Linux Server - High Pings

• I tested the linux/wine config and made a server without any problems. Problem is, on the test vps the ping would go up the more players joined. I just attributed this to the low-end test vps I had.

I moved it over to a dedicated box with much better specs and have the same exact issue.

Is this something that is just natural to a WINE run version of Chiv? I’m stumped on this.

I would love to see a linux version of the dedicated server.

Thanks for the input.

• By how much do the pings go up?
    The same thing happens on Windows, just not that big of a rise as I think you’re getting.

• The server is located centrally around MO, so I’m in Chicago so my ping is around the 50’s low 60’s with no players in the server. As the server gets traffic, the ping will increase up to almost 100 for me . . . I think that is really odd that it would increase so high.

• Developer

showdebug

You’ll see the length of time the server is taking to do one tick. It should be lower than the tick rate you’ve set for the server (default is 60Hz, so 1/60 seconds).

Anyways, I don’t know what would cause a dramatically higher tick time under wine unfortunately

• So I updated my version of WINE to 1.6, it was 1.4.

I haven’t tested the debug with a full server yet (24 players) but just using my ping as an example - I start with a ping of about 36 - 40. Sitting on the server alone, it would jump from a 30ish ping to 50ish ping. That just could be due to internet issues on my end so I can’t tell for sure until I get a full server.
    As more players join, the ping shoots up. It will usually stay around 80 with a full server, but that just doesn’t seem normal for the ping to jump that high. It’s not just my ping that does it but everyone that is playing on the server. Their pings will start out lower with less people, but as more people join the ping increases.

Before I set it up on my dedicated box, I tested it on a VPS from Digital Ocean - just a standard 512MB 1 CPU vps and the game worked, but the same issue. I thought that the ping spikes were just due to the low specs on the vps.

I thought it might be something wrong with either the connection to my server or the box itself and I emailed the techs about it and they found nothing wrong with the box or the connection.

Here is a screenshot of the debug you were talking about.

• Developer

You’re looking for the “Server ms”. Right there it’s only at 1.47ms, which is very low. Is that without any players?

• Yes that is with only myself on the server

• This was on a full server on the new map Coldfront
    I switched the map and the pings leveled out dramatically like 64 average

• Happened again on a full server. Seemed fine for several hours then pings jumped again

• Could you not try a ping limit for starters? If a few very high pingers jump on any server it usually starts problems.
    Its a pity they don’t have rates , snaps and max packet settings on the server side?

• @loin:

Could you not try a ping limit for starters? If a few very high pingers jump on any server it usually starts problems.
    Its a pity they don’t have rates , snaps and max packet settings on the server side?

Is there a way to limit the pings in the configs?

The issue is the pings are stable - even if they are 100ish , then all of a sudden they jump to 120’s and above for no reason. However; there isn’t much noticeable lag when the pings do jump and almost always go back to normal on a map change.

• I think a high ping kick does exist. Its not my area of expertise but you could scroll through the server hub forum here.
    Or even ask what is the command. It does exist as I was dropped off a server for high ping 200 a few months ago
    reason said exceeded ping limit

• @loin:

I think a high ping kick does exist. Its not my area of expertise but you could scroll through the server hub forum here.

I think the ping kick comes from these RCON tools, but they only run in Windows and are kind of unstabe.

• what about those old pipe commands ?