Framerate

• no choice but to git gud at lower fps :l

• @Vesanus:

no choice but to git gud at lower fps :l

try hard everytim

• NoobQ&A: Does 120 fps matter when I have 60Hz monitor?

• @Silu:

NoobQ&A: Does 120 fps matter when I have 60Hz monitor?

i don’t think so, might get some tearing. Try it out.

• @Silu:

NoobQ&A: Does 120 fps matter when I have 60Hz monitor?

Yeah, the frame your monitor will draw is only ~8ms ‘old’ instead of ~16ms in the worst case scenario. I noticed the difference, mouse movement felt a lot smoother. Would only suggest it when you can hold the 120 fps, fluctuating framerates suck.

And turn off VSync, always. (Maybe not in some single player games).

@Clay: Maybe try 90 fps for now?

• I guarantee you my computer is much shittier than yours and I get solid 120 frames on low settings. They might go as low as 90 or 100 on larger servers but never 60.

@50ShadesofClay:

i don’t think so, might get some tearing. Try it out.

I play 120 on 59hz and don’t get any tearing. I did when I played in fullscreen though, so I don’t know what’s up with that. But I’m buying a 120hz monitor next month so it doesn’t really matter.

• @fvonb:

Yeah, the frame your monitor will draw is only ~8ms ‘old’ instead of ~16ms in the worst case scenario. I noticed the difference, mouse movement felt a lot smoother. Would only suggest it when you can hold the 120 fps, fluctuating framerates suck.

And turn off VSync, always. (Maybe not in some single player games)

Found some explanation:

FPS is the number of frames per second the software is processing, while Hz is the rate at which the hardware in the monitor is refreshing the display. Yes, a 60hz monitor refreshes the screen 60 times per second. Therefore, a 60hz monitor is only capable of outputting 60fps. But, they are two independent functions, and you will see a difference in animation quality with more FPS. There is a point where the human visual pathways become saturated, which IIRC is somewhere around 70-80fps. After that you can still perceive a difference in quality, but to borrow an economic term, you’ve hit the point of diminishing returns and it’s a steep drop-off.
    It can still feel smoother to play at a higher framerate than your monitor can display however, because input lag with your mouse will be reduced. You might also start to see tearing though, which happens when your videocard is rendering frames faster than your monitor can display them.

I changed it, tested it with bots for a moment, unless it was placebo, the first impression was slightly smoother gameplay overall, especially the mouse control. Didn’t notice more tearing than usual without Vsync.

Clay, according to this guy I quoted, the difference past 80 fps is barely noticeable anyway. So maybe set it to 80-90 fps, it’s better than nothing.

• So what does your stat unit look like? What’s the bottleneck?

• I play at 30 fps all the time, so 60 would be awesome.

• @danezcou3:

I play at 30 fps all the time, so 60 would be awesome.

idk if troll or serious…

and dudeface i know i posted this info when tb or someone asked in a thread about it… but i can’t remember now.

I’ll check again next time i play which should be soon. I even have a video on youtube with this info in there but it was REALLY bad in the video… REALLY bad.

• I don’t see how you guys can reach 120 FPS, I thought that UDK was limited at 90?

• I have always had FPS issues specially when I had a potato. That is why I posted so many INI tweaks last year. The reality is that the max fps you will get in multiplayer is 90 because UDK caps it at 90. You can artificially unlock it but it will not be smooth and can fluctuate radically. The number of players and ping also play a role in FPS. The more players, the more your PC has to process. The smoothest and most stable is usually under 24 players when you start to go beyond that the net code and the game itself isnt fully optimized. You will notice this on a large player server when more and more people join that both your ping and fps can drop.

I also switched back to default smooth frame rates and I am probably going to switch back to my slightly smaller monitor because it is 70hgz. But I am convinced that till real optimizations to the game and netcode are done, we are just stuck. Adding in additional skins and weapons just means more stuff to be rendered thus eating FPS.

• @danezcou3:

I play at 30 fps all the time, so 60 would be awesome.

I used Dxtory to force my game to run at no higher than 30FPS. My god, it makes me want to cry blood. No random frame drops though, which was nice…

• I recently stopped play around a monthish ago when the highest fps I would get was 40-60ish… Its a real shame…

• @Retsnom:

…Adding in additional skins and weapons just means more stuff to be rendered thus eating FPS.

Not to mention I shouldn’t be losing fps each patch with 4.3 ghz 12gb of ram and a 290… sigh…

• I uploaded some screenshots of my fps at 120 on low settings and 120 on high settings. Imo its all about having to quit
    Chivalry and Steam and then restarting. I noted on starting the second time the high settings fps had dropped to 70fps.
    It seems to be like a registry which needs 2 or 3 reboots to actually do what you want. This is an old box I use also
    775 socket stuff.

• @loin:

I uploaded some screenshots of my fps at 120 on low settings and 120 on high settings. Imo its all about having to quit
    Chivalry and Steam and then restarting. I noted on starting the second time the high settings fps had dropped to 70fps.
    It seems to be like a registry which needs 2 or 3 reboots to actually do what you want. This is an old box I use also
    775 socket stuff.

Sounds more like your cpu is having threading problems in your case, I can only imagine how old your pc is lol.

• I maxed it at 90 in my bsmooth thingy same as my fov and just relax with everything on highest settings nowdays.
    with high max settings you really see the knight colors and depth of game this pc is one of 5 and can run nasa!

• @loin:

I maxed it at 90 in my bsmooth thingy same as my fov and just relax with everything on highest settings nowdays.
    with high max settings you really see the knight colors and depth of game this pc is one of 5 and can run nasa!

I play at max everything these days and get 45-60ish fps, doesn’t matter if what I try I never get more than 70ish fps so i gave up on it.

• I’m still getting the same FPS from what I notice, however Coldfront shoots my constant 90 fps down to 40 or so…when you have a drop like that, it’s very noticeable.