Sweet spot for Medieval Warfare

• If there is one thing I love about Chivalry: Deadliest Warrior, then it is the concept of the sweet spot system, though I must admit that they sort of butchered it in their extension/Dlc by making it matter too much.
    There would be tree types of tracer: Blue, Green and Red.

Blue and Green had both a minimum base damage and maximum base damage, while red is a full damage anywhere.
    I don’t like the way the damage differ so much from Blue Trace Start to Blue Trace End, I would prefer if we say had a different blue, green and red base damage a strict damage value, so that you won’t get a value inside the blue tracer that ranges between for example 15 - 25.

Also the size of blue tracer should only be enough to penalitize Accelerated Attacks & Backswing/Reverse Strikes, rest should be green and then eventually to a wide Red tracer.

Perhaps there should be added another tracer that is before blue tracer. In this case, lets call it the gray tracer, that will only result in 1 base damage and no flinch, and your attack will suffer from world-deflect or parry, basically you don’t build up enough momentum to cause damage to your opponent which will greatly prevent people from manouvering their weapon so that their tracers instantly starts inside your hitbox, due to some lenght & animation of weapons.

but yeah remember, less butchered than the Deadliest Warrior, and it’ll be perfect.

What do you guys think about this?

• yeah…tracers for extremes case is the best option, i doubt this is going to happen at this point tho

• Fucking no just stop.

• Global Moderator

Not quite how it works in deadliest warrior lol.

Red is 100% damage
    Green is 75-99% damage
    Blie is 50-74% damage.

You can control the size of the tracers with drags they aren’t a set size.

• Please don’t EVER add damage gradient tracers in MW, it just makes swings inconsistent. It’s not easy to tell when maximum damage is going to be dealt, especially because of the animation quality in Chivalry. If we had amaaaazing animations, then maybe this would be ok. But this game is NOT polished enough for a system like this.

Dragging does not need a nerf.

• Perhaps the very first frames of a swing could have 15% reduced damage. But nothing more.

• shit like this is cancer of melee games

• @Flippy:

Fucking no just stop.

Why are you so conservative and close minded all the time? All you do is say no without providing any real reason as to why.

• @Mr.Lion:

Why are you so conservative and close minded all the time? All you do is say no without providing any real reason as to why.

It’s ideal to be conservative in general about gameplay mechanics. A bunch of people have provided reasons against this in different threads. It’s just a bad mechanic so everyone cringes when it’s mentioned because we’re all tired of talking about nerfing drags.

• Whats the point of sweet spots anyway?

• Global Moderator

@rumpelstiltskin:

Whats the point of sweet spots anyway?

Realism I would imagine.

• @Karasu:

It’s ideal to be conservative in general about gameplay mechanics. A bunch of people have provided reasons against this in different threads. It’s just a bad mechanic so everyone cringes when it’s mentioned because we’re all tired of talking about nerfing drags.

I haven’t seen a single argument thus far except vague terms like “cluncky”. Its not realy cluncky. The overal pacing and smoothness stay the same. It evens gets smoother and more reliable gameplay since good players will gravitate to keep the optimal distance, that is dependant on their weapon, to deal full damage. As opposed to facehugging or backpeddaling all the time.

It creates more dynamics, there are more variabls so to speak to take care of. Thus a higher skill ceiling for the good players.

If there can be improvements, which there certainly can in this game, then it is never a good idea to be close minded about every single game mechanic without providing arguments as to why it shouldn’t change.

The sweet spot system is to reward good range game with full damage as opposed to either facehugging and lookdown, which messes with the balance of weapons.

A stab shouldn’t do full damage when its in your face since it feints are unreadable and provides for a gambling playstyle that isn’t realy fun. Same goes for any attack in facehug feint.

If you do choose to facehug however, you can still do that but at a small price and that is a bit of reduced damage.

Team positioning in scrims becomes also realy important, even more important. People will trade less in facehug range and combo’s. People have to be aware of when and how they swing instead of the platonic facehugh/reverse overheads meta that isn’t realy fun or deep.

You can also survive longer against multiple opponents who want to gank you upclose. If they want to kill you asap they’ll have to be more considerate of their swing and range as opposed again, the platonic facehug meta that ends up in gambling feints and overheads.

You can’t see if a fast strike is going to be a feint or not upclose. So the trade of for that boost in offensive capabilities or chance in landing a hit should mean that you do relatively less damage as opposed to other strikes.

• Just do a search for old threads and you’ll find plenty more arguments.

• Global Moderator

Well technically Lion is right. It does create a higher ceiling.

Its just that in deadliest warrior only about 0.1% of the players are at that level. To drag your attack in such a way to still deal 100% damage while putting your opponent off.

