I need help

• I’m trying to git gud.

I’ve identified my principle weakness- I don’t know how to deal with aggression. I’m pretty good with dueling a cautious opponent or rounding up less confident enemies, but I die if someone goes Normandy Beach on my character model.

Rank 39, a lot of experience in all four classes, and I freak out when I go up against a berserk, backflipping knight or vanguard.

How do I counter hyperaggressive vanguards? They charge at me and get in my face and partially inside my character model, and I can’t do much about it. They drag, they feint, they accelerate overheads past the point of existence (There is no archer.) What’s more, they never seem to run out of stamina. It’s hard as hell for me to move out of their range due to the reach of their weapons and how fast they move. When I manage to get away, they swing around for a few seconds, then I attack them- they parry five or six hits and don’t even get staggered.

Alright, Chivalry community, can you help me git gud? How do I deal with these players?

• It sounds to me that you’re being too passive, letting them play all their tricks on you which leaves holes in your defense. Keep initiative at all times - that’s basically what duels are all about. Six strikes in a row without a single feint is wasted initiative btw, unless you’re trying to stamina drain then. Once they start panting, it usually takes around 5 hits to stun them, depending on the weapon loadouts of course.

Fast kick is often pretty gud for regaining initiative if you’re unsure what your opponent is trying to do. People tend to counter a fast kick with another fast kick, so if you follow up with an attack, try to stay out of the kick’s range and you are guaranteed a free hit.

Backswings and accel overheads (on some weapons) can be tricky to parry, so try to sidestep backswings and then punish them, use crouch and leanback versus a ground sniffer vanguard to give yourself more vision. The enemy’s body language often tells what kind of a hit he is going for, being able to read it comes with time, not so affluent with it myself yet.

Hope I was of some help.

• With the power of stab feints at this moment and low flinch times, hyper aggression is probably the best playstyle overall in duels.

Every 2h except SoW and QStaff have very readable feints/drags, so it is imperative that you learn to read feints, drags, ripostes, and body language/telegraphs in general. Parry late. Reading feints is a skill that even the tip-top players can improve upon. It’s analogous to this game as aiming is to Counter-Strike, except it’s defensive whereas aim is obviously offensive.

Experiment and get accustomed to fast kicks. They are a powerful tool if you are not confident in reading the next attack and they aren’t attacking you instantly after a parry. If your opponent feints or whiffs a lot, kicks will put him that much closer to getting stunned or in low stamina aka panic mode.

As I’ve mentioned earlier, hyper aggression is often the best 1v1 playstyle. You must learn it yourself. e.g. As a Messer/Gmace/Maul Knight, you absolutely should go for hit trades versus Vanguards and SoW Knights. Being aggressive with feint and accel/drag/reverse oh mix ups yourself means you are robbing your enemy the chance to be freely and fully aggressive. Sometimes, if you find a pattern in your opponent’s play like delayed counter attacks or constant dragged attacks/combos, you should attack again even after you’ve been parried/lost the “initiative”.

Knight: Mix it up with your own feints, instant ripostes, instant or dragged overhead/lmbs/stabs, don’t be afraid of hittrades unless you use LS vs another knight or are at a big hp disadvantage.

MAA: Your ripostes, feints, and lookdown fake overheads are much tougher to read as a 1h user. Mix them up and try to bait panic parries. To be an offensive MAA master, you have to master parries and reading feints so you can stay in close range for the riposte/feint/delayed attack mixups. Relying only on dodge as defense drains precious stamina and resets the fight with less stam rather than giving you the initiative. Remember, you can dodge during parry raise, but not in parry release. Parry + dodge or fast kick when you are scared to read a feint on the next attack. Sidestep dodge into counter attack is a VERY powerful maneuver in all matchups.

• @a:

Sidestep dodge into counter attack is a VERY powerful maneuver in all matchups.

And to counter that, get accustomed to their dodge pattern and do a riposte slash when they’re expecting a stab or overhead. Worst case is you throw an attack that is easy to parry, best case is they try to side dodge and get decapitated.

• What this man said ^

Plus, I guess it was Sophax or some other dude here that said it’s good to backpedal everytime your opponent is going to attack you, or something like that.

Also feint, fear must be your friend. Feints scare most of the people, just like backhits (slash backhits tends to be scarrier IMO). Do never stay on defensive unless it’s really necessary. In my experience (mostly a vanguard player) you will like to press your enemy as much as possible.

Footwork man, very important. You must practice how to sidestep attacks, for me it’s the number 1 thing. Learning the weapons range is great for this, it will give you an extra confidence if you know well the limitations of your opponent’s weapon. Most important, do not panic and have patience man, you don’t need to predict ANY attack to parry/get away from it, unless you play with 180+ ping.

