Horde mod, playabilty and marketing…

• OK so I have been playing a lot of Horde mode as a change of pace. It can be a lot of fun with lots of options and choices throughout the levels. Do I get armor or hold off for a better weapon? Do I release Malrick or wait till later with the going gets tough? So it can be a lot of fun with just a few guys in a coop situation. I also really like the server player numbers at no more than 8, 5 is best and more challenging and gives you more kills for faster leveling up. It is really fun with just two and cam be really challenging at the higher levels.

So what is the problem? Well it is broken in many cases. Lots of bugs as you would expect. Hell even quitting a server can leave you in a loop where you are at the main screen but you are given a choice of what class you want to play and you cannot quit the game. HINT: type QUIT in console works great.

Then there is the whole thing about server stability and ping with lots of bots running around. As anyone knows when you load a lot of bots it taxes the server then you have some asshat with 200 ping hop in between rounds and the lag kicks in so bad for the next ten minutes while you are trying to finish the round. Usually he is a noob and doesn’t know better. They hop in and wonder why everyone is pissed at them and kicks him. HINT: High Ping Kickers on official servers…… this is a must.

Of course there are the stereotypical things that happen against the bots just like when you play against real people. Ghost swings are deadly in Horde mode. There are also the non functioning level unlocks where you cannot unlock the next gate to continue or servers that have round timers set so you never actually finish the game. So I hope that the bugs get cleaned up in the near future as there are many.

Marketing

That said, what gets me is the marketing of Chiv in general. They give us free game modes like Horde mode, Giant Killer and Duel mode when any marketing person would have said to sell them as expansion packs that way there would be dedicated teams working on bug fixes and the like. There would also be more new players and real valid income because new game modes/expansion packs would actually attract new and different players for their play styles and you would actually have an idea as to how successful a game mode is based on sales. DLC skins are masturbatory in nature and attract no new players.

But instead we get DLC skins, and not very good ones at that. (Sorry designers they are just bad). While you have made some income from the DLC skins I think you would and could have made a bigger buzz and had better sales if you would have sold the game modes as expansion packs. You would also have more people playing those packs because they actually paid for it.

Now don’t get me wrong here, I am all for free stuff. But business model wise, you missed the boat as you can always make more skins but game modes, there are only so many you can create and you would have set a precedent to actually have players want and pay for expansion packs even if they are small and simply a game mode. Thus every mode/expansion pack, even if it was $5 would generate buzz and a following for each. Where as the current DLC models has mostly pissed people off because they are forced to view things that they find abhorrent to the game.

I am sure that all the players that mostly play duel mode would be more than happy to shell out a few bucks for their favorite game mode and many more would have just to try out the new expansion. Yeah, sorry, you missed that income boat. But thanks for the free shit.

• They said all gameplay relevant content would remain free forever and it should. They can support it just fine even when it’s free. They don’t need to sell it to support it. But horde and the other modes are meant to be side games and they have more important stuff to focus on right now.

• I think you missed the point. And, why should it be remain free? The editor I understand but intellectual created property? It is not like I am talking $20 for each expansion pack. I am talking $10 and then it reduces like all game sales.

• It’s Torn Banner officially made right? It should be free because I believe all gameplay relevant content should remain free. I guess I missed your point because I thought you were trying to press for horde mode to have a price tag because you want it to be polished as quickly as possible. I already paid for DW, I certainly don’t want to pay for horde mode.

• See what happens when you give shit for free? You get people demanding everything to be free regardless of how many hours and overhead were spent on it. And yes, if people pay for something they appreciate more and it gets fixed faster. This is for all game modes not just Horde mode.

Now are you telling me that you like the latest game marketing strategy of giving the game for free but having the pay to play for better weapons and faster level ups? From a marketing strategy, I am sure that is making companies lots of money by getting kids to spend $100s if not thousands on a game worth $10 -$50

I am not pressing for anything really. I just don’t understand their marketing or lack there of. I, for the most part hate free games where you have to constantly spend real money to upgrade your weapons just so you can compete. But hey that is just me. And, yes, the new skins do suck.

• Horde mode is still in beta stage. I’m assuming that they’re spending a fair bit of time on making new horde levels and making the gamemode more stable so they can release a big balance update with a new Horde mode to attract more players. To be honest I wouldn’t be surprised if it coincided with a move to free to play.

I’ve been playing too and this is what I think needs to be fixed:

-Giant bots are wonky, you can end up standing inside them and then the new light blue tracers stop you from doing any damage. Do they have a collision bubble? Their attacks still seem really hard to block as well.