• I don’t mind the mechanic, it gives reason for players to space better which I prefer, because I can’t stand constant face hugging. DW did it pretty badly, some weapons sweet spots were at the bottom of their swing so you had to drag upwards on overhands just to manage it, otherwise 90% of your non-accel / non-delayed hits were green or in some outlier cases, blue. It can be done a lot better.

• @lemonater47:

Well technically Lion is right. It does create a higher ceiling.

Its just that in deadliest warrior only about 0.1% of the players are at that level. To drag your attack in such a way to still deal 100% damage while putting your opponent off.

Thats an insult to every one can normally attack within range because thats all you do. Its not some super nifty high trick you need to do. Just a small adjustment and that has alot of impact on high lvl play.

@Mr.Lion:

I haven’t seen a single argument thus far except vague terms like “cluncky”. Its not realy cluncky. The overal pacing and smoothness stay the same. It evens gets smoother and more reliable gameplay since good players will gravitate to keep the optimal distance, that is dependant on their weapon, to deal full damage. As opposed to facehugging or backpeddaling all the time.

It creates more dynamics, there are more variabls so to speak to take care of. Thus a higher skill ceiling for the good players.

If there can be improvements, which there certainly can in this game, then it is never a good idea to be close minded about every single game mechanic without providing arguments as to why it shouldn’t change.

The sweet spot system is to reward good range game with full damage as opposed to either facehugging and lookdown, which messes with the balance of weapons.

A stab shouldn’t do full damage when its in your face since it feints are unreadable and provides for a gambling playstyle that isn’t realy fun. Same goes for any attack in facehug feint.

If you do choose to facehug however, you can still do that but at a small price and that is a bit of reduced damage.

Team positioning in scrims becomes also realy important, even more important. People will trade less in facehug range and combo’s. People have to be aware of when and how they swing instead of the platonic facehugh/reverse overheads meta that isn’t realy fun or deep.

You can also survive longer against multiple opponents who want to gank you upclose. If they want to kill you asap they’ll have to be more considerate of their swing and range as opposed again, the platonic facehug meta that ends up in gambling feints and overheads.

You can’t see if a fast strike is going to be a feint or not upclose. So the trade of for that boost in offensive capabilities or chance in landing a hit should mean that you do relatively less damage as opposed to other strikes.

Here here this man speaks the truth!

• so whats going to happen when your enemy knows fully about the mechanic and uses his movement to fuck your swings up everytime? have u factored ping into it aswell? when ur enemy has a fast short weapon and u have a long one and he forces facehug?

yeah you thought about that? no? thats what i thought

like i already said, gamble and inconsistency simulator 2014 if this gets introduced

• @CRUSHED:

so whats going to happen when your enemy knows fully about the mechanic and uses his movement to fuck your swings up everytime?

@CRUSHED:

when ur enemy has a fast short weapon and u have a long one and he forces facehug?

You just feint him when he gets close. Easy kill. You’re still on even grounds you both do slightly reduced damage then since you’re both in facehug range, no problem here. Good player would either feint, kick or side step and drag.

Its not like every fight happens in facehug 24/7 even in the current state of the game.

@CRUSHED:

have u factored ping into it aswell?

What about it? What will it change? If you play against people with gypsy ping thats your own problem with or without sweetspot.

@CRUSHED:

yeah you thought about that? no? thats what i thought

Hot shit Crushed thinking he outsmarted me. HUEEE

@CRUSHED:

like i already said, gamble and inconsistency simulator 2014 if this gets introduced

Gamble? wtf are you on about it only changes damage in respect to WHEN you hit with your tracer. Last time I checked you can control that can’t you?

Inconsistent? There is only a slighty damage variation that is uniform over the whole lenght of the tracer in terms of time. With other words the slight variation in damage is consistent with the timing of your swing.

Is that too hard for you to deal with? Time your swings?

• lol if you want to solve the “problem” of fast attack, facehug feint etc, you might aswell do it directly rather than get around it with this sweet spot solution, it will do less damage yes but it will still be there for gamble, flinch etc so it’s useless and not intuitive at all for new players, why should we penatilize delay, fast attack etc anyway

+who the fuck is mr.lion seriously ??

• @Edmund:

lol if you want to solve the “problem” of fast attack, facehug feint etc, you might aswell do it directly rather than get around it with this sweet spot solution, it will do less damage yes but it will still be there for gamble, flinch etc so it’s useless and not intuitive at all for new players, why should we penatilize delay, fast attack etc anyway

I rather introduce chambering, alternate riposte swings and reduce the size of the parry box. You will never want to facehug ever again. Messing with the tracers at this point is not going to happen.

How would you solve it? ‘‘directly’’