Framerate

• So i’ve been complaining for a while about how my frames are shit now since barbarian patch, and even during the barbarian patch beta when that was in the beta stage.

I’ve tested a few options for myself. If i attempt to play at 120fps at 1080p, my frames are complete garbage, when it should be around 120fps, i get as low at 60 or sometimes SLIGHTLY less than 60. If you don’t understand why that’s bad and you’re going to come into this thread saying “i play at 40 fps all the time, so 60 would be awesome” please just don’t post anything in here, because you don’t get it.

I can turn the settings to everything lowed out and keep it at 1080, but the frames still stay crappy.

I’ve lately just been playing at 720p with maxed settings and that seems to allow me to play at a decent framerate, but i still get drops when in combat and in certain areas of maps, and no map performs perfectly. The only ones that are good are some of the custom duel maps and such where i can get solid 120fps even on 1080p…

Now what i have done recently is just drop myself back to 60hz 60fps and i will get a solid 62fps constantly with almost no drop, maybe 1-2 frames here and there, and this is at 1080p maxed settings.

So i’m curious, if ican play this game at 60fps 1080p maxed out, and get great frames, then what is up with this game to where when you change the resolution to 1080p or the fps up to 120… it decides to take a shit and perform like garbage? What is the deal.

Keep in mind, that before the barb patch i’ve played this game at a constant 120fps with settings maxed out, even on maps like citadel that were poorly optimized. I remember how smooth everything was and the game just performed great, and now it’s horrible. What happened with this barb patch to cause such bad performance. Was terrible in beta too i remember posting about it.

• Global Moderator

I swear you were complaining about this miles before the barbarian patch.

• Clay can you post your specs? Just for the heck of it.

• @lemonater47:

I swear you were complaining about this miles before the barbarian patch.

was probably complaining a few previous patches because i got sight framerate drop in like 2-3 each prior to that, but each of those only gave me a deviation of like 5-15 fps whereas the barbarian patch cut my frames in half

• @Vesanus:

Clay can you post your specs? Just for the heck of it.

i7-3770k
    Nvidia GTX680SC
    8GBRam 2600 Gskill i believe
    Vertex 4 SSD
    p8z77 mobo

I mean that’s all that really matters, i have a ton of 2000rpm fans, and h100i liquid cool system on my cpu for cooling. at least 1000w psu gold certified.

I also have the latest gpu drivers but have tested older and beta gpu drivers and yes, i fully uninstalled, rebooted, and then re-installed each time.

I have tried overclocking my cpu which i can get it up to 4.7ghz, and i currently am not OC’ing at 3.5. I’ve also tried OC’ing and not oc’ing my gpu… none of that helps.

I’ve also made sure i cleared any config changes to nvidia control panel 3d settings and reset to default, and tried adjusting a bunch of them to see if anything helps.

I’ve reinstalled directx several times, i’ve reinstalled my entire OS once and have played on both win7 and win8 (win7 currently)

I’ve uninstalled/reinstalled the game, after deleting everything and all chivalry configs and files and removed any workshop shit before re-installing from scratch and still doesn’t help.

I’ve monitored my cpu, memory, and gpu usage and temperatures while playing chivalry, everything is normal. My CPU doesn’t get about 28deg, gpu might get up to like 45-50deg at load. CPU and memory usage is usually low for gaming… no sense made. Have done hard drive checks, memory checks… blah. I’ve done it all mang!

I’m telling you guys, it’s madness! I have a pretty good system, not top of the line of course but I can play any other game on the market right now at maxed out settings and get great frames… bf3, bf4, farcry3 (very demanding graphically) and i mean a number of other games. Bf4 at max settings 144hz (higher than chiv) runs like a gem.

Why is chivalry more demanding than these games. Either way i should be able to play it with good framerate. Ridiculous.

I feel like i must buy gtx titan black to play this game, which i will not do.

• Global Moderator

Barb patch theoretically would of only increased RAM usage slightly. Which wouldn’t matter at all provided you are running 64bit. Chivalry actually does use a heck of a lot of ram. It uses more than battlefield for me. 2-2.5GB of RAM when most games barely use over 1GB. That’s looking at the individual process. Not that it matters while running it in 64 bit.

Or they did other things to much up the framerate. But the barbarian patch did nothing to my framerate. And their optimisation patch afterwards improved it greatly on maps like coldfront.

