New Game Mechanic: Parry in Windup

• thats right nerds

what if you could parry strikes while they were still in windup?

the tracers on the attacker would be parry only tracers like the ones on the handle hit fix for the duration of the windup

this solves the issues of stabs particularly from the really long weapons in the game starting inside you

this makes incredibly long weapons easy to block by facehugging them like IRL, you could also run into them with a shield making defensive shield play more viable

makes shorter faster weapons stronger, also nerfs feints to some extent because if you face hug with feints you can only flash feint with them or risk being parried in windup

a lot of weapons will probably have to be rebalanced but i believe this will make the combat more fun and consistent

/discuss

• retarded

/thread

• I like it because it nerfs stab feints without touching the feint window, making cftp from stab still effective. Would test.

marry me

• maybe chiv 2

• @Karasu:

I like it because it nerfs stab feints without touching the feint window, making cftp from stab still effective. Would test.

marry me

its retarded cus any stab in facehug would get parried before it can do dmg

• @CRUSHED:

realistically facehug feints didnt work cuz lol collision in chivalry weapons have no collision until they are in release which makes absolutely no sense at all

you can hit ppl with lookdown overheads even when your gr8sword hits the ceiling because the damage tracers hit your opponent and the ceiling at the same time

makes no sense at all m8

• @CRUSHED:

Maybe just towards the end of windup or something? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• @Karasu:

Maybe just towards the end of windup or something? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

the unfeintable part of the windup sounds like a good compromise

o ya this heavily nerfs lotto knight playstyles TBS pls consider it

• @zombojoe:

the unfeintable part of the windup sounds like a good compromise

o ya this heavily nerfs lotto knight playstyles TBS pls consider it

Doesn’t really nerf stab feints then :(

• @zombojoe:

realistically facehug feints didnt work cuz lol collision in chivalry weapons have no collision until they are in release which makes absolutely no sense at all

you can hit ppl with lookdown overheads even when your gr8sword hits the ceiling because the damage tracers hit your opponent and the ceiling at the same time

makes no sense at all m8

sense
    chivalry

get the fuck out m8

• So, what you would propose is that a invisible non-damaging hitbox/trace appears where the weapon’s first frames of release state should appear during their windup, so that you may parry them way sooner, or something simular. I cannot think of any other way how this could be working, although as it may sound like an interesting idea. I do not really think it will work out, it might have too much downsides to it.

But, unlike some. I cannot say I’m 100% certain if this will work out or not, so I am not going to claim that it will not, and I’d happily see this tested.

Also another thing, what would be a more suitable way of fixing ‘stab’ feints that are facehugged, would be if they added a sort of ‘windup trace’ and if the windup trace connects with hitbox or surface, it will be canceled like as if it hit the ground in release state.

Like, IF your windup animation makes your sword hit your target’s hitbox before release, no damage will occur.
    So, if you stab feint someone and the weapon goes inside them, it would count as a ‘world deflect’. That’s what I think would be a more suitable solution.

• @Karasu:

Doesn’t really nerf stab feints then :(

still does, afaik unfeintable windup is half of the windup

• @wildwulfy:

So, what you would propose is that a invisible non-damaging hitbox/trace appears where the weapon’s first frames of release state should appear during their windup, so that you may parry them way sooner, or something simular. I cannot think of any other way how this could be working, although as it may sound like an interesting idea. I do not really think it will work out, it might have too much downsides to it.

But, unlike some. I cannot say I’m 100% certain if this will work out or not, so I am not going to claim that it will not, and I’d happily see this tested.

Also another thing, what would be a more suitable way of fixing ‘stab’ feints that are facehugged, would be if they added a sort of ‘windup trace’ and if the windup trace connects with hitbox or surface, it will be canceled like as if it hit the ground in release state.

Like, IF your windup animation makes your sword hit your target’s hitbox before release, no damage will occur.
    So, if you stab feint someone and the weapon goes inside them, it would count as a ‘world deflect’. That’s what I think would be a more suitable solution.

They’re called parry tracers bro. They’re on handles now.

• Why not 10 chars

• @zombojoe:

still does, afaik unfeintable windup is half of the windup

Oh I guess ya if they feint at the end and then you parry as the feint is finishing. Still sleepy tryna work this out

• @wildwulfy:

that can also work but idk if TBS is capable of programming that

the reason i thought of parry windup instead of that is that the person on defense will probably get confused when he sees an attack go inside him and then suddenly get canceled

• @zombojoe:

that can also work but idk if TBS is capable of programming that

the reason i thought of parry windup instead of that is that the person on defense will probably get confused when he sees an attack go inside him and then suddenly get canceled

This should be pretty simple. All Torn Banner need to do is to add a tracer that applies during windup, that if it hits any collision boxes or hit boxes, it will result in a world-deflect.

Basically, they have a code or something that tells the swing-tracers that are from the bottom of the weapon, to the top to activate when the weapon is during release state, so this should definently not be too hard for them.

• yeah but this is TBS we are talking about

a combination of both could work too actually

• The Red line is the windup trace, blue line is the release trace

Let’s say, if red tracer connects with hit/collision box, it will result in world deflect aka cancel.

• nice gif looks exactly like what im proposing