Try to end your fights as fast as possible, don’t let your opponent breathe. The best defense is a great offensive.

Ohh, and a great thing is to parry, wait a sec and feint. Use some body language to fake a riposte and then feint.

• Great points guys.

LMB is probably my most used attack as a Knight versus MAA 1v1. Very good arc and punisher for sidesteps. As aforementioned, they will either parry or have to dodge back and possibly still get hit because of lag.

Learning range can give you an incredible edge. A lot of people never learn them properly. If you are a LS Knight or Spear/Brandi Van or Van vs Knight/MAA, you can severely punish whiffs with your max range crouch matrixes/dancing/sidestepping.

In addition to backpedaling while on the defense, crouching can give you the extra little time needed to parry attacks or, if they’re rather clumsy, dodge LMBs and dragged overheads (hilarious when they whiff instead of forcing a parry). Sprinting forward to parry can be viable or even necessary in some situations: short weapon vs Vanguard, you want to do a scary fast counterattack or mixup, running into a dragged swing because you parried a little early, etc.

Your own feints can be the best way to counter feints. Sometimes, they will feint the same time you feint and then panic parry. The best defense is a good offense indeed.

• It’s a psychological mind-game as well as a reflex game. If they’re pulling off fancy moves on you, it shows that they have the forward momentum, the initiative. They’re controlling the fight and you’re letting them do it. The only way to combat this is to be aggressive yourself, and use timing and footwork. Let them throw an attack, parry it, but don’t riposte. Wait a sec and wait for their panic parry and get a stab in, and suddenly you’ve got the offensive momentum on your side. He’s vulnerable for a follow-up. In general, the longer you play, the better you get, the more you’ll learn what people do and how to combat it. You’ll develop better strategies for different play-styles. Try using a wide range of weapons and playing mixed modes, TO, FFA, LTS, Old Duel.

• Mod

I love the twirly ballerina feinting scumbags. Just let em do their twirls, keep your distance, spam XX2 (Laugh command), this will really put a dent in their aggression, as they’ll think you’ve worked out their tricks, just wait for opportunity to present itself. Most feinters and ballerinas repeat patterns. Learn them, look for openings, and attack then. It’s just practice really.

• All very good advice. I’ll just add that you should go into the fight knowing you’re going to smash someone’s face in. Mentally preparing yourself will help tremendously to prevent being forced on the defensive. You have to match their aggression with your own, and it’s much easier to start out that way than to dig yourself out of a hole.

• @a:

With the power of stab feints at this moment and low flinch times, hyper aggression is probably the best playstyle overall in duels.

Every 2h except SoW and QStaff have very readable feints/drags, so it is imperative that you learn to read feints, drags, ripostes, and body language/telegraphs in general. Parry late. Reading feints is a skill that even the tip-top players can improve upon. It’s analogous to this game as aiming is to Counter-Strike, except it’s defensive whereas aim is obviously offensive.

Experiment and get accustomed to fast kicks. They are a powerful tool if you are not confident in reading the next attack and they aren’t attacking you instantly after a parry. If your opponent feints or whiffs a lot, kicks will put him that much closer to getting stunned or in low stamina aka panic mode.

As I’ve mentioned earlier, hyper aggression is often the best 1v1 playstyle. You must learn it yourself. e.g. As a Messer/Gmace/Maul Knight, you absolutely should go for hit trades versus Vanguards and SoW Knights. Being aggressive with feint and accel/drag/reverse oh mix ups yourself means you are robbing your enemy the chance to be freely and fully aggressive. Sometimes, if you find a pattern in your opponent’s play like delayed counter attacks or constant dragged attacks/combos, you should attack again even after you’ve been parried/lost the “initiative”.

Knight: Mix it up with your own feints, instant ripostes, instant or dragged overhead/lmbs/stabs, don’t be afraid of hittrades unless you use LS vs another knight or are at a big hp disadvantage.

MAA: Your ripostes, feints, and lookdown fake overheads are much tougher to read as a 1h user. Mix them up and try to bait panic parries. To be an offensive MAA master, you have to master parries and reading feints so you can stay in close range for the riposte/feint/delayed attack mixups. Relying only on dodge as defense drains precious stamina and resets the fight with less stam rather than giving you the initiative. Remember, you can dodge during parry raise, but not in parry release. Parry + dodge or fast kick when you are scared to read a feint on the next attack. Sidestep dodge into counter attack is a VERY powerful maneuver in all matchups.

