So, a shield DOES boost windup speed?

• Somewhere in the forums+ in-game, i read that a buckler would make the MAA attacks faster. To me ,personally, this sounds kinda stupid. Like, isnt the whole downside of a shield to make you slower?

• The downside of the shield is that you can’t riposte and weapons such as maul murders your stamina.

• It’s a bug. –-I really hope.

• @Rickvs:

It’s a bug. –-I really hope.

• A buckler shield is designed to not impede your arms. Doesn’t make sense that it would speed your attack up though. Of course, now that I know this …. muahahaha

• @BillDoor:

A buckler shield is designed to not impede your arms. Doesn’t make sense that it would speed your attack up though. Of course, now that I know this …. muahahaha

I think it’s with all shields.

• @gndo:

I think it’s with all shields.

I remember when I first found this out in December 2012… damn you kids are slow.

• @Rickvs:

It’s a bug. –-I really hope.

It’s a feature just like flinch in release during sprint.

• Using shield should make heavier/slower weapons (ie. Longsword, SoW, Dane axe etc…) faster, but weapons like broad, norse, hws shouldn’t get a boost.

• @Vesanus:

Using shield should make heavier/slower weapons (ie. Longsword, SoW, Dane axe etc…) faster, but weapons like broad, norse, hws shouldn’t get a boost.

Why should 1h longsword, sow or dane be faster with a shield than without? Don’t understand your reasoning.

• It doesn’t change the windup at all. Just the animations, making them reach “center” quicker.

• The answer is no.

Shield does not change windup at all, not even release for that matter. The only thing that does make it slightly faster is because the animation plays differently.

For example with an overhead, the sword will appear from above your head and infront of you faster than a no shield animation would ( just slightly )

This is the reason why buckler was so useful before 1st person cam change.

• For example with an overhead, the sword will appear from above your head and infront of you faster than a no shield animation would ( just slightly )

So you’re saying it’s faster. K we agree then.

Shields do speed up attacks OP. Just use any one hander without a shield then use it with one. It’s A LOT faster.

• the animation reaches your opponent quicker than no shield but has the same speed and length afaik

the animation is just better

• @zombojoe:

the animation reaches your opponent quicker than no shield but has the same speed and length afaik

….
    @zombojoe:

….
    @zombojoe:

the animation is just_ better_

• @gndo:

Why should 1h longsword, sow or dane be faster with a shield than without? Don’t understand your reasoning.

For balance I guess…

• Mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKGwa17jPPQ&feature=youtu.be

I made a side by side comparison of the speed boost with a shield.

• The loss of riposte is far more detrimental than a slight advantage in acceleration. Perhaps with the buckler’s relatively fast drop time you could make the case that it’s a benefit, but even most 1-handed weapons cost less stamina to block with than the buckler does.

However, back when shields were bugged and you could ignore the drop time by attacking right out of a block, Warhammer/Falchion + Shield Knights were practically all you saw. Those were the days.

• @SlyGoat:

However, back when shields were bugged and you could ignore the drop time by attacking right out of a block, Warhammer/Falchion + Shield Knights were practically all you saw. Those were the days.

That sounds less like a bug and more like a realistic feature.

Besides, wouldn’t it make more sense to increase the windup of an attack after making a successful block instead of making the shield drop a crippling effect where you cant defend or attack at all?

• @SlyGoat:

The loss of riposte is far more detrimental than a slight advantage in acceleration. Perhaps with the buckler’s relatively fast drop time you could make the case that it’s a benefit, but even most 1-handed weapons cost less stamina to block with than the buckler does.

But shields are mostly feint-proof, to some extent drags are less effective against them, and they provide some protection from arrows. How many advantages do they need to make up for no riposte?

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.