Are spears underpowered?

• When comparing the Spear and Fork to other weapons, you’ll notice a few things:

• More predictable
    • Takes too many hits to kill a knight
    • Has a LOT of “almost hit” moments, but with spear-type weapons you’re basically f*cked once you miss

I don’t know, spears in general just feel overpowered. Little dancing remains when choosing a spear. Attacking makes you extremely vulnerable, whether you’ll hit or miss.

May I suggest 1 of 2 things?
    Either 1) Lower the turn speed cap on the Spear and the Fork(only slightly), because it’s a tad too easy to dance around a thrust.
    Or 2) Reduce the slowdown effect while doing a thrust attack with the Spear and the Fork. I’m not saying Vanguards should be able to attack and backpedal without problems, but currently you’re almost coming to a full stop when you attack while backpedaling.

Note that I don’t want to see the Brandistock buffed. Absolutely not. Just the Spear and the Fork.

• Takes too many hits to kill a knight

Someone needs a Brandi slappin’.

No, but I agree, reintroduction of CFTP turned spear weapons into shit really.

• they arent underpowered, always been balanced - strong

wait for the GS nerf and spears will be main meta for vanguards again

• I think they’re fine as they are. They are just being outclassed big time by greatsword which is the best weapon in the game.

• Attacking and not being able to block after (unlike weapons which can cftp) can be a bitch sometimes but generally I don’t think that spears need a buff

• Spears are stronk. And they were strong before even with 0.8 flinch and without cftp.

Brandi slash needs a nerf and fork needs to be reworked, no weapon should have so fast attacks u have to guess if your opponent is riposting, same issue as with hws lol.

• Hmmm…

In that case…

Any tips for using the Spear competitively?

• @Rickvs:

Hmmm…

In that case…

If they are aware of you, feint. Preferably feint one of the fast attacks to overhead.

If they are not aware of you, stab them in the back.

• Not a single spear is underpowered.

Fork is just stupidly broken, LMB riposte is, I don’t want to say impossible, but incredibly difficult to read and the OH lookdown ripostes are just silly. That being said, it is much stronger in duels than in teamplay.

Spear is fine, I suspect when Brandi is nerfed, spear will be a more attractive option due to the slight range advantage. That being said as well, the overhead lookdown ripostes can be a bit inconsistent.

Brandi needs some reworks. The LMB is slightly too fast, and far too damaging. I’m on the fence about the main stab one shotting MAA.

Edit: I can’t believe I forgot to mention knockback. It is pretty annoying.

Oh yeah, and GS/Brandi nerf will make all of the options much more comparably viable.

• Spears are very effective when you have a teammate to support you. Otherwise they’re not that good, but the extreme range in teamfights makes up for the lack of cftp.
    @CRUSHED:

wait for the GS nerf and spears will be main meta for vanguards again

ditto

• @Rickvs:

Hmmm…

In that case…

Dubjay and Koala if I say a few names just of the top of my head. Though they opt to play gs because lol gs

• Halberd will still always be a strong choice. Shame billhook hasn’t been seen much lately.

• Your Poll is is biased btw.

• Shame billhook hasn’t been seen much lately.

Billhook is fucking scary. Nobody except NinjaCub ever used it though.

• Mod

@Flippy:

Billhook is fucking scary. Nobody except NinjaCub ever used it though.

Gauntlet uses billhook.

• Dubjay comes to mind when looking for spear players.

Dolo is pretty good with a spear too…. then again Dolo was good with anything.

• @Kim:

Gauntlet uses billhook.

Oh ya I forgot about him, we rarely ever scrimmed ia. so he didn’t come to mind.

• @NoVaLombardia:

Dubjay comes to mind when looking for spear players.

Dolo is pretty good with a spear too…. then again Dolo was good with anything.

Haven’t seen Dolo around much lately… but yea Dolo was beast with any weapon.

• I don’t think they’re weak and never have; I’ve always found them to have a separate purpose from all other weapons in the game. They’re best used as team support weapons and no weapon can truly shine as well as the spears for it. The LMB buffs gave them much more viability outside team support too, but I still find them very solid in solo pubs. They won’t bring the success a GS will in solo pubs but they will out perform it in proper team battles should the strategy revolve around it.

• I really enjoy seeing all this gs bs in every post now. It is very adorable, especially when I read something like it is best thing in the game. Other two swords just as viable, and if anyone thinks that zhei drags, reach, dmg, and lookdown’s still don’t make it as good as gs, maybe you should think of your skill level. Claymore is good cause it’s broken. Also do we forget about polehammer? The only weapon that vanguard got that I will agree is a total bs.
    Lets also talk about broad sword. That might be really best weapon in the game and wait, vanguard does not have it. The messer, really good weapon. Also why don’t people think of classes that go with weapons? Long sword might not have the reach of gs but knight has more hp.