Knight special idea.

• Just making sure some ideas get written down. It’s a long shot.

To make 1hand+shield with bastard swords more appealing. What if the knight special when wearing a shield was to be unflinchable in the no-feint window. Basically an extra 0.2s of unflinchable window.

Possible idea for chiv 2 as a general knight special with different weapon balance as well. I always pictured knights as hit-trading and constant pressure machines.

• MUH TRADES

CAVEMAN TRADE GAMBLE SIMULATOR 2014

on a serious note, fucking terrible idea. get the fuck outta here with ideas that encourage trading even more lol

• How about we reduce the recovery time after dropping a shield so that you aren’t completely useless/defenseless when using a shield?

That’d make 1h bastard swords more appealing.

• Nova what’s happening……like why

I think knights being a hit trade machine is special enough

• @randomlvl40+:

How about we reduce the recovery time after dropping a shield so that you aren’t completely useless/defenseless when using a shield?

That’d make 1h bastard swords more appealing.

That’d make shields more appealing (most likely norse, hws, etc), not 1h bastard sword + shield.

Their special was supposed to be being able to wield bastard swords with 1-h+shield originally before they integrated 1h no shield bastard sword. This makes that special better and might make 1h+bastard sword more useful.

• @CRUSHED:

MUH TRADES

CAVEMAN TRADE GAMBLE SIMULATOR 2014

on a serious note, fucking terrible idea. get the fuck outta here with ideas that encourage trading even more lol

Yea this idea is pretty bad. Sorry Nova :P

• I like the idea of Knights having a special that revolves around using shields, but that’d pretty much invalidate throwing axes. Not that that would necessarily be a bad thing, throwing axes could then be exclusive to Vanguard.

This particular one doesn’t strike my fancy though. More like Shield Wall - Knights receive less stamina drain and knockback when blocking with a shield. Something simple but meaningful.

• I agree that knights should be more focused around the shield, but I don’t think it should be limited to 1h bastard swords. They have so many great secondaries as well. And, well, hit trading isn’t exactly a fun or reliable mechanic in this game. It’s good to try to keep coming up with ideas, though.

@SlyGoat:

More like Shield Wall - Knights receive less stamina drain and knockback when blocking with a shield. Something simple but meaningful.

Isn’t this already the case for them? Not with the knockback but that knights receive less stamina drain when blocking with shields, I thought that was already part of their “tank” passive?

• We want less hittrading not more.

• @SOC:

I agree that knights should be more focused around the shield, but I don’t think it should be limited to 1h bastard swords. They have so many great secondaries as well. And, well, hit trading isn’t exactly a fun or reliable mechanic in this game. It’s good to try to keep coming up with ideas, though.

Isn’t this already the case for them? Not with the knockback but that knights receive less stamina drain when blocking with shields, I thought that was already part of their “tank” passive?

No, the knight-exclusive shields just have higher stamina absorption. Buckler/Heater on Knight function exactly the same as on MaA. Same for weapons.

• Might be a silly idea for this game, but what if moving shield up with other shield users gave you a movement boost and made you lose less stamina?

• @Monsteri:

Might be a silly idea for this game, but what if moving shield up with other shield users gave you a movement boost and made you lose less stamina?

Sounds neat, but a buggy nightmare. And still easily countered by firepots, lol.

And I’m only suggesting this for the bastard swords, not to make them more viable than anything else, but to give them a perk so that they can become viable in competition with their other loadout choices.

I always pictured knights to be primarily shield users.

• @NoVaLombardia:

so that they can become viable in competition with their other loadout choices.

1h Sword of War already has a competitive use.

The stab has ok reach, decent damage, and the same knockback as the 2h bastard swords.

And good shield user can Block/Tank a substantial amount of damage.

Add that into a coordinated team, and you’ve got a plausible setup.

I know I’ve run that class in scrims, but god knows what patch that was in.

• people say the bastard 1handed swords suck, i’m going to have to disagree there, and disagree with this idea… the whole draw to using the 1handed swords with or without a shield are the animations. Dragging and acceling these weapons can be very hard to read, so if you’re good at deceptive style animation play… these are the weapons for you.

i’m already sick of the hit trades going on right now

• clayton is getting brainwashed by commie yurop

@clayton yeah the animations are weird, but once you get used to them you’re used to them (because pretty much nobody uses them). I’m sure many have gotten used to john’s 1h longsword by now. It’s not completely like quarterstaff where the animations are super deceiving.

Idk how you can say 1h SoW RandomLv40. 1h longsword beats it in pretty much every way. We had Entire Population of China way back with 1h SoW, but i feel he could have done better with longsword if he had to choose between them.

• i’m not brainwashed, hit trades are really stupid right now. I just played earlier today and have been hit traded by enemies like they were my teammates. People aren’t flinching when they should and are flinching when they shouldn’t. Plenty of weapons are huge hit traders, the .8 flinch crap doesn’t help at all because people literally just spam when they’re being hit and then get a hit trade.

then you’ve got this idea which will make 1h swords less flinchable too causing more hit trades. I have my own opinions man whether they correlate with something some european said somewhere or not, i’m sure there are americans saying the same things.

also, 1h messer isn’t bad, maybe just use the messer since it’s good at everything.

• Longsword 1h is better with Swing and Overhead attacks and has a faster Stab animation.
    It is really good when is comes to 1h dancing and flailing around while doing decent damage.

Sword of War 1h is only superior when it’s stabs are used extensively.
    The 30000 knockback with its stab does wonders for controlling your opponent’s movement/footwork.
    Combine it with a shield and good teammates, and you’ve got yourself set up for some good poke marathons.

But that’s probably the most notable thing.

The most efficient use of SoW 1h is in a team setting.

The most efficient use of Longsword 1h is solo (mostly because the lack of stab damage/knockback and length/hang time of the weapon makes it a bit more difficult to not hit teammates).

• @randomlvl40+:

The most efficient use of Longsword 1h is solo (mostly because the lack of stab damage

The stab damage isn’t relevent enough, because the HTK ends up being the same. SoW has 5 more stab damage, but HTKs stay relatively the same across the two weapons. The windup, release, and combo speeds are the same too. The only difference is recovery by 0.05 in SoW’s favor (yay >.>). Longsword ends up having a very noticeable range difference which ends up being more valuable.

• @NoVaLombardia:

SoW has 5 more stab damage, but HTKs stay relatively the same across the two weapons.

About the Stab HtK.

The stab spam on vanguard will only 2 hit with longsword if you hit the head twice.
    On the SoW you only have to hit the head once.

On MAA the longsword stab has to hit the head at least once to 2 hit.
    The SoW doesn’t even need to hit the head for the 2 hit kill.

The Longsword has much better slashing damage, but SoW can stab twice faster than the Longsword can swing and/or overhead twice.

Add in the 30000 knockback for the SoW(compared to the 22500 for the Longsword) and you have a noticeably superior stabbing weapon, even with the shorter reach.

Either way, the weapons require different playstyles, and comparing the two is more or less pointless.

I’m just here to defend SoW 1h. Not debate on which weapon/playstyle is superior.

Bonus: You can Stab a Vanguard twice in the torso with SoW then heavy kick for the kill. You can’t do this at all with longsword unless you land a headshot(which would probably kill the Vanguard anyway unless you Stab headshot then LMB’d the torso)

• Wow, you actually sold me on the SoW 1h… I might try using it more…

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.