+1

10/TruckIsaMasteratSoWFeints

• Don’t always riposte.

the aggressive opponent in your senario is forcing you to react to them, with fighting in general if you are constnatly reacting to your opponent you will lose eventually.

You need to make them react to you.

This is what is meant by taking initiative. Be in the position where your opponent is reacting to you.

• fastkick them then feint the fastest attack you can do to take back initiative 99% of the time

a strat so pro even comp players havent caught on

• @zombojoe:

fastkick them then feint the fastest attack you can do to take back initiative 99% of the time

a strat so pro even comp players havent caught on

Yeah I was going to say a kick can often give you back the initiative.

• Well, aggressive play styles heavily rely on stamina. If they feint too much don’t let them fool you. If a MAA always backpedals or dodges when you move towards them trying to get the initiative, fake your initiative. If you can duck or simply stay away from an incoming swing, let them hit the air. And when you sense their stamina is getting low and yours is OK, make them parry and fast kick them, which should put them close to getting stunned.

Aggressive players with less experience usually develop a tunnel vision of sorts and become too focused on their own movements, so take advantage of that by making them panic parry with a feint or any feintless maneuver (lookup/lookdown, jumps, positioning, etc).

As to specific moves, accel’d overheads with a little horizontal drag usually work beautifully when an opponent is circling to drop in some nasty attack from your blind spot. However, you need to be accurate with your drag and very fast to avoid a hit trade. Delayed overheads should probably allow you to at least hit trade.
    You’ll need to master attacks vs alt attacks based on enemy position to know the best direction to attack from.
    If your play style involves jumps -specifically, forward jumps- be wary of the bubble because you’ll collision with their knees and that will stop your momentum and make you very vulnerable.

Anyway, you just need to improve 3 things: distances, footwork and facehuggers. A good training technique is to duel a friend at facehug distance (with no feints at first). Do that with knights (for higher HP and restricted mov speed) with SoWs or Broadswords and simply improve your dragging, parrying and footwork, then you can move on to feinting and other classes. Just remember, don’t panic!

• I’m hardly a pro at this game, but I consider myself good. Not like… spiralling backward overhead good but, good. But on the topic of the aforementioned, a nifty trick I’ve found with the type of vanguard you described (Combos, turns away, runs back at you with combos when your attack misses), is to simply attack when they are well out of your range. Not everyone pays the best of attention to audio queues, but I have found that when I go to attack and miss the running vanguard, he will then spin and attack, getting me. If you attack far short of whatever their attack will be, you simply watch the attack whiff and the vanguard realise that you’re not as close as he may have thought, then rush in and jab him in his recovery. More often than not these vanguards/knights have a pattern, and they really dislike it being interrupted. It gives you initiative, closes the gap and definitely pulls the wind out of their sails. So be ready to parry their instant overhead desperation attack.

• @Alphonse:

A good training technique is to duel a friend at facehug distance (with no feints at first). Do that with knights (for higher HP and restricted mov speed) with SoWs or Broadswords and simply improve your dragging, parrying and footwork, then you can move on to feinting and other classes. Just remember, don’t panic!

This accelerated my skill level immensely. I practiced parries for a lot of minutes with DemonicChocobo as he would spam LMBs, alt LMBs, then feints, then drags, then overhead/stabs into the mix, etc. I went from only being able to beat 30’s to being able to put up a good fight and sometimes even beating 50’s and beyond. This was at level 22 for me, I’m now 38, reached a point where the only way I can git even gudder is to play competitive because pubs are not enough and duel servers can be incredibly inefficient (not getting to duel good players repeatedly) and/or frustrating due to high ping (Lg gives me 100ish ping).

• I find them kinda funny. They’re like machines actually. Run towards them to make them think you’re going for a hit, and watch them play their response for that action. I have also found that many dont bother to parry but instead run around like retards and expect you to miss. As a knight I just poke them in the face if they charge at me. “You cant hit me, I charged! :'C”

It’s the backpedalling men at arms that are truly despicable. I just hate them.

• @Agent:

It’s the backpedalling men at arms that are truly despicable. I just hate them.

Back up back up back up dodge, hit, back up back up back up, dodge hit.

• sounds like you’re lacking a lot of experience….even if you have 2000 hours played, someone with 100 hours in the competitive scene will be better than you

How to git gud? practice against decent players, ask some mlg pro like me to coach you and help you get rid of bad habits, if you can’t handle it then accept that you suck at this game.

• Best way to win a fight is to be aggressive and seize the initiative, unless you use GS, then you can just lookdown riposte to victory on most guys lol.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.