New Game Mechanic: Parry in Windup

• I wanna say yes, but it’ll just cause more problems than it fixes…

• Capes and pump-action shotguns.

• AFAIK, The 1st/3rd person windup animations are too different from each other, so this idea probably won’t work. Look at the 2h sword idle animations, for instance. The sword in 3rd person points down during idle and points up in 1st person.

I made a mod that turned the first 0.1 seconds of release into parry tracers, but the handle update broke it. I can fix it if anyone has interest in testing.

• pls id like to test it

• Would solve a load of bs this game has. But at this point it would break the core mechanics.

Save it for chiv 2.

• @Camponês:

AFAIK, The 1st/3rd person windup animations are too different from each other, so this idea probably won’t work. Look at the 2h sword idle animations, for instance. The sword in 3rd person points down during idle and points up in 1st person.

I made a mod that turned the first 0.1 seconds of release into parry tracers, but the handle update broke it. I can fix it if anyone has interest in testing.

this sounds like a very elegant solution actually 0.1 seconds may not be enough to for most people to notice, but with good practice i can see it being used

• @zombojoe:

pls id like to test it

Here:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=267599336

Just to clarify what the mod does: It turns the first 0.1 seconds of release into parry only tracers, meaning they can’t do damage but can be parried.

• The problem I see with the idea is that people would just sprint in people’s faces to try to parry all their attacks in windup. It would be pretty clunky.

To nerf stab feints just do the suggestion Sophax had to increase the end-feint lockout window or whatever he said 50-100ms.

• @Flippy:

The problem I see with the idea is that people would just sprint in people’s faces to try to parry all their attacks in windup. It would be pretty clunky.

To nerf stab feints just do the suggestion Sophax had to increase the end-feint lockout window or whatever he said 50-100ms.

thats exactly what short weapons are for

remember though you really wont be able to parry overheads in windup if the attacker is holding it up high, you cant get that close to him yknow

but you will be able to parry stabs really easily, and accelerated LMBs as well, and lookdown overheads

the parry box could even be made smaller like moepork suggested because this would make parrying a lot of easier

• I’d like to maybe at least test this concept, perhaps with a small increase to the feint window to offset it. I kinda like the idea of bigger feint window BUT with a parryable windup. Would like to see how that plays out- maybe feints would have to include more footwork/distance management to be effective. It might, however, completely wreck the weapon balance beyond repair.

• I can see this as a pretty good idea against powerful stab spam facehug weapons.

The problem with it is with the current parry box being way too big. I guarantee there will be problems for overheads and horizontals at facehug as well. Maybe a slightly bigger bubble would alleviate some of that foreshadowed occurance, but I doubt it.

The other issue is with short weapons that might end up being too strong at this point. Z-stabs would be 100% useless, so you’re taking more dragging possibilities out of the question.

On the flip side, however, it does open up more feint mindgames with flash feints.

• @Oy:

Capes and pump-action shotguns.

Could you please just fuck off if you got nothing better to say than that?

• i agree that the whole game will have to be rebalanced for this work, it might be too big a change

obviously the damage values will have to be tweaked on many weapons, like 1handers should be doing a lot less damage with this balance because they will have a big advantage in being harder to parry in windup

• I see this as a nerf to sword stabs, as they’re the weapons that have their stabs start way out in front of you. Polearms and spears pull back a bit at least.

It’s a big change, but not as big as you think; and only because the parry box is way too big and would cause issues with other attack windups.

• @wildwulfy:

Could you please just fuck off if you got nothing better to say than that?

Maybe if you say please.

• @Oy:

Maybe if you say please.

Please piss off if you got nothing better to do rather than trying to derail a topic with just random bullshit.

And yeah NoVa, I really dislike the 1H & 2H Sword stab attacks, because they can pretty much start inside someone’s hitbox on release, which pretty much forces you to guess if the attack will become a feint or an actual attack. You cannot wait for the release state, you will just have to react by parrying due to poor work with animations and no consideration how to solve these problems. Mount and Blade Warband did a excellent work with balancing out their game when it comes to the difference between long and short weapons. Long ranged weapons had to play on their advantagous distance, or become crippled when an opponent closes in.

By doing this, we might see more tactics regarding the secondaries for the Vanguards, which are right now barely used.

• @wildwulfy:

Please piss off if you got nothing better to do rather than trying to derail a topic with just random bullshit.

And yeah NoVa, I really dislike the 1H & 2H Sword stab attacks, because they can pretty much start inside someone’s hitbox on release, which pretty much forces you to guess if the attack will become a feint or an actual attack. You cannot wait for the release state, you will just have to react by parrying due to poor work with animations and no consideration how to solve these problems. Mount and Blade Warband did a excellent work with balancing out their game when it comes to the difference between long and short weapons. Long ranged weapons had to play on their advantagous distance, or become crippled when an opponent closes in.

By doing this, we might see more tactics regarding the secondaries for the Vanguards, which are right now barely used.

no mount & blade did terrible work at balancing stabs with their bouncing off shit. pretty much every competitive warband player i know thinks its retarded.

• Just words man, nothing else.

Its great for giving longer weapons an actual downside.

Edit: Besides, you barely notice the bounce off unless you’re bad at judging which side to attack from. There’s actually a footwork tactica that involves moving to the side of your opponent where you believe they will start their attack, so that their weapon will bounce off if they just attack from that side without doing anything about it. Leaves them open for an attack, as for long-ranged weapons, you could still somewhat hit someone upclose by dragging out and then into them.

• you can bypass the bounce easily, but that doesnt make it any less retarded.

• Well technically you can sort of already do this with an ini edit within the feint window.