• Yeah it is madness. Your specs look amazing and it should be working on max fps/settings with no problem.
    I play on highest settings and 1920x1080 resolution - getting constant 90 FPS after I overclocked my i5-2500k from 3.30 GHZ to 4.0 (without overclocking I only had ~50-60 fps, so the game is really CPU dependant, but in your case it is not propably it, but trying won’t hurt.

Damn, this must suck for you… TBS help this man.

Edit:
    Btw also restart the game every time you change graphical settings. The game may not ask you but trust me I always get worse fps if i change something in setting and instantly hop on a server. Just a minor, propably obvious advice.

• My fps is still garbage after the “optimization” update, I drop to about 70-80 at times at 120hz 1080p.

i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz
    Nvidia GTX TITAN Black 6GB
    Corsair Dominator 2133mhz 8GB RAM
    Western Digital Caviar Black 7200RPM 2TB HDD.

I feel your pain Clay, it’s so awkward to drop frames on lowest settings.

Come to think of it, I’ve tried a few different cards with similar results, my GTX 680SC nets me 50-60 when the frames drop and my GTX 780SC drops are to around 55-65.

Was getting a solid 120fps a while back.

• try reverting to 60hz and let me know what you find, i get solid 62fps constant no drops at 60… apparently chivalry doesn’t like 120hz anymore :(

sucks man because frame drop makes me die a lot :(

sorry to all those that play at 60, but if you’ve experienced 120 and go back to 60 it SUCKS in comparison lol

• no choice but to git gud at lower fps :l

• @Vesanus:

no choice but to git gud at lower fps :l

try hard everytim

• NoobQ&A: Does 120 fps matter when I have 60Hz monitor?

• @Silu:

NoobQ&A: Does 120 fps matter when I have 60Hz monitor?

i don’t think so, might get some tearing. Try it out.

• @Silu:

NoobQ&A: Does 120 fps matter when I have 60Hz monitor?

Yeah, the frame your monitor will draw is only ~8ms ‘old’ instead of ~16ms in the worst case scenario. I noticed the difference, mouse movement felt a lot smoother. Would only suggest it when you can hold the 120 fps, fluctuating framerates suck.

And turn off VSync, always. (Maybe not in some single player games).

@Clay: Maybe try 90 fps for now?

• I guarantee you my computer is much shittier than yours and I get solid 120 frames on low settings. They might go as low as 90 or 100 on larger servers but never 60.

@50ShadesofClay:

i don’t think so, might get some tearing. Try it out.

I play 120 on 59hz and don’t get any tearing. I did when I played in fullscreen though, so I don’t know what’s up with that. But I’m buying a 120hz monitor next month so it doesn’t really matter.

• @fvonb:

Yeah, the frame your monitor will draw is only ~8ms ‘old’ instead of ~16ms in the worst case scenario. I noticed the difference, mouse movement felt a lot smoother. Would only suggest it when you can hold the 120 fps, fluctuating framerates suck.

And turn off VSync, always. (Maybe not in some single player games)

Found some explanation:

FPS is the number of frames per second the software is processing, while Hz is the rate at which the hardware in the monitor is refreshing the display. Yes, a 60hz monitor refreshes the screen 60 times per second. Therefore, a 60hz monitor is only capable of outputting 60fps. But, they are two independent functions, and you will see a difference in animation quality with more FPS. There is a point where the human visual pathways become saturated, which IIRC is somewhere around 70-80fps. After that you can still perceive a difference in quality, but to borrow an economic term, you’ve hit the point of diminishing returns and it’s a steep drop-off.
    It can still feel smoother to play at a higher framerate than your monitor can display however, because input lag with your mouse will be reduced. You might also start to see tearing though, which happens when your videocard is rendering frames faster than your monitor can display them.

I changed it, tested it with bots for a moment, unless it was placebo, the first impression was slightly smoother gameplay overall, especially the mouse control. Didn’t notice more tearing than usual without Vsync.

Clay, according to this guy I quoted, the difference past 80 fps is barely noticeable anyway. So maybe set it to 80-90 fps, it’s better than nothing.

• So what does your stat unit look like? What’s the bottleneck?

• I play at 30 fps all the time, so 60 would be awesome.

• @danezcou3:

I play at 30 fps all the time, so 60 would be awesome.

idk if troll or serious…

and dudeface i know i posted this info when tb or someone asked in a thread about it… but i can’t remember now.

I’ll check again next time i play which should be soon. I even have a video on youtube with this info in there but it was REALLY bad in the video… REALLY bad.

• I don’t see how you guys can reach 120 FPS, I thought that UDK was limited at 90?