140 fov vs 120 fov

• I’ve been playing with for 140 for a week or so after playing with fov of 120 since, like ever.

The switch was rather drastic for the first hour or so, distances were hard to judge, weapons behaved differently. But I quickly got used to it and now can play with it without any problems. HOWEVER, I’m tempted to return back to 120 fov, after having switched back and forth several times to compare my feelings, and I’m not really sure what to do.

Sure fov 140 gives a lot more overview, I can see more of the enemy and so I don’t fall so easily for twitches and other attack-like moves. Drags have become so much easier, longsword dragging suddenly has a new meaning as I can keep track of where the enemy is and drag it naturally, rather than just doing a pre-prepared move.

BUT, for what I play for, for what I want to get from fighting, for the level I play at, it just doesn’t seem to be right. I feel distant, separated from the battle. Everything is so far from me. I no longer feel like I am standing there, like it is really me who’s fighting. Everything just feels so…. distant, It does not satisfy me nearly enough as playing on fov 120, and that’s what I play for, for satisfaction, for fun. Also I can’t use certain weapons for shit with fov 140. War axe, for example, have so deceiving animations (in 1st p) in 140 fov, I can’t tell where to aim and it all looks so stupid and odd.

So now I don’t know what way to choose: Go tryhard and have easier time doing them “tricks”? Or choose the pleasure from the game, but be more vulnerable to feints, intimidating looks overall fast weapon terror?

• You’re so cute.

• 140 fov is better if you have enough time to get used to it. Just keep playing and you will get used to it, there is no other way.
    I play on 130/140 all the time and 120 looks zoomed as fuck.

• Tbh before the camera changes I’ve played with 115 fov, now I play with 130

• @Edmund:

You’re so cute.

Thanks you, good sir.

@rumpelstiltskin:

140 fov is better if you have enough time to get used to it. Just keep playing and you will get used to it, there is no other way.
    I play on 130/140 all the time and 120 looks zoomed as fuck.

I’ll give it a try, but what am I supposed to do about that waraxe shit, I just can’t stand how the overhead looks and I do like my waraxe.

• @Martys:

I’ll give it a try, but what am I supposed to do about that waraxe shit, I just can’t stand how the overhead looks and I do like my waraxe.

But waraxe animation looks the same in 120fov and 140fov.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

But waraxe animation looks the same in 120fov and 140fov.

In 120 fov it looks more natural, it start on the left upper corner and goes down the middle, you accelerate by looking down-right.

In 140 fov it all starts in the middle and I can’t accelerate naturally anymore. I’m gonna have to go and fiddle with the tracers to see what to actually think.

• What a box of soft teddy bears you are. I use Fov 90 always have. My video of the free weekend was at fov 90.
    Look at how good the game runs and looks. This game was build for fov 90 its an old fov 90 engine. You fish head
    gamers might as well go an get that leg amputated as you depend on the high fov crutch so much.

• 140 fov makes ROHs trivial.

10fovs

• @loin:

What a box of soft teddy bears you are. I use Fov 90 always have. My video of the free weekend was at fov 90.
    Look at how good the game runs and looks. This game was build for fov 90 its an old fov 90 engine. You fish head
    gamers might as well go an get that leg amputated as you depend on the high fov crutch so much.

Sorry, I would agree that 140 fov looks a bit stupid, but 90 is just wrong. It’s all so zoomed in and you can’t see anything. The only reason for using fov 90 is the claim it prevents choppiness of animations and improves fps, but I can’t confirm that.

Also I figured what it is with the war axe. It’s that, that I’m used to put the enemy in the left upper corner to hit them with lookdown overhead with one-handers, but in 140 fov, the sweet spot is much closer to the centre. It was just really frustrating for me to be missing so much but fiddling with the tracers I now see where to put the enemy to hit them right. Guess it’s all about getting used to, really.

• @loin:

Look at how good the game runs and looks. This game was build for fov 90 its an old fov 90 engine.

It looked terrible m8

• @afiNity:

It looked terrible m8

oie! Cheeky monkey bA gump. I suppose 105 fov might be ok to try soon for me. What a sacrifice idd

• @loin:

oie! Cheeky monkey bA gump. I suppose 105 fov might be ok to try soon for me. What a sacrifice idd

Loin joining the dark side with 105 fov!

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Loin joining the dark side with 105 fov!

I actually quite like Mr rumpel tbh

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120605232323/thementalist/images/f/fb/Jekyll-and-hyde.jpg
    But at fov 105 its going to look like hell imo

• I think the new camera’s fov 90 is not the same as the old camera’s fov 90. So using the same values before/after is not really an accurate comparison.

I used to play at 105. When the new camera was released I upped it to 110 for a few weeks and I’ve been playing 120 ever since.

I don’t like how fov 140 looks for the same reasons OP stated.
    Sure, what got me hooked to Chivalry was being able to come up with skills and sick movez and probably 140 is the way to go, and I could probably do better in group fights. But I’d be sacrificing the first person experience,

Also, I play a lot of Knight and if there’s one single thing that’s keeping me away from a higher FoV is how silly Crushed leg’s look while sprinting> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrC4e211faI

I could never get used to looking like an armored tiny elf

• I play at 130. Nice balance between the two.

• I play at 110 fov. Honestly drags arent hard at all to read in that fov, anything higher and i fuck up because of depth perception.

• I play at 116 with all the settings cranked (even the bodies on full), I like my game to look nice.

• @Kim:

I play at 116 with all the settings cranked (even the bodies on full), I like my game to look nice.

this guy knows what he’s talking about

playing on all low is for dirty EU plebs