worded poll….

• So the fourth option is a vote saying that only the stab charge attacks are the issue and that the sword charges are fine? I really don’t think that is an opinion many people hold.

• Why do we have a sudden urge to make polls public? just be rid of the class imo. These helicopters have been mostly
    responsible for bring this game into the gutter :)

• I actually wish to see the charge attack getting changed on Swords to some kind of jumping OH.

This way it might find some practical uses, because right now, it’s too easy to damage a teammate.

• @Cerebral:

So the fourth option is a vote saying that only the stab charge attacks are the issue and that the sword charges are fine? I really don’t think that is an opinion many people hold.

I added just because

• Where’s the option for sword charge made into a non draggable overhead?

• Global Moderator

Removed?

Why? Easiest shit to counter. There isn’t problems with it.

• @lemonater47:

Removed?

Why? Easiest shit to counter. There isn’t problems with it.

It’s easy to deal with when all your team mates charge into you to ‘help out’.

Right.

• How do you “counter” a sword charge? You can block it but that’s it

• Global Moderator

@gndo:

It’s easy to deal with when all your team mates charge into you to ‘help out’.

Right.

Well I play on Australian servers. The average rank on pub servers there is 40. So you don’t get van charged in the back.

Noobs will LMB you anyway if you remove the charge attack. Wouldn’t really solve the problem of team damage.

And by counter I mean block as that’s all you can do with the sword ones. Though you can jump over those sometimes. But the spear/polearm charges you can step around and stab them as they go past. Devastating with heavy javs as you can backstab them.

They aren’t a problem. Noobs will be noobs van charge or not. If anything them doing a vanguard charge with a polearm is better than them walking up behind you and pushing LMB.

Sword charge should just restrict the mouse quite a bit more. You can do a 180 with them currently.

• For a while I’ve been chewing on an idea; dropping the stupid pre-rendered teleport slash or jumpy stabs, and just making the first swing out of a charge into a high-damage, high-stamina attack that you can choose. Be it a stab, swing, OH or even a golfswing on polearms.

This could also apply to javelins, and after practicing some spear tossing in RL, I can tell you that momentum makes a big difference in a javelin toss. It would also give Javelins a bit more of a Niche, as charging into combat is more rewarding damage-wise than a long-ranged support role. Sling tries to fill that gap, but Javs are better suited to the frontline combat, since it’s also a melee wep with a shield.

• Not as big a problem as feinting. I’m surprised how many are voting yes on this lmao!

• Not as big a problem as feinting.

You’re a special kind of cancer.

• @Flippy:

You’re a special kind of cancer.

Wasn’t this guy like a well known troll a few months ago? Don’t know why he’s getting attention.

• @Oy:

For a while I’ve been chewing on an idea; dropping the stupid pre-rendered teleport slash or jumpy stabs, and just making the first swing out of a charge into a high-damage, high-stamina attack that you can choose. Be it a stab, swing, OH or even a golfswing on polearms.

This could also apply to javelins, and after practicing some spear tossing in RL, I can tell you that momentum makes a big difference in a javelin toss. It would also give Javelins a bit more of a Niche, as charging into combat is more rewarding damage-wise than a long-ranged support role. Sling tries to fill that gap, but Javs are better suited to the frontline combat, since it’s also a melee wep with a shield.

I’ve always thought that sprinting while throwing javelins should confer a bonus, or you should receive a penalty for throwing while stationary. It’s damn hard to throw a javelin well when you’re standing still.

I wish the sling had a buckler or something FFS to make it a viable weapon, not just a gag/tryhard weapon.

About the OP’s question: Either re-work it completely, or JUST NORMALIZE THE DISTANCE COVERED. Cripes, sometimes it’s an across-the-map teleport, other times you cover six inches.