-Archer bots still never, ever hit you with projectiles.

-Bots sometimes launch out of the spawn zones, flying like 20 meters.

-Huge ping spikes, where everyone’s ping seemingly jumps up a few hundred ms. and game becomes unplayable. Someone said it’s due to unlocking a certain part of the map?

• This post is deleted!

• Oh god I hope they dont go to free to play. That unleashes a whole list of problems. If you think a free weekend is bad…. ugh. Then if they go to a pay to get stronger weapons and armor… then I am pretty much done playing…

• I may be wrong, but I do believe that these mods (giantslayers, black knight, horde mode) are created by individuals at TB on their own time. They are like any other player created mod.

Good news though, they are working on making horde mode work properly. They know about the bugs, and are working to fix them.

They also hired a new marketing manager not that long ago, so I suspect we could start seeing some things change in the future.

• IF that is the case then TB is missing out again as their side projects should be incorporated into the whole as long as they are employed at TB. Again bad contractual agreements from a business stand point about intellectual property rights. I am glad that there are other modes available, guess I am glad that they are free from a players stand point but as a business owner and in marketing for years, it seems like a bad move and explains when the buzz died early for Chiv overall.

• I agree that if it went F2P with purchasable combat upgrades then it would be game over.

I really don’t see them doing that though. It will just be cosmetics.

I think if they went free to play but with more modes like Horde it wouldn’t be so bad, a lot of casual nubs will prefer Horde, Giant Slayers, Black Knight etc. to proper TO.

• With almost 2 years into the life of the game, there is only so much “buzz” you can generate. I do notice though that a lot of people still recommend others to buy Chivalry during every steam sale, so I can only imagine how many units they sold since the last time they updated their blog about selling around a million copies.

I expect any new buzz that is going to be generated will be from the announcement of their next project (which I hopefully think) they are working on.

What do I know though. I don’t have a degree in marketing so I’m talking out of my ass with too many drinks in me, lol.

• Cheers Mate! hehe

From a marketing/business stand point game modes put into expansion packs always creates buzz. Everyone is excited to hear their next project. Imagine if they would have done that with the game mods as mini expansion packs…… Basic marketing the new and exciting.

• Developer

As far as the playability part of horde mode goes, I think we’re getting there. We just figured out the server killer ping issue, which is up on the workshop now in HordeTown and I’m going to write a bit of documentation on how to fix it for anyone who started a map with the old kismet if they don’t want to update to my overhauled horde kismet. It turned out to be caused by disabling player spawnpoints. So now we’ve got a Horde mod to go with horde maps - it doesn’t do a lot and you shouldn’t need it to play a horde map, but it does improve the experience a bit… minus getting stuck on the class selection screen if you leave a server.

The bots projectiles not working and invisible weapons are fixed too, but those are chivalry issues and have to wait until the next chiv patch.

• @Tyler:

As far as the playability part of horde mode goes, I think we’re getting there. We just figured out the server killer ping issue, which is up on the workshop now in HordeTown and I’m going to write a bit of documentation on how to fix it for anyone who started a map with the old kismet if they don’t want to update to my overhauled horde kismet. It turned out to be caused by disabling player spawnpoints. So now we’ve got a Horde mod to go with horde maps - it doesn’t do a lot and you shouldn’t need it to play a horde map, but it does improve the experience a bit… minus getting stuck on the class selection screen if you leave a server.

The bots projectiles not working and invisible weapons are fixed too, but those are chivalry issues and have to wait until the next chiv patch.

That’s good to hear, thanks for keeping us updated.

• @Tyler:

Rock on! It is a fun mode that I have really been enjoying. It would be nice if the Bot model collision bubble didnt scale up that way you could get a bit closer to them as the ghost swings are really bad against the big guys.

• Developer

Once its in a state where its presentable we will see about some marketing. This really just started out as a hobby project for me on the side and then got a bit of momentum and Tyler has brought it along to the point where its going to be presentable in his horde town map soon. We are hoping with the kismet cleanup more community members will make their own maps as well. Really glad you guys are enjoying it.

• Mod

I haven’t seen a horde server going for a while in Australia.

• The last time I played horde mode was when it was the simple map. A few of us high level people played but it was far too easy and boring by the time you reach wave 40 or so. It showed promise, the AI needs to be a bit less predictable. More weapon options would be nice too, at the time of playing the great sword was pretty much all you needed.

• @Tyoson:

I haven’t seen a horde server going for a while in Australia.

?? There’s always an official Horde mode server or two in Aus. Sure your server browser is working? Also check you don’t have a filter